Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Well each to their own, grown ups to mature games, children to the childish games

Everything about the game is easily grasped by any typical child. Easy to understand the story, easy to grasp game play, brightly animated characters and graphics, complete with 'DBZ hair.' It's not just the art style, it's the lack of depth and adult themes in the game design.
    Hey, hold on, you just described every latest Blizzard game. No wonder there's so many children in the online communities. Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    The funny part is, Diablo 3 is a clone as well, made by random wow/blizzard devs that adapted the universe and 'modernised' the game, the only difference to other Diablo clones is that D3 is actually set in the same universe. A clone of the true primarch that is Diablo 2. Lets face it, Diablo 2 and not 1 was the better and more defining game. So truly, they are all clones of Diablo 2.
    Don't be ridculous. Diablo 3 is the next in the series. You don't call something a clone when it's the next release in a series. Duh.

Runic cant make anything original without it being epic failure. Glad they got kicked out of Blizzard.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Runic cant make anything original without it being epic failure. Glad they got kicked out of Blizzard.
    Eh give them some credit, Diablo I and II were fine and II is still wonderful to play

Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    Eh give them some credit, Diablo I and II were fine and II is still wonderful to play
    They wanted Diablo to be on of many roguelikes. If Blizzard didnt give them kick in the right direction, we wouldnt have Diablo as we know it.

You must be one of those "ZOMG DARK AND GRITTY, SO MANLY AND MATURE, COLORS FOR CHILDREN DUN DUN".
    Actually no, I am one of those who prefer higher polygon counts. That picture with the rainbow was what really got me interested in D3, it made me think that they were doing something different. But Torchlight -does- look like it could be played in flash. Look at spiral knights, pretty much the same style of graphics, and I can play that in my browser.

You must be one of those 'hurr durr anyone who likes anything Blizzard does must be retarded'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akfister View Post
    Remember the people who made torchlight is the people behind diablo 1 and 2 who isn't working for blizzard anymore, thats why its so simular to each other, both sounds and gameplay.

---------- Post added 2012-04-21 at 10:54 PM ----------

and didn't see someone wrote it on page 2, but they are right, its the once who once made d1 and d2 who made torhlight yea..
    It's funny that you belive that these few people were the only ones making Diablo 2 the way it became.
    I registered on MMO-Champion, and all I got was this lousy signature...

This is like asking "who copied whose hair, The Beatles or Justin Bieber?"

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    This is like asking "who copied whose hair, The Beatles or Justin Bieber?"
    Don't you know? Beiber's music is so bad it echoes back through time. Pretty sure the Fab Four copied it ironically.

Was talking to a friend the other day about D3 coming out. He was telling how annoying it was because so many of the people playing WoW today never got to play Diablo 1 or 2 because of their ages. It was so frustrating telling some 20 yr old that D3 was just like Torchlight, when what he wanted to say was Torchlight was a copy of the original Diablo's. But since the 20 yr old had never played the Diablo's he had no frame of reference other than Torchlight.

I mean anyone under the age of 25 today probably never played D2 (and that's being conservative) since it was 10+ years ago now. So the OP may not be trolling, he may actually not have known about the similarities between the Diablo's and Torchlight. But now he does know, and hopefully some people learned something new. I know I did, I didn't realize it was the founders (or designers) of Diablo that designed and produced Torchlight, but that makes a lot of sense. So, I've learned my new thing for the day. How about you? *chuckle*

Deleted
    Torchlight 1 was a great success, and the second will be an even bigger one. You seem a bit upset, little boi.

Torchlight 1 was a great success, and the second will be an even bigger one. You seem a bit upset, little boi.
    You just proved my point. In order to be succesfull, they have to catter to nostalgia junkies. This will later turn against them as they cant change a goddamn thing without them going mad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenX View Post
    Torchlight is the Diablo clone, it was made by some of the developers that had left Blizzard North after making D2.
    True. Torchlight copied a lot of things from Diablo 1, even the music is similar.

BUT, when playing Torchlight I noticed that the animations when cleaving mobs and the monsters dying look a lot like Diablo 3.
    And Torchlight was created before Diablo 3 was announced. So did Blizzard steal something back, or did they simply have the same idea?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    True. Torchlight copied a lot of things from Diablo 1, even the music is similar.

BUT, when playing Torchlight I noticed that the animations when cleaving mobs and the monsters dying look a lot like Diablo 3.
    And Torchlight was created before Diablo 3 was announced. So did Blizzard steal something back, or did they simply have the same idea?
    Does it matter? Games copy each other all the time, Improving ones well ''Copy'' to be more better in most cases. Torchlight is well obviously made by the people who were in blizzard north and such so of course things can be a copy and such.

Copying each other in terms of games is pretty normal and It's been happening awhile nnow.

Actually that comment shows you know nothing about them. Blizzard North was never a part of Blizzard they were both separate companies owned by Vivendi. The devs all quit Blizzard North back in 2003 in a mass exodus which left the company with only a handful of people remaining, which Vivendi couldn't recover from thus leading to it being shutdown in 2005.

When Blizzard North went out of business the parent company Vivendi still owned all the copyrights and they passed the title over to Blizzard. Blizzard itself never came up with the concept of a Diablo type game nor worked on one of it's titles prior to D3.

D3 is based on D2 and TL2 is based on TL1 which is based on D2. According to Bashiok Blizzard somehow managed to have Matt Uleman composed some music for D3 but he is now working at Runic. That's why both game are similar.

I'd posit that Torchlight is still the superior title given that it was developed, from inception to release, within 11 months.
    Such awful logic, just because a game was developed in less than a year doesn't mean it is superior. Torchlight was a god awful bore for me, I can still play Diablo and Diablo 2 easy, but Torchlight I couldn't get more than 2 hours in, it's just boring.

I also find your statement of Diablo 3 being the copy since the Schafers are working at Runic now, therefor making TL the original. Diablo is a series, TL is a series, no matter what TL will be copying Diablo as a series regardless of who is working on it.

You guys fuel these flames between Blizzard and Runic, the best part is that they have next to no animosity to each other. Fandom truly is a remarkable thing.
    Last edited by Eggowaffles; 2012-04-22 at 04:21 PM.

Rogue came first!

Rogue was the first dungeoncrawler and it's from 1980 (!)
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilarczyk View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Torchlight made by the same people who made the original Diablo, but that later split off from Blizzard and formed their own company? So that's probably why it looks so much the same.
    yep, you are right...

Tourchlight if i remember correctly, was made to test the engine for their further projects, thats why its pretty small in size like 300-400mb. People who were involved in D1 production made the Tourchlight, even the guy who made the music for D1 was involved in the Tourchlight music production, thats why the games feel the same almost.

Tourchlight 2 is the game that should show the real potential of the team behind it, first Tourchlight was just a test drive. At some point i think it was to be made into MMO, not sure if the ygave up on that part.

Sad thing is when they decided to release Torchlight 2, in the sense that they have waited til after D3 launch...

Especially with D3 being delayed from Q4 2011 to Q2 2012, that made the perfect window for Torchlight 2 to be released, and thousands of D3 fans would have picked it up just because they had nothing better to play until D3 came out... I know if Torchlight 2 had come out in Jan-April, I definitely would have picked it up with all of my friends to play in preparation for D3. Now that D3 is still coming out first, I probably won't even give TL2 a try.