Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    nah i doubt it's needed, i know countless young age people that are great (not good, but great) at games, and pretty much all my friends (24+) are totally shit at games, so age barely means anything. As for maturity, i log in to play, not for social aspect.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KobraKai View Post
    Never mentioned it was to keep young people or trolls out in my original post. Though it was my fault I wasn't more specific. I just think older people are able to relate easier with players of there own age.

The 25yr or older was just an example I threw out there not the definitive age cap. Yes young players can be annoying but then again we probably all were when we were that age. Older players can also be annoying though with the anonymity of the internet its hard to honestly gauge another players age.

Though I guess all of this can be bypassed by just making a guild of adult or mature players. Therein lies the problem. Of all the guilds I've ever been a part of everyone tries to be a comedian. I'm down with the jokes but most of the time I just lol to not be rude when what I really want to say is "you're not funny, please stop trying".
    I don't think that would be a good idea either. One of the major pointspoints of MMOs is that you can meet all kinds of people without knowing how old they are, what gender they have and what they look like.

I've met a lot of people through WoW that became good friends. Had I met them in RL first I would've changed the side of the street I was walking on, because they're not the type of people I'd like to meet.

So by filtering out a certain age group, what's to stop you from filtering out the other gender? Or nationality (yes I know that language servers are already doing that to a certain amount)?
    If you don't like people, don't hang out with them.

I also started WoW with 16 and made lots of friends, younger (12) and older (~50) back in vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stupid idea. If you want to get away from the younger generation make a guild. /thread

10+ Year Old Account
    It would never happen because it would anger all the pedophiles, and bad parents out there, and would actually make people accountable for the type of content they choose for themselves to come into their home, even that of a strictly more adult natured server. That is pretty much the long and short of it.

People rather complain about the problem and live in a cesspool rather than try to clean it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperomegaOP View Post
    you assume all people under 25 are not smart enough to play with the big boys..

well what if those intelligent youngsters want to play with people who are also mature but they cannot becuase they are older and on a different server?

we will lie about and move over to that server

then the immature play with the immature and get nothing done or there is simply not enough people left on that server and those immatures reroll, repeating the cycle

im 15 btw
    I just wanted to point out that many of us older folks just want to avoid immature teens making rather silly assumptions and then getting all righteous about them on constant basis.

Like you did in the quote above.

That said, while a nice idea it will obviously not hold, through it would likely deter enough to make such people much less of a nuisance.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-04-21 at 08:27 AM.

Deleted
    The only way to do this is to make one elitist server with strict in-game police force.
    1. Accepting people after they have played the game for 6 months.
    2. Checking their forums behaviour.
    3. Checking logs in raids and dungeons.
    4. Checking previous history with guilds and asking about them in those guilds.
    5. Accepting players as trials and following their progression, behaviour etc.

But that would be an insane amount of work since there will be many of those who want to get on such server.
    I am not talking about age but gaming history of each character.

But, by all means, if there will be such players with lots of free time etc. - developer can dedicate one such premium server (with extra charge to cover extra expenses) to this playerbase.

Deleted
    One thing ive learned is that age has nothing to do with how mature a person is, i once had a 14 year old guild leader and that is the most mature leader i ever had, age doesnt matter, age restricted servers not needed in any way. the end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by duguild View Post
    Age doesn't always equal maturity, i've played with some pretty horrendous older players.
    Pretty much this. People over 25 arent always better than those under 15 so wouldn't really make a difference. As long as there is an unlimited ignore list, it's not a problem.

Some of the best players and most friendly people I've met online are below the age of 25. I think it's silly and narrow minded thinking to say that as soon someone is 25 he/she could be counted as "good enough"...

So no, I really hope Anet has more heart than that.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 10:46 AM ----------

There WILL be trolls, there will be bad players, there will be bad encounters...GW2 will get the same online community, the same type of players (human!) as every other mmorpg AND it's free at that...people saying that GW2 will have the best community ever are setting themselves up for sad sad days indeed. That's why I'mma find myself and my friends a guild as soon as possible or make our own and just do the WoW thing...stick to people you know, treat others like air until they show that they're worth noticing as you play with them, and make good use of the ignore list.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 10:47 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I just wanted to point out that many of us older folks just want to avoid immature teens making rather silly assumptions and then getting all righteous about them on constant basis.

Like you did in the quote above.

That said, while a nice idea it will obviously not hold, through it would likely deter enough to make such people much less of a nuisance.
    Who's making silly assumptions, thinking that 25+ means maturity and humility? I think some posters in this thread show us exactly why this thinking does not hold...

While I don't think there should or could be age restricted servers, I have chosen RP servers in the past because usually, not always, it has a more mature playerbase. Muturity being a state of mind, not days on a calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post

Who's making silly assumptions, thinking that 25+ means maturity and humility? I think some posters in this thread show us exactly why this thinking does not hold...
    I find it ironic it's Lucky posting that.

Deleted
    I thought this was something people have already figured out, that age does not actually matter of mature you act.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    No. Bad idea, won't change what you're trying to change. Immature people come in all ages, and you have to accept that. I'd like a server that doesn't have stupid people, but that doesn't mean I think a server that requires high IQ score before you can join it would be any fun.
    So much this.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

mature is a word people pull out of their asses when they want to feel "above the target audience"

i'm 32, raising 2 girls by myself, do everything for them, work and pay my bills and i can still troll /2 like a boss.

bored people are who you want to get rid of. and crack down on what you say you're going to.

i'm "mature" enough to get over whatever you seem to be hung up on though. try that for once, just ignore the people who annoy you, don't let them annoy you. if you're actually more mature and INTELLIGENT you can do this. it takes a certain type of smarts to get under everyone's skin. takes another kind to not let that person do it to you.

not an age restricted server.

Pointless would divide a lot of players that being one.
    Second kiddies would use parents IDs anyway... .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    try that for once, just ignore the people who annoy you, don't let them annoy you. if you're actually more mature and INTELLIGENT you can do this. it takes a certain type of smarts to get under everyone's skin. takes another kind to not let that person do it to you.

not an age restricted server.
    This even more so. This is what I do. I play with idiots all the time, and all I do is ignore their stupidity. To be fair, a lot of the time I'm straight-up anti-social and don't talk at all, but ignoring people doing stupid shit will go a long way.

Steve Hughes may be a comedian, but his little rant on "being offended" really needs to be taken to heart.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I've known my fair share of non-mature people who were in their twenties, while knowing very mature people of 16 years old. So no, age is a stupid way to measure how mature someone is. I might be an indication, but that's all it is. Not enough to use to lock large amounts of people out of servers.

Deleted
    I would say that it would be nice to separate the mature players from the immature, however age does not equal maturity, there are a lot of immature adults hiding behind the internet and there are also some, although not nearly as many as there are of the former, people under 18 who are mature (which I like to include myself as, aged 14). Unfortunately there is no way to directly tell a person's maturity and while age is often a good indicator there would still be trolls and there would be people like me trapped in a whiny sea of entitled "nothing-beats-CoD" players so really the best you can do is find a group of mature players that have similar likes to you- RP/PVP/PVE - and ignore those who are being immature and douchey. That's my plan anyway ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Having always been the "Younger" player in guilds and groups of friends playing games, I've always been told I'm more mature than 90% of the adult population. I know it's not true for most, but in my 7 years of playing games online, I always found the adult population to be the more immature bunch.

The youngsters may have been annoying, but I never saw them/us as immature.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Imagine how ruined the under 25 servers would be then.