Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Galio...Support or AP?

So, I've played Galio AP mid, and dominated all of the games, 1 of em was full premade.
    I've tried support (like...4 months ago or w/e) and it was bad (No I was bad.)
    So....Galio AP mid or bot support?

10+ Year Old Account
    AP Mid.

10chars

AP mid with tons of MR. Profit!
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Personal preference I guess.

I think mid is best tho

AP/MR Mid with MR rune page... so delightful... so stronk..

Galio is one of my favorite champions to play, but I've yet to play him mid :3. I personally play him as solo top or support bot with flash/clarity for lane sustain. Nearly impossible to gank him top, and he offers a ton of support bot with his move speed increase and slow.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaanalla View Post
    Galio is one of my favorite champions to play, but I've yet to play him mid :3. I personally play him as solo top or support bot with flash/clarity for lane sustain. Nearly impossible to gank him top, and he offers a ton of support bot with his move speed increase and slow.
    Please clarity is so redundant... It's basically waste of ignite or TP.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

Well I like to get as much cs on him as possible top while dishing out as much harass as possible in the early game. So clarity is the way to go for me, it has a much shorter CD than TP, and normally mid/late game I'll be roaming or with the team, so TP doesn't help me out much then. (While roaming, yes, but I still prefer clarity over it)

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Galio can be mid, support or even top laner sometimes, actually. It's a great advantage to be able to fulfill any of 3 roles.

Galio is a GREAT support, his shield turns AD carries into tanks, and bruisers become nigh invincible. All his other spells have decent utility too, I mean a slow, speed boost and a hard CC isn't too shabby, eh?
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

Deleted
    Yep he is a strong mid laner, and his ultimate is so strong if you hit the right targets! And he is fun to play!!

Deleted
    I see him as an anti-AP mid tank, not support, not AP.

Galio is strong everywhere. I build him as AP-Tank, with Frozen Heart, Rod of Ages, Abyssal Scepter, Lichbane and Aegis of Legion along with Mercury's Threads ofcourse.

Tears things apart. Pop the shield on who ever is focused, and it is just peachy when they focus me, and heals himself for a whole lot. Q-E combo clears an entire wave of minions except canon one ofcourse, and it drops a carry to low HP in a split of a second.

I wish all his skins were as good looking as his classic one.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

Deleted
    Galio is hands-down one of the strongest champions in the game at the moment.

Powerful nuke, AoE taunt ultimate, a shield that makes you nigh impossible to kill.

That shield. Put it on a bruiser and watch him be fucking unstoppable while you go in position for you ult. Galio's ult is gamewinning.

He is NOT support, and it's a waste to play him as such! Why? He needs tankiness to use his ult, and he needs the AP to do proper damage. And that shield also scales with AP.
    You can play him as support, but he will fall off lategame. 45 mins into the game, you taunt their AD carry without being tanky because you're support... "Ashe has slain Galio".

Top or Mid, definitely. He is SO strong mid, because he can just stack that F'ing MR and be invincible. + His shield.

He is a counterpick top. E.g. if they send Vlad or Kennen top, maybe Warwick even.
    Galio with blue owns any lane.

Thnx for the responses ! Helped me to think about what to do in 2/3 lanes, and the counterpicks from Athanasios, ty !
    I play Galio as a AP/MR glasscannon...tho Ill never die ! And I have to agree that Galio is really really stronk, cant really beat him when he has blue...constant harras and shield, just impossible. I normally use the shield on myself in teamfights, cus im getting focused (lalal ulti taunt sup) and the team just burns em up while I keep em there.
    Whos the first prio with shields in a team fight? yourself, carry or bruiser?

---------- Post added 2012-04-20 at 08:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaanalla View Post
    Well I like to get as much cs on him as possible top while dishing out as much harass as possible in the early game. So clarity is the way to go for me, it has a much shorter CD than TP, and normally mid/late game I'll be roaming or with the team, so TP doesn't help me out much then. (While roaming, yes, but I still prefer clarity over it)
    I never go clarity, cus I got Mp5 runes / I get 2nd blue after 7min mark, OR probally blue (lil chance for that), but you dont need clarity. Its a waste for a summoners slot. TP/flash or Ignite/flash = win. Ignite will net you an easy kill, while flash you can escape or flash into an teamfight and ulti, also changing the teamfight into YOUR favor. Dont use Clarity, get MP5 seals.

---------- Post added 2012-04-20 at 08:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by akts View Post
    Galio can be mid, support or even top laner sometimes, actually. It's a great advantage to be able to fulfill any of 3 roles.

Galio is a GREAT support, his shield turns AD carries into tanks, and bruisers become nigh invincible. All his other spells have decent utility too, I mean a slow, speed boost and a hard CC isn't too shabby, eh?
    Tho the shield scales on AP, dosnt it? Seen galio supports in ranked, its way better picks than him. Tried him as support my self, its bad (IMO). AP /anti ap tank mid is win.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzleMyGrizzle View Post
    Thnx for the responses ! Helped me to think about what to do in 2/3 lanes, and the counterpicks from Athanasios, ty !
    I play Galio as a AP/MR glasscannon...tho Ill never die ! And I have to agree that Galio is really really stronk, cant really beat him when he has blue...constant harras and shield, just impossible. I normally use the shield on myself in teamfights, cus im getting focused (lalal ulti taunt sup) and the team just burns em up while I keep em there.
    The CD shouldn't be too high if have a bit of CDR, so you can initiate with putting it on your bruiser or yourself (Depends on which if you initiate and how tanky you are). Then save the next one for the carry if the fight goes on for so long. Your shield won't save your AD if he is stupid enough to put himself in position to be focused.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzleMyGrizzle View Post

---------- Post added 2012-04-20 at 08:37 AM ----------

I never go clarity, cus I got Mp5 runes / I get 2nd blue after 7min mark, OR probally blue (lil chance for that), but you dont need clarity. Its a waste for a summoners slot. TP/flash or Ignite/flash = win. Ignite will net you an easy kill, while flash you can escape or flash into an teamfight and ulti, also changing the teamfight into YOUR favor. Dont use Clarity, get MP5 seals.

