Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Whats stopping people from trolling Dynamic events?

Ok, so i was thinking to myself last night.. How Dynamic events scale to the amount of people within the area.

So what were to happen if a guild/group of 50 butt plugs all went to a Dynamic event and just stood around so the Dynamic event is scaled up to 70ish people while there is only 20ish actually doing the event?

I'm sure im not the only person who has though of this. Hopefully the community don't have a mind like mine :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to contribute on the actual event to scale it. So standing around won't do anything. And if those 50 trolls stop doing dmg after scaling the DE up, it'll just scale back down again.

The game will only take into account those who are considered to be actively taking part. It will treat them as though they're not there.

Hopefully, outside of the already-explained factor of only taking in active participants into account for scaling, a simple desire to not be a d-bag.

But that would be asking a lot of a normal human being.

Deleted
    keep in mind for each dynamic event Anet created/creates they asked a question. How can i grief this. Thats why stealth DE's where people have to stealth around are not implended as someone can grief by popping up and then the rest is seen aswell

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh makes sense now. Thats good because i actually remember a group of people doing this in RIFT back at release. Not sure if they were trolling or AFK, but basically the Rift took over and destroyed everyone.

Thanks guys =)

That's a big load off my chest I must say...knowing people of the MMORPG-playerbase, I was sincerely worried about trolling in events and reliving thee Rift rifts...hah.

Good to see that they have made sure that the events can't be trolled!

As others have said you have to be actively participating for it to count you towards scaling. When designing each event, ANet looks at it and says "How can we grief this?" If they can find a way to grief they try to fix it, if they can't fix it they scrap it entirely and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    That's a big load off my chest I must say...knowing people of the MMORPG-playerbase, I was sincerely worried about trolling in events and reliving thee Rift rifts...hah.

Good to see that they have made sure that the events can't be trolled!
    Yh, they've basically said......ok guys, griefing in any form sucks. How do we remove it? And gone about finding solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by trakbob View Post
    You have to contribute on the actual event to scale it. So standing around won't do anything. And if those 50 trolls stop doing dmg after scaling the DE up, it'll just scale back down again.
    Scaling is done with additional mobs (not stronger onces since there is no trinity). So if they start attacking, those new mobs will come and when they leave the area - will those mobs despawn?
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Scaling is done with additional mobs (not stronger onces since there is no trinity). So if they start attacking, those new mobs will come and when they leave the area - will those mobs despawn?
    Bosses and the like can very easily gain new skills as more people show up, you don't need the trinity to create a challenge. The way it works is the game checks how many people are participating and spawns an appropriate number of mobs or changes other objective values accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Bosses and the like can very easily gain new skills as more people show up, you don't need the trinity to create a challenge. The way it works is the game checks how many people are participating and spawns an appropriate number of mobs or changes other objective values accordingly.
    Yh...that's true for bosses certainly...but he actually raises a point I'm not sure about.....I'm sure you must know though.....what happens with mobs spawned due to participation, but then participation scales down? Do, for example, the centaurs run off, and "avoid" for lack of a better term as i've not played?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I'm not sure about this actually. But I would think that it's not the number of mobs that scale, but rather the spawn time. Besides, the health of the mobs could scale, as long as the dmg output is the same. And we also know that some of the mobs gain additional skills relevant to the number of participants.

Deleted
    Scenarios like this only occur in your mind.

I can't for the life of me fathom a scenario where a bunch of people would deliberately grief other players just to make a particular event much harder. Especially not considering that GW2 doesn't have multiple factions.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2012-04-18 at 11:39 AM.

Deleted
    Is there a limitation to how many times the event can scale up?

Let's say that Shadow Behemoth (as seen in the videos) spawns and like 1500-2000 people decide to attend to the event,would the scaling up stop at a fixed ammount of people or what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Wouldn't be so sure about that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I don't think there's anything unique about MMORPG players.

The same thing happens anywhere that anonymous people can gather and are given the opportunity to be complete dickheads at the expense of others.

Nice to see they've thought about it and realised only they can stop it. The way to combat trolling is to have no reward for it and make it more fun to play properly.

Quote Originally Posted by DoriqQC View Post
    Is there a limitation to how many times the event can scale up?

Let's say that Shadow Behemoth (as seen in the videos) spawns and like 1500-2000 people decide to attend to the event,would the scaling up stop at a fixed ammount of people or what?
    Well that many won't happen, but they said elite events support and scale for over 100 people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

I can't for the life of me fathom a scenario where a bunch of people would deliberately grief other players just to make a particular event much harder. Especially not considering that GW2 doesn't have multiple factions.
    Well you have obviously never played Rift huh?
    Trust me some people get bored and organize these events, Really funny but frustrating at the same time.

i think they've done all they can to prevent it, but i'm sure there is a way to still complicate things to be an ass

the ONLY way is to make that person accountable, put them on your ignore/whatever lists, take note of their guild, etc

in real life most people act the way they should out of fear of consequences. there simply has to be consequences to keep that behavior in check