Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    didnt bother reading all 6 pages of the thread.

the original developers of diablo 1 and 2 were the ones that created torchlight. you can say its a clone but its totally different. torchlight feels more diablo-ish, hopefully torchlight 2 gives that distinct feel to it as well.

that being said, d3 feels too blizzard'd. if you know what i mean. >_>

Conspiracy theories

Quote Originally Posted by reyareya View Post
    that being said, d3 feels too blizzard'd. if you know what i mean. >_>
    If you mean that Blizzard will make Hack/Slash ... MAINSTREAM again, I guess you're right.

My time and life is too precious to waste it on amateurish trials with niche markets.

I'd like to play the BIG ones as I can compare myself with 5 Million players instead of 600...

Blizzard made RTS mainstream, they made MMO's mainstream and that is what they will do with Hack/Slash games these days with Diablo 3.

--- The BEST thing is that all companies can make a hit sometime somewhere (like Angry Birds, Farmville, etc) ...

But Blizzard has now a long track record of publishing MASSIVELY successful games that DOMINATE a complete genre for a few years or more.

Call it their "Blizzard spirit" ... and that's what I like.

Everything else in Hack/Slash in the near future now thus becomes a Diablo Clone... and so true it is.

By the time someone, somewhere WILL come up to their highest standards of dominating the genre, Blizzard comes out with a new game within that genre and ... bahm, they'll set the new standards again.

I can't wait to see them doing Blizzard DOTA and incorporating the new Farmville within Titan...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-05-09 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reyareya View Post
    torchlight feels more diablo-ish,
    I felt many things while playing torchlight but that watered down Diablo clone didnt invoke the Diablo feel.

And dont get me started on that retarded quest system.

Deleted
    im goin with Georgie, its a conspiracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    You might as well claim that they copy reality, because they have OH MY GOD TREES, WHAT A BLATANTLY STOLEN IDEA. SWORDS? COPY PASTE REALITY? LAME.
    best answer other than the completely obvious torchlight IS the clone of diablo for indisputable reasons

though omg this quote would work for SO many other X copied Y discussions, might add it in my sig lol.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    If you mean that Blizzard will make Hack/Slash ... MAINSTREAM again, I guess you're right.

My time and life is too precious to waste it on amateurish trials with niche markets.

I'd like to play the BIG ones as I can compare myself with 5 Million players instead of 600...

Blizzard made RTS mainstream, they made MMO's mainstream and that is what they will do with Hack/Slash games these days with Diablo 3.

--- The BEST thing is that all companies can make a hit sometime somewhere (like Angry Birds, Farmville, etc) ...

But Blizzard has now a long track record of publishing MASSIVELY successful games that DOMINATE a complete genre for a few years or more.

Call it their "Blizzard spirit" ... and that's what I like.

Everything else in Hack/Slash in the near future now thus becomes a Diablo Clone... and so true it is.

By the time someone, somewhere WILL come up to their highest standards of dominating the genre, Blizzard comes out with a new game within that genre and ... bahm, they'll set the new standards again.

I can't wait to see them doing Blizzard DOTA and incorporating the new Farmville within Titan...

Eat shit, millions of flies can not be wrong. And compare yourself while doing it to millions of other flies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinitar View Post
    I haven't played D2, so this may not be a fair comparison. However, I noticed some jarring similarities between these two games, and I'm a little worried. I want to love Diablo 3, I want to have a blast playing through the whole thing, but I need to get this off my chest. So, where to begin?

The gloomy mood: It's similar to both games, and D3 does an excellent job at it. The dark atmosphere, coupled with the lore tidbits are an excellent combination. Who doesn't like a quick lecturing on the abominations you're battling?

The music: While it's different, New Tristram's music resembles the Torchlight city soundtrack. It's just so obvious that it got me thinking: Why would a huge company such as blizzard take inspiration from a lesser game? Perhaps I'm wrong, though I ask you kindly to give this post the benefit of the doubt.

