Watercooling parts selection

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a water cooling loop for my gaming rig. I also want to try my hand at doing some case modding, so I'll be cutting up my old CM690II Advanced to fit what I'm planning into it (360mm radiator on the top, 180mm radiator in the front). I know there are a few people who have recently gone with a water loop and a few more that have done it in the past, and I'm just looking for people to look over the parts I'm planning on getting before I hit the "buy" button.

The planned loop will be:
    Pump + Res: Alphacool DC-LT Ceramic 12VDC Pump w/reservoir (this is one question I have, the main goal of this loop is silence, and I've read these ceramic pumps are nice and quiet, but I have no clue if it's got enough flow or not)
    CPU block: EK Supreme HF
    GPU block: EK GTX680
    Radiators: 2x XSPC RX240

Again, the goal here is silence, not necessarily extreme cooling capability. As long as it's quiet and is able to maintain the temperatures at an acceptable level for my hardware (2500k @ 4.6GHz, 1.335V + GTX 680 @ +100/+315, stock voltage), I'm happy. My main questions are: is that pump going to be sufficient, and is the slim 360 radiator going to be sufficient over the thicker 360 radiator that will be more work to fit into the case? (according to this picture it doesn't seem like it makes a world of difference. For reference, my fans will be at around 1000rpm, and in push only if the radiator is mounted above the case, pull if it's inside the case)

So, thoughts?
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-04-24 at 11:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That res looks really small from the picture, not sure if this is an issue or anything, just looks funny lol

Doesn't the case in the first place support a dual rad in the bottom, as well as a dual rad in the top? That alone will be more than enough for a GPU and CPU.

It does, but I'm looking to do something a little more crazy. I like to build things, and like to have a project to work on every once in a while (built a speaker cabinet for my guitar amp, built several effect pedals for my guitar rig, built storage cabinets/shelves in my bedroom, etc) and this'll be a good one for me to waste my free time with

The question is more "will those parts work as a water cooling loop" than "will it fit in my case"... because I'll take care of the second question

They'll work yes, although I think the rad choices are a bit silly.
    A thick radiator in the bottom would after all offer more cooling.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-04-24 at 09:11 PM.

Perhaps, but this project is just as much about the case modding as it is about the watetcooling. Also, since I dont want to use a bay mounted reservoir/pump, where would I mount it if theres a rad on the bottom of the case? And I think this way would be slightly easier when it comes time to drain the loop

Where you'd mount it? ...I would've just velcroed it. Like I do with everything else. Stuck it to the top of the powersupply probably.

Related: Velcro is your overly attached lover. If you velcro something to your computer right you'll never get it off without applying ridiculous force I swear to god. Stripped down my rig as I'm toying around with the layout... I spent five minutes playing tug of war with the rads.

Hm, that would work...and im taking measurments of the top of the case and it looks like what I had planned wouldnt work exactly, the radiator would have to be closer to the center of the case, possibly interfering with the mobo's mosfet coolers or the 8 pin cpu power connection. Its kinda hard to figure exactly though without the mobo in the case with a rad to test fit. So I may just go with two 240 rads and add the 180mm intake fan to the front just to say I did something

Edit: that's what I'm gonna do, 2x XSPC RX240s, one in the top and one in the bottom. Only problem is I'd need a shorter PSU (I could stand to get a new one anyways... my HX850 is way overkill for my rig)
    Last edited by Adappy; 2012-04-24 at 11:07 PM.

Check that you've got room for the RX240 in the roof. Anyway, I don't think your PSU will get in the way. TTL has done a few of these before using the AX 850.

If it doesn't fit I have a plan to modify the top of the case to make room (move the mounting holes farther away from the motherboard, I might have to make a bracket for structural rigidity but I can make it work)

Either way, parts have been purchased, XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 kit + RX240 + EK GTX680 waterblock (I decided to be lazy and just buy the Rasa kit, save myself ~$50)

Also, based on my measurements the HX850 itself might fit with a 240mm radiator mounted to the bottom of a CM690II, but the modular cables won't... so I'll be getting a new PSU (could stand to get a new one anyways)

If your going to be running your fans @ 1k RPM I would go with the slim rad, you will see lower temps than having a thicker rad if your not cranking up your fans.

Boils down to FPI (fans per inch) and the static pressure needed to overcome them.

XSPC's radiators (both thicknesses) all have a fairly low FPI (8 or 9 IIRC) so they work with lower rpm fans.