Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    ¿Cual es la significa del la bandera de México? ¿Cuales son las industrias principales? Entiendo que Mexico City (que fue Tenochtitlan, no?) es un de los mas grande ciudades en el mundo. ¿Hay otras cuidades cerca que este tamaño en Mexico?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Thanks. I remember when I worked in a restaurant in California 6 or 7 years ago, a lot of the Mexicans I worked with called the Salvadoreños "ceros" because they viewed them as worthless. This seemed to be halfway friendly joking and halfway serious, so I when I was asking the question above, that's what I was really getting at. Is there an issue with immigration from El Salvador, or xenophobic tendencies in the culture in any way?
    Not a problem with them as a country or culture. I'm going to address this question with a very personal point of view. My city is a must if you want to illegal inmigrate from central america to the USA. Most of these inmigrants travel on top of the trains and those trains pass across the city. Well, this inmigrants are commonly seen as criminals, in fact, the areas around the rails have a low quality of life, with little to none bussiness. There are a unusual high crime, rape and murder rates next to the tracks and most of those criminals are from central american origin.

That half joking and half serious is a big part of mexican humor. You don't know if we are talking serious, then we laugh at you . We call the black people "negros", and its not used as a racial slur. They even laugh at it and then, they make a joke about your ugly face.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 07:18 PM ----------

¿Cual es la significa del la bandera de México? ¿Cuales son las industrias principales? Entiendo que Mexico City (que fue Tenochtitlan, no?) es un de los mas grande ciudades en el mundo. ¿Hay otras cuidades cerca que este tamaño en Mexico?
    Green= Hope
    White= Unity
    Red= Blood

The origin of our national shield, the eagle eating a snake at the top of a nopal (cactus). Its an ancient mexica (later aztec) legend. When the mexica people left Aztlan, their mythic origin land, they arrived to the Lake of Texcoco, where they saw an Imperial Eagle eating a snake in a small island at the middle of that lake. This was taken as a divine sight from the god Huitzilopochtli. Here, they founded the city of Tenochtitlan as a tribute to this god.

Mexico city is one of the most large METROPOLITAN AREAS in the world. I want to make this clear because the Mexico City is big by itself, but what makes it a lot bigger, are the parts that are in the State of México and are united with the metropolitan area of México City. Another big metropolitan area in México are the one composed by Guadalajara and its sorroundings, in the State of Jalisco.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 07:22 PM ----------

Oh, the main industries are TELMEX (private), PEMEX (state), FEMSA (private), CEMEX (private).
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I went to Puerto Vallarta a few years ago and got some tacos at from a street vendor, and they were exactly as you described. Real Mexican tacos are godlike, just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, hey, hey.

English only.

Quote Originally Posted by LolretKJ View Post
    Nah, I went to Puerto Vallarta a few years ago and got some tacos at from a street vendor, and they were exactly as you described. Real Mexican tacos are godlike, just sayin.
    you could actually get some like this at taco bell for a while last summer, but it was only for about a month.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquilesmagno View Post
    Not a problem with them as a country or culture. I'm going to address this question with a very personal point of view. My city is a must if you want to illegal inmigrate from central america to the USA. Most of these inmigrants travel on top of the trains and those trains pass across the city. Well, this inmigrants are commonly seen as criminals, in fact, the areas around the rails have a low quality of life, with little to none bussiness. There are a unusual high crime, rape and murder rates next to the tracks and most of those criminals are from central american origin.

That half joking and half serious is a big part of mexican humor. You don't know if we are talking serious, then we laugh at you . We call the black people "negros", and its not used as a racial slur. They even laugh at it and then, they make a joke about your ugly face.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 07:18 PM ----------

Green= Hope
    White= Unity
    Red= Blood

The origin of our national shield, the eagle eating a snake at the top of a nopal (cactus). Its an ancient mexica (later aztec) legend. When the mexica people left Aztlan, their mythic origin land, they arrived to the Lake of Texcoco, where they saw an Imperial Eagle eating a snake in a small island at the middle of that lake. This was taken as a divine sight from the god Huitzilopochtli. Here, they founded the city of Tenochtitlan as a tribute to this god.