There's a couple of small things too, like the lightning sparks that appear when using an enchanted bow(I'm not sure here; all I know is that my pal played a mage and used a bow), the healing wells, and the portal you can create to get to the city. They both share that oval shape.
    Well there is a beatiful thing called Time.
    Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.
    Time is a component quantity of many measurements used to sequence events, to compare the durations of events and the intervals between them, and to quantify rates of change of quantities in material reality or in the conscious experience.
    The temporal position of events with respect to the transitory present is continually changing; events happen, then are located further and further in the past.
    Time has been a major subject of religion, philosophy, and science, but defining it in a manner applicable to all fields of study without circularity has consistently eluded scholars.[
    So after this short lesson you can safely assume that if A pre-existed B then there is no way to A copy from B unless they have a time machine.
    Oh and oval shape of portals is pretty generic probably Blizzard should radically change basic principles likd shape and colors to state the obvious, so checklist
    - Square portals
    - Triangular balls of fire
    - Solid blood
    - Green humans
    - White goblins

10+ Year Old Account
    Diablo 1/2 were developed by blizzard north, then many of there main developers left to create other companies so blizzard shut down blizzard north (and scrapping the diablo 3 that they had been working on and getting a new team together to develop D3). Some of those people left and formed RUNIC games, who then made torchlight. So the reason it is so similar is that the same bunch of people that worked on D1/D2 essentially made torchlight. D3 ultimately will loose some of its "darker, gloomy" aspects due to different developers, but it's still the same story and general diablo feel.

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot2 View Post
    How can Torchlight be a clone if the same dudes that invented diablo did invent torchlight? Different lore, similar game design, improvements and refined game play. Sure, the Schaefers did not try to create something new and unique, but the word clone is as justified as it would be to call diablo 2 a clone of diablo 1 and diablo 3 a clone of torchlight.
    Simple: Does the game have the same name as a previous one, only with an incremented version number at the end? If yes, it's the next version. If not, then it's a clone.

You wouldn't call Mass Effect 2 a clone of Mass Effect 1. It's THE NEXT VERSION of the same game. It's more than a clone.

Some of the crap present in the TL2 beta would make D2 look good, nevermind D3. I mean Runic has to be that obtuse not to include full respecs and deliberating hiding info of not yet accessible skills in the skill tree. Isn't the whole point of TL2 is to make a better D2 game than D2 instead of regressing from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinitar View Post
    I haven't played D2,
    And now I know everything I really need to know when it comes to exactly how much background research you actually did before posting this topic.

As has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, Torchlight is pretty much just an iteration of Diablo II, which is an iteration of Diablo I. Not terribly surprising that Diablo III is possibly an iteration of Torchlight is some small ways. This is the nature of the industry, and when you are making games that fit into a very specific genre (like the Diablo Style Hack'n'slash action rpg), you will probably notice that many elements remain very similar across different games in the same genre, even if made by different companies.

Add to this the fact that Torchlight was created in part by people who worked on past Diablo games, and there you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    No, it's a childish game, hence the reason why my 7 yr old loves it. Everything about the game is easily grasped by any typical child. Easy to understand the story, easy to grasp game play, brightly animated characters and graphics, complete with 'DBZ hair.' It's not just the art style, it's the lack of depth and adult themes in the game design.
    Sorry, but that has got to be the stupidest thing I have heard anyone say on these forums in a long time. By that metric, 4/5ths of the major, big named titles released in the last 4 or 5 years would classify as "childish games". The entire mass effect franchise? Pretty sure my brother's 6 year old could finish that. I mean, it's not exactly difficult to pick up. Same goes with Diablo III. Hell, if I glued flashing lights to my left and right mouse buttons my cat could probably finish the Diablo III beta with only a small amount of help. Adult themes and dark colors or lack there of do not make a game Adult or Childish. Or are you now going to tell me that I am a child because I genuinely enjoyed Okami and the Disgaea games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because games have similar aspects dose not mean a certain game 'copied' another game.

You shoot people in CoD therefor ever other game where you shoot people has copied CoD? *Terrible example, but you know what i mean*

Tetris is a Lego clone!!!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
    Wow, you can clearly see some people stroking themselves while they think about Blizzard/Diablo 3.

Torchlight is obviously better than Diablo and Diablo 2 but inferior to D3. We'll have to wait and see what Torchlight 2 is like, but given it's already been delayed by about 5 months I have faith that they're giving it a decent amount of polish.
    O.o

I recently bought Torchlight, played through it on multiple characters, and I can say with confidence Diablo II was much, much better. The only thing Torchlight has on Diablo II is graphics, but even then the cartoonish nature of Torchlight graphics didn't work too well for me.