Installed 560 today and now I has a problem.

Today my EVGA 560 (fermi) arrived. I uninstalled my previous drivers, took out my old 9800, installed the 560, booted windows and installed the drivers. Rebooted and began playing a game or two. About 20-30mins into playing Warcraft, the screen feeezes and there were some lines/squares on my screen and I couldnt move my mouse. I waited for a bit and ended up doing a hard restart.

Since then (past few hours) when i load into windows it freezes with the same lines. I removed the drivers and the card and put my 9800 back in and now it wont load at all. Not in safe mode, etc etc.

Just wondering if there is ANYTHING I can try to do?

Specs:

intel quad core 6600
    gtx 560
    windows vista
    750w psu
    4g memory

If you need any other info just ask, any response would help!

SOLVED! Thanks, MMO!
    Last edited by zulmagi; 2012-04-24 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Solved

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you remember to hook the card up to the PSU?

If yes, then there might have been a short somewhere between switching cards, or your mother board might be broken now.

If windows won't load at all, then you might need to try using your Windows disc to perform a recovery, if the drivers caused an issue. If you have on-board video this would be easier to do until you can figure everything out. Avoid using the 560 and use your old card until you get everything working again, unless you have on board.

Just have to troubleshoot each part one at a time until you find the source.

Also, do you get POST?
    Professor Necomi - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Necomi/simple
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Did you stay grounded when installing?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zulmagi View Post
    Today my EVGA 560 (fermi) arrived. I uninstalled my previous drivers, took out my old 9800, installed the 560, booted windows and installed the drivers. Rebooted and began playing a game or two. About 20-30mins into playing Warcraft, the screen feeezes and there were some lines/squares on my screen and I couldnt move my mouse. I waited for a bit and ended up doing a hard restart.

Since then (past few hours) when i load into windows it freezes with the same lines. I removed the drivers and the card and put my 9800 back in and now it wont load at all. Not in safe mode, etc etc.

Just wondering if there is ANYTHING I can try to do?

Specs:

intel quad core 6600
    gtx 560
    windows vista
    750w psu
    4g memory

If you need any other info just ask, any response would help!
    Well, at first I was going to say your 560 might have been a bad one, but then you mentioned your old card also did not work. Can you boot into safe mode and see anything there? You may want to try that and then run a program called DriverSweeper to do a fresh install on video card drivers as it is highly recommended when you switch from an AMD to Nvidia card, you should wipe all remnants of the previous drivers out. Otherwise, you may have shorted something, maybe your video card slot shorted out when you swapped or something.

Can you open up a text document in paint or a web browser (anything that you can scroll in), and start scrolling? What happens with the lines? They become more and are they persistent (they sort of don't go away)? Are the lines white and/or pink? If so, this is what has happened to me when a graphics card is dying, already in its death bed.

However, since you mention that your mouse locks, I think it might be related to your motherboard. I remember a motherboard I had once, it killed any graphics card I put into it, even brand new ones. The only solution was to buy a new mother board. My money is on you having a faulty motherboard.

since 4.3 i get issues with my 560ti in wow. it only happens the first time i run wow after a computer reboot, then after that it's fine 99% of the time

4.3 definitely changed something and it damn sure wasn't the jump/dc bug that's nearing a year old

if this crap was happening with swtor or rift people would be slamming them. i personally have not found a fix, different drivers make no difference, etc

not sure your issue is related to your card though, it seems to go beyond that completely. what mobo and bios are you using and what else have you changed since your problems started
    Last edited by fizzbob; 2012-04-24 at 02:51 PM.

Use the onboard video and test each part until you find the source, but I believe you may have shorted out the motherboard or caused a short in the 560. Did you stay grounded during installation?

Finally loaded into safe mode, was able to delete and reinstall drivers and seems to be working just fine now.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.