Need some help with the mage in my group.

So basically, we have a weekly problem with our Mage under-performing in comparison to others. He has the legendary, and decent gear, but his numbers are always just lower. He switches between arcane and fire a bit, and I dont know entirely if that is the problem. Im just wondering if you guys would be so kind as to offer me some advice that I can pass on to him to help his performance.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...score/advanced

This is his Armory.

http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/68752/

These are our logs. Any of the 10H clears should include him, but if you want our most recent clear I've included it below.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ranvnlmg5cgtugih/
    Last edited by moveth; 2012-04-21 at 12:02 PM.

Deleted
    I am more worried about your hunter

His stats seem okay, mastery is a bit above what I'd expect but perhaps it's gear pieces outside the general BiS items giving more.

I only looked at your recent Ultrax kill. First of all you have to consider raid buffs, they make up a large margin of dps. Is your hunter using the Dragonhawk? If not that's an 8% loss. You also have no 10% spell power so that's another 4% loss.

38.5k without these buffs and with relatively normal skill and normal rng is about what you'd expect. He could probably push above 40 even without these buffs and normal rng if he perfected himself though.

His Combustion only did 738k dmg, which means he used it okay 2 times, or used it on crappy ignites 3 times. Tell him to get an addon that tracks ignite size for better Combust usuage.

There are loads of other things that could affect his dps without him being bad, he could have sub-optimal ping, laggy hardware.. etc etc.

Can't really say much else without specifics from the mage himself.

EDIT: His Combust ticked 24 times, that's 2 uses, I would have expected 3. His Combust crits did an average of 27k. That's really bad.
    Last edited by Vakna; 2012-04-21 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    I am more worried about your hunter
    Im going to be making one for the hunter as well. Im working on one person at a time.

im pushing 40k+ on ultraxion sometimes up to 45k as a 400 ilvl fire mage.. him at 403 should be easily 40k+ for a stand still type of fight..
    considering buffs though would drop his dps or raise it.. its true its a lil low but could be worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would usually generally give some tips and compare to mages I have in my guild, however...

All the mages in my guild are horribly underperforming as well and blaming it on gear >.>

I know I personally as Destrolock consistently pull 45k on Ultraxion HC if I actually try.
    I know mages are supposed to rank incredibly high on such fights.
    I know your mage isn't terribly shit geared.

I know I personally as Demolock consistently pull above 1.5M on each Tendons.
    I know warlocks are considered garbage on Tendons.
    I know mages are considered pretty darn good on Tendons.
    Why does he only do 5M on Tendons on that kill, when I can actually manage to do 4.7M on a try where I still make mistakes on it?

However, I'll just give some tips. Most of them will probably be irrelevant, as he just seems to not do as well as he should, considering he has legendary, the exact trinkets I use, 4set, and a 410 offset piece.

Bracers: Why do you even let him in Heroic raids without the crafted bracers? They are just plain better.
    Neck: Why does he not have Majordomo HC neck yet? It has a very high droprate afaik, and Majordomo HC is easy as hell atm. He only did Majordomo 5 times yet, he should at least attempt to do it more often to get that neck, which is BiS.

Secondary stats: Such low amount of crit and such high amount of Mastery... Now, I don't know everything for sure about mages, and apparantly he considers mastery better than haste over the cap, if that is not the case, he's doing something wrong, but let's say it is the case. Then he just has a very odd choice of gear. HOWEVER: I know that crit is still better, but he uses Artful Lava Corals... Why the heck? Potent Lava Corals, go get them, what are you doing!? For secondary stats present on gear, okay, however getting gems with just the plain wrong secondary stats, NO, not acceptable IMO.

Enchants: I personally enforce Lavawalker, as less time spent moving is less DPS loss (blinking uses GCD and should only be used when out of range of all attackable targets), however that shouldn't really affect your DPS that much.

Glyphs: as I'm not a pro mage myself I wouldn't know, but do Mirror Images benefit from the increased fire damage from Fire spec? If so, why does he not have that glyph for them? I'll just assume they don't.

I don't know, I think he's just "bad", or to put it more friendly: Not as good in his class as he could and should be.

My guild had a similar problem with all of the mages that we had were underperforming until we recruited our latest mage. His gear is probably slightly worse than the mage (though he also has the legendary) you mentioned but he pulled 47k DPS on our last heroic Ultraxion kill. From my experience, I've found that some mages just don't know how to play as well as others so it was a case for us to just find the right one.

However, at the moment we are having the same problem with a warlock in our raids very much so underperforming for the gear he has. He's at the moment the best geared player in the guild rocking 404 ilvl (wowprogress and wow-heroes ranks him top 3 warlocks on the realm) with the legendary staff and consistently finishes bottom or towards it on every encounter.

Ultraxion:

His Critical mass uptime should have been 99% or higher, it dropped once during the fight.
    His Crit Rating is very low for his gear level. Get him to use the gloves from spine (even 403 is better than 410 tier) and use Tier shoulders to make his 4set.
    He is also using 2 Epic gems with mastery on them which isn't ideal.