---------- Post added 2012-04-20 at 08:40 AM ----------

Tho the shield scales on AP, dosnt it? Seen galio supports in ranked, its way better picks than him. Tried him as support my self, its bad (IMO). AP /anti ap tank mid is win.
    Even with his passive, building MR means you are not building Glass Cannon. A true, Glass Cannon definition build for AP consists of 100% pure damage output. Generally a bad idea, since Rylais offers sustain/slow and other items do good stuff too. But on Galio, with that ultimate, you want to be able to take damage, not dish out damage. I think his ratio's are pretty mediocre and his Q is easy to dodge, so save the damage for your top and just build tanky. This doesn't mean you should forego damage entirely, by all means get a RoA or abyssal scepter, they rock on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    Even with his passive, building MR means you are not building Glass Cannon. A true, Glass Cannon definition build for AP consists of 100% pure damage output. Generally a bad idea, since Rylais offers sustain/slow and other items do good stuff too. But on Galio, with that ultimate, you want to be able to take damage, not dish out damage. I think his ratio's are pretty mediocre and his Q is easy to dodge, so save the damage for your top and just build tanky. This doesn't mean you should forego damage entirely, by all means get a RoA or abyssal scepter, they rock on him.
    Never built him Full glasscannon. Classcannon is "ok" if you have a Amumu to initate or whatever, but you shouldnt build him classcannon. MR / AP / HP and/or hp to have sustain while ulting. I do go for Scepter cus of the health / hp. I could go for Rod of Ages, but I rather not. Gonna try to go for 4 archangles, rabadons and spellpen/cdr boots. Just to see how much I can burst pps down. tho I wont survive long in my ulti, the dmg will still be done and the team will pick up the rest unless I get a quad-penta.
    Tho I never get a penta at any champs...only quads and its annoying as hell. Got Unofficial penta @ Fiora once, but Im galio is worth trying full classcannon.

---------- Post added 2012-04-20 at 11:16 AM ----------

Also, with Galios ulti as a tankyap you will do about..400 dmg in total, or 600. Cant remember if the ulti at lvl 3 will do 400 dmg by it self or 200. + the amount of AP you got. Lets say you have, 600 ap, your ulti does 400, and 400 + the ap ratio....about 1.5 or 1.0, which means that it'll do around.. 300-450 dmg over all with your ap. so 400 + lets say 450 = 850 dmg. After the ulti Q on em and they will just drop dead.

With my build, I had 2 AD carries with phantoms run after me, keeping myself alive with the shield. Occasional pokes would just heal me, then ofcourse I would go low again in CD, but once E is up, they had trouble catching up.

They both died to the turret because I whittled down their HP with my Q.

Read a few select cursewords in /all after that.

Galio is an offensive tank. Like Malphite. You get everything you need with Frozen Heart, Abyssal, Lichbane and RoA. If the enemy didn't get a nice early game like I did, I switch that Aegis into a second RoA. Having 4k HP with 190 Armor and MR, along with 400ish+40 AP (Elixir, add Baron if you want too) means you heal yourself when they hit you when you put it on yourself. (Seriously, 280 armor and MR. Yea, come at me bro.) He can chase and escape perfectly. Put your shield up right before you ulti and you will be full when the ult ends, even if you had 50% HP when starting. The heal dwindles a bit, but it still adds up for a good chunk of 600-900 HP if you can get all 5 of them attack you in ult with shield up.

Q has a good range, and with practice it'll be devastating against any carry. Start with Null Magic Mantle, around 70 MR with MR per level runes and you can 3 shot a carry with it. Works like a charm if you go 5v5 at the blue buff at LVL 1. No one expects that much damage from a tank, and once hit, they can't escape either.

The day they make a legendary skin for him is the day they get my money

About his ult: It is 400 + 0.6 AP + damage received up to 616. The additional part also scales off AP, ratio of 0.6 (Which is high for that ulti.) So if you land it well, say at least 3 champs, you get 616 + 0.84 AP damage on them. Yea, it is easy to hit 1k damage with it while still being a tank.
    Last edited by Scorage; 2012-04-20 at 12:10 PM.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

Deleted
    Good job getting the important squishies in your ultimate if you don't build tanky.

Plus, giving your carries time to combo the enemy for ~2 seconds does SO much more damage than your ulti, that it seems worthless to build on it for yourself. And people seem to forget others have/get MR meaning your damage plummets unless you get MP. I just feel it is a waste of potential to build as a carry with his skillset :/ As a tank people should not attack you, or even as a bruiser, so if people are doing that to you when you are on 4k hp with 200 mr/ar then they are doing something wrong, which is entirely different situation on its own. Oh the damage I've dealt on my hybrid Amumu plays...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorage View Post
    Galio is an offensive tank. Like Malphite.
    This. I play Galio with some degree of frequency...and almost always when they have an AP solo top.

My build is pretty standard...

Rush Chalice for spam-city ownage.
    Merc treads
    RoA
    Abyssal
    Frozen Heart
    Guardian Angel

*if it goes way late, sell Chalice and buy Banshee's Veil

Tons of armor, tons of MR, and something like +80 additional AP due to MR before the Chalice gets sold.

Absolutely boss hero.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.