Mexico city is one of the most large METROPOLITAN AREAS in the world. I want to make this clear because the Mexico City is big by itself, but what makes it a lot bigger, are the parts that are in the State of México and are united with the metropolitan area of México City. Another big metropolitan area in México are the one composed by Guadalajara and its sorroundings, in the State of Jalisco.

---------- Post added 2012-04-25 at 07:22 PM ----------

Oh, the main industries are TELMEX (private), PEMEX (state), FEMSA (private), CEMEX (private).
    Pretty sure we use quite a bit of CEMEX in Houston, and PEMEX is one of my company's clients.

Pretty sure we use quite a bit of CEMEX in Houston, and PEMEX is one of my company's clients.
    Yeah, CEMEX is the third biggest cement bussiness in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it safe to drive from San Diego to Roserito? The way the news in LA makes it look, Tiajuna might as well be Falluja circa 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Is it safe to drive from San Diego to Roserito? The way the news in LA makes it look, Tiajuna might as well be Falluja circa 2004.
    probably not safe, mexico is srsly tied right now for #1 most dangerous country with pakistan.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a lot of family in Colombia, and I've worked a fair bit in South America. Down there, it seems people tend to value having European ethnic background, and appearing more "white." Social standing can correlate pretty heavily there with skin color. Do you have issues like this in Mexico as well? I've noticed most of wealthier Mexicans from Mexico City I've met in the US have been pretty damn caucasian.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a lot of family in Colombia, and I've worked a fair bit in South America. Down there, it seems people tend to value having European ethnic background, and appearing more "white." Social standing can correlate pretty heavily there with skin color. Do you have issues like this in Mexico as well? I've noticed most of wealthier Mexicans from Mexico City I've met in the US have been pretty damn caucasian.
    I think this is more or less the case everywhere in Latin America.

its prevalent even in telenovelas that get broadcast in the US, the wealthy land owners are always fair skinned, while the workers and maids are always darker skinned, its very prevalent in mexico.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

It really depends of your social background. If you are rich, being less caucasian can lead to discrimination; but if you are poor, being less "aztec" can lead to a lot of discrimination too. Since the mayority of people in México are poor, being discriminated for not being caucasian, is the exception, not the rule.

there used to be a caste system depending on how much european (spanish) blood you had, iirc.

question for the OP: what do you guys think of the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Its dangerous, but not as dangerous. The news over react.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the perception in the US of the Mexican Judiciary is that it's hopelessly corrupt. That in order to get anything judicial done, you have to bribe the judges. Once you step across the magic line into the United States, for some reason the judges tend to be far far less corrupt, and even when there is a corrupt judge, there is a strong appeals systems to work around him/her. Why is it that, if the perception is correct, the Mexican judiciary suffers from so much corruption? Does the Mexican state not pay the judges sufficiently?

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    there used to be a caste system depending on how much european (spanish) blood you had, iirc.

question for the OP: what do you guys think of the US?
    Most of people hate the USA. We are poor because they dont let us to produce our own gasoline, we have to buy it from them. Also, we have a war within our homes because the USA loves to get stoned, also, they sell the weapons tha the criminals use to massacre people.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilesmagno View Post
    Most of people hate the USA. We are poor because they dont let us to produce our own gasoline, we have to buy it from them. Also, we have a war within our homes because the USA loves to get stoned, also, they sell the weapons tha the criminals use to massacre people.
    USA is not part of OPEC, so no we don't sell you any gas.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

What's the best place to party in Mexico? I hear Cancun commonly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    USA is not part of OPEC, so no we don't sell you any gas.
    Um what? First of all, OPEC deals in crude oil, not gasoline. Secondly, the US exports a lot of oil. We're one of the world's biggest producers. We import more than we export by a large margin, but there is still oil from the US leaving the country. I don't doubt for a moment that we refine a lot of the incoming oil into gasoline that we then ship to other countries for use.

Not sure why or even how the US wouldn't allow Mexico to refine their own oil (of which they have a lot) into gasoline for their people to use.