10+ Year Old Account

How to fit exercise into a busy schedule?

I work Monday-Friday 9-5 for 40 hours a week at a desk job, previously i was a very active groundskeepers/cleaner and I have difficulty getting exercise into my new crappy schedule.

Here is why I struggle:

7:00-8:30 a.m.
    Shower, hair, makeup, bag lunch, make breakfast leave for work. I get 10 minutes max of free time here.

8:30-9:00
    Getting driven to work (no licence yet)

9:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m.
    Work, Desk job, no breaks and in the middle of no where. sit for 8 damn hours, i try and get up for a walk occasionally but I'm always beaconed back to my station.

5:00-5:30
    Boyfriend drives me home

5:30-6:30
    Supper and Practise for my upcoming Road Test, need to get my own licence since working so far away is stressful.

6:30-9:00
    Time spent with boyfriend. We hardly get to see each other these days weekends aside and when we do we need to cater to his mother's coffee needs. As long as it's not raining we walk to get the coffee. Otherwise we just general couple stuff that I shouldn't need to go into detail over. We found 2 old exercise indoor bikes in the trash the other day and I'm trying to convince him into us working out together, since he wants to get more active too.

9:00-1:00 a.m.
    Go home, raid if it's a raid night (which may be killing me in the long run) and go to bed and get up at 7.

I know most people are going to flat out say cutting out raiding completely, but I consider it my mental health hours since working a desk job were I'm forced to sit all day is driving me insane and I joined WoW pretty much for that one reason.

My diet is pretty healthy overall and I don't smoke, drink or consume soda I just lack exercise. I have a very healthy weight for my height and age but some flabby muscles to tone.

That is not a busy schedule. There's plenty of time to workout, and most of those time periods you listed are nothing more than excuses to avoid working out.
    When Injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

You can exercise on days you don't raid, or wake up an hour earlier and (since you can't drive) run or possibly invest in some dumbbells and do simple weight training exercises.

Perhaps try seeing if your Boyfriend wants to go to the Gym with you for an hour? Doesn't have to be 5 days a week but maybe 2 times a week and then perhaps once on a Saturday/Sunday you go with him to Work Out at the Gym. Some Gym activities you won't be able to talk, but alot of them you can... You can catch up on events and day activities ETC whilst just Cycling, Jogging, Doing weights or whatever (You could even do some real sport like Tennis or Squash or something similar).

If WoW is your Stress reliever after a long day at the Office I wouldn't suggest Cutting out raiding... But perhaps when you're not raiding? Like most guilds will raid WED/THURS/SUN ... So if you're raiding those days (Or something similar) then on the weekdays you're not raiding perhaps head down to the Gym for a late night session, or go for a Run, then come home and chill out doing some casual WoW stuff for the 1.5hrs or so left with your night.

Deleted
    Not an intense exercise but what about being dropped/picked up from work a mile away so you could walk more ? Or jogging a mile or two on your way back from work and your boyfriend meets you farther ? Obviously it depends on the weather and the surroundings of you work place.
    Last edited by mmocafd6fe3fae; 2012-04-23 at 12:02 PM.

Deleted
    I think you could squeeze in an hour or so every day (or every 2 days) between leaving your work and having supper.
    I had a similar time-schedule, where I worked for 8 hours, leaving work at 6PM, rushed to the gym, arriving at 6:30PM, and finishing the workout at 7:30PM.
    I used to start raids at 9:00PM, just like you, so I had a 1h30 left to study/having dinner/preparing the next day lunch.
    Of course, I wasn't visiting my gf everyday, there were always the weekends for that, or those days during the weekend when I didn't worked out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to the gym with your boyfriend for an hour say, 2-3 days a week? go to the gym when you don't raid? surely you arn't raiding every day, or just go for a 30 min jog each morning

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps try seeing if your Boyfriend wants to go to the Gym with you for an hour? Doesn't have to be 5 days a week but maybe 2 times a week and then perhaps once on a Saturday/Sunday you go with him to Work Out at the Gym. Some Gym activities you won't be able to talk, but a lot of them you can... You can catch up on events and day activities ETC whilst just Cycling, Jogging, Doing weights or whatever (You could even do some real sport like Tennis or Squash or something similar).
    This would be great but we only have one gym in the area and it's 80-120$ per month and we are not financially well off, I have a budget of 40$ a week and if i made that investment I would not be able to have any spare cash, rest of my income goes to inflated gas prices (I pay for rides to and from work) and 85% goes into my savings account which is recovering from college. I'm looking for free suggestions, at home in a small room preferably with little no equipment. I can't find any online. Previously I was just jogging on the spot, stretching (with little results) and walking if the weather wasn't crap which it usually is here. I just don't want to have to go to a gym to work out it's too big of an investment with my poor income, and my boyfriend currently has none at all as he's paying for college with whatever he can get for volunteer work. I may start looking for a cheap small gym in the area that I may not be aware of.

I think you could squeeze in an hour or so every day (or every 2 days) between leaving your work and having supper.
    I can't do this until after I pass my road-test. I need to get my free driving experience in, I'm struggling with my driving instructor and she wants $90 per session and my road-test is weeks away so i get out mon-friday for an hour or so. It's a pain in the ass but I need to learn.

Go to the gym with your boyfriend for an hour say, 2-3 days a week? go to the gym when you don't raid? surely you aren't raiding every day, or just go for a 30 min jog each morning
    Jogging for 30-60 mins is fine by me if I go with my boyfriend in the evening, I'm not lying about taking nearly an hour and a half to get prepared in the morning. I tried getting up an hour earlier and was exercising in this period of time with no time restraints but I grew too sleep deprived (around 5 hours of sleep). As mentioned gym is not really possible with me and my bf's poor income.

Get some dumbbells, maybe a kettlebell or two and train with them at home at evenings, adding some bodyweight exercises ( I really recommend the book "Convict Conditioning" for those). Or just look for a full body-weight routine, if you can't spare money for weights right now. You can even train together!

Try mixing usual training sessions with HIIT - high intensity interval training.

Btw, WTH is "mucle toning"? Usually it's an euphemism for reducing body fat percentage. If muscles are "flabby", most likely they're just smaller that you think they are, and covered with some fat (looks like thick skin).
    Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2012-04-23 at 01:53 PM.

Deleted
    Go to hasfit.com, they have a 30 day get into shape program ( free obviously )
    And their videos are only 10 minutes long.

Deleted
    I work 10 hour shifts at a desk and it is a struggle to get the workouts in but it has to be done!

I just take runs on my lunchbreak and then when I get home head to the gym for a bit.

I would kill to work 8 hour shifts....... at least when you finish you have time to go for a run while there is still some daylight!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Go to hasfit.com, they have a 30 day get into shape program ( free obviously )
    And their videos are only 10 minutes long.
    This is perfect, I'm doing the 5 min. workout when I wake up and the 10 min. beginner exercise later on in the morning before going to work. I'll try the Intermediate level ones starting next week. My arms are very weak and they really need a workout I struggle to carry/lift things even if its only light. It's very rainy and the weather is unpredictable here so I needed free indoor solutions.