• LoL

59 63.44%
  • DOTA/DOTA2

34 36.56%

Thread: LoL/DOTA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I like Dota1 the most.

Making a poll about LoL v/ DotA in a LoL subforum...it's like making a poll about WoW versus Rift on the WoW forum.

LoL has turned out to be a mainstream game, i started out playing it, until i switched to HoN. In my order it is HoN > Dota2 > LoL. HoN's responsiveness makes the game for me, with the fast paced gameplay, i still like LoL, but i think HoN/Dota2 is on another level.

If I had to chose I would pick DotA. I feel like for some reason there is more depth to DotA then LoL. Perhaps my opinion is jaded though, I played DotA 1 for years before I ever started playing LoL. I think LoL needs more work especially in the competitive scene to compare to DotA.

Deleted
    Eehh, a tad bit early to do such polls when it's not everyone who've tried Dota2 don't ya think?

Anyways, I voted LoL compaing LoL -/- Dota (from WC3) and back then I could only manage playing a few games of Dota before I had to quit, but now I can't get enough of LoL so

No both option? well even thou I like DOTA 2 a lot, LoL got me into the game's genre so my vote to LoL

10+ Year Old Account
    Please set me straight if I am misinformed...

But aren't the creators of LoL... ex blizz employees who created DotA.

Furthermore... I think its odd that DotA 2... is still named Dota 2.

Isn't there a pending lawsuit because Blizzard feels that Defense of the Ancients is their intellectual property. Furthermore they have a "DOTA 2" of their own coming out for Starcraft.

Dota 2 =/= Blizzard Dota (starcraft)... which I think is part of their fear that there is going to be confusion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Please set me straight if I am misinformed...

But aren't the creators of LoL... ex blizz employees who created DotA.

Furthermore... I think its odd that DotA 2... is still named Dota 2.

Isn't there a pending lawsuit because Blizzard feels that Defense of the Ancients is their intellectual property. Furthermore they have a "DOTA 2" of their own coming out for Starcraft.

Dota 2 =/= Blizzard Dota (starcraft)... which I think is part of their fear that there is going to be confusion.
    Dota was created by Eul. continued by guinsoo and then continued by icefrog

not sure what Eul is currently doing but Guinsoo works for Riot and Icefrog is spearheading dota2 at valve

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess maybe my point is... is that being that all the creators are essentially the same, and its the same 'genre' then all these games are just progressions of each other... and not necessarily different enough to be taking a poll.

You're essentially comparing a 1970 camaro to a 2012 camaro. Both are awesome, but if you're a muscle car fanatic you probably own both, and there is a special place in your heart for the 1970... because of all the chicks you banged in it.

Not that playing OG dota meant you got to bang chicks... but...

I think Dota requires more from the player as in more "APM" and such while LoL is more forgiving and the rune system/mastery system kind of makes it hard for a lower level player to get into the game imo.

Also do these forums allow game versus game threads?
    Last edited by fartman69; 2012-04-26 at 09:58 PM.

Deleted
    A game in beta vs. ready and polished game I still give my vote for Dota2 in terms of gameplay and graphical style

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    I guess maybe my point is... is that being that all the creators are essentially the same, and its the same 'genre' then all these games are just progressions of each other... and not necessarily different enough to be taking a poll.

You're essentially comparing a 1970 camaro to a 2012 camaro. Both are awesome, but if you're a muscle car fanatic you probably own both, and there is a special place in your heart for the 1970... because of all the chicks you banged in it.

Not that playing OG dota meant you got to bang chicks... but...
    While they may contain many of the same core mechanics, the games play very differently. CoD & Halo both have a first person perspective w/HuD's, numerous weapons, gun oriented gameplay, and other similar core game mechanics, but they play completely different.

If you play both then you will realize that they are not the same.

Also Blizzard DotA is going to be fundamentally different from all other DotA games. No sense comparing it to anything.
    Last edited by Kurdiern; 2012-04-27 at 12:53 AM.

LoL is gonna win, but I prefer DotA/HoN.

I like both because I'm a hipster.

LoL by far, really.

It's unbelievable that I wasted a good amount of years from my life, trying to kill people with hits while playing Crystal Maiden. Mages should not rely on hitting with basic attacks in a teamfight. And no, we are not here to get others cced so ad carries (like traxex) can pew pew them down. No. Dota was UNBELIEVABLY unbalanced and I have no hopes for Dota 2, since it will most likely follow the same path, being a direct sequel to it. I really really dislike Dota after all these years playing it.

I also can still remember the imbalance and the stupidity of Ring of Health, Hood of Defiance, Heart of Tarassque etc. My god, what horrid days, really. It sucked and still sucks so badly. I will give Dota2 a shot, but I really do not believe that it will be any better besides better graphics. I can still remember lifestealer before nerfs/remake. MY GOD. Talking about imbalance. How could we play that crap? really.

Other than the ability to deny and summoner spells (as well as a few minor things), can someone explain how Dota and LoL are different exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    Other than the ability to deny and summoner spells (as well as a few minor things), can someone explain how Dota and LoL are different exactly?
    Deaths cause you to lose gold and it takes longer for your hero to revive no masterys/runes denying of heroes and towers no buffs on monsters competly changes the game imo.

Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    Deaths cause you to lose gold and it takes longer for your hero to revive no masterys/runes denying of heroes and towers no buffs on monsters competly changes the game imo.
    I'm just curious on how this somehow makes both games so vastly different from what people are trying to make you believe. These things (except runes) seem like minor setting adjustments if anything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woodydave44 View Post
    I'm just curious on how this somehow makes both games so vastly different from what people are trying to make you believe. These things (except runes) seem like minor setting adjustments if anything
    Go read the DotA2 thread. I will say, though, when you play to protect the towers instead of them protecting you, there is a massive shift in gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumata View Post
    LoL is a good bit more fun to me.

DoTA 2 didn't fix the UI enough for me to enjoy it. I know they wanted to stay true to what DOTA was but the item shop kills me.
    The item shop is designed to be faster than LoL's, which it is, so you are saying you like wasting time?

OT: DotA2 is far, far, far superior to LoL and will take over as the premier esport fairly fast.