Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Well then this is where WoW's demonology lore differs from "traditional demonology lore."
    I think WoW's lore is already pretty different from normal lore...

starting by high tech gnomes and native-american "minotaurs" :P
    I want to have daughters... but if I end up having sons I'll raise them like this X3

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss T View Post
    I for one think Nyarlathotep should be the Outland's powers searching warlock.
    http://wowmb.net/forums/f165/17405-r...c_tk_hyjal_bt/

It was so much fun to raid with a felguard compared to 1-button pet-less dumb-ass spec.
    Thing is, you MIGHT want to google the name Nyarlathotep first, since Blizzard might get sued if they blatantly stole it.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 05:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post

High-tech gnomes is pretty standard, D&D have them... Infact I think they came up with them tbh, some rough 30 years ago.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    And that's the annoying part. It was indeed a legendary staff available to warlocks like all casters, yet practically it was a "mage legendary" due to the lore lying behind it.
    Not really, the lore had to do with magic and the blue flights, not mages per se. Truely lorewise it was Thrall who was at the meeting and the whole aspect picking thing.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Necrolepsy View Post
    Theyre bringing gul'dan back omg
    How on EARTH did you reach that conclussion??

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    High-tech gnomes is pretty standard, D&D have them... Infact I think they came up with them tbh, some rough 30 years ago.
    I don't know about RPGs, but the original, "real life" gnomes were a species of underground dwelling short magical creatures of the element of earth... their concept dates from the 16th century, way before the concept of "high tech" was ever created lol

I want to have daughters... but if I end up having sons I'll raise them like this X3

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    I don't know about RPGs, but the original, "real life" gnomes were a species of underground dwelling short magical creatures of the element of earth... their concept dates from the 16th century, way before the concept of "high tech" was ever created lol

Well obviously! :P But you were talking about "normal lore", and I just wanted to note that the "modern fantasy rpg gnome" is often associated with trinkets, explosives, goggles and all sorts of steam-punk elements.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

all these awesome warlock names have me rethinking my own name...

OT: great great lore for warlocks, hope there is more to come

MoP is proving that warlocks ARE getting a lot of love in it
    Be feared, or be fuel

And mindless greenskins being leaders of a whole faction rather than slaves or brutes. :P

my demons aren't slaves... they are my friends :3

most demons have something they like...

felguards love battles, imps love to do mischievous things, felhunters love eating magic creatures, succubi like... stuff...

just give them what they want and they won't complain about helping you X3

(voidwalkers don' have a whole lot of personality, so they don't really love anything :P)
    Yeah but I'm just saying, if you are after magical power, you can always follow the mage school. They don't have as much power, but they aren't evil incarnate. we kinda are lol

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 01:04 PM ----------

Yeah, that's not how demon names work. In lore, when you learn a demon's name, you gain absolute control over that demon. Demons don't have things like "friends," and they certainly wouldn't trust a warlock enough to tell them their name; hence, you'd never be able to summon one.

What is this, I don't even....
    You are right with the name thing, but that isn't how the names are come about. there are a couple ways that lore states that humans come into the knowledge of demons names.

There is one version that states that demons are actually created by humans, though they live in a different realm, and that first "summoning" sets their name that will be used. I don't like this one as much, since everywhere I see it, the conjurors seem to have forgotten how to create demons, so they really shoudl have run out by now.

There is another version that states they go on like a journey or something, to find out the name of the demon. i don't know if it is spirit transfer into the demon realm or what, probably have different theories, but it is supposed to be dangerous, and you might not come back.

There is also the idea that there are basic summonings that summon a random demon within your calling, and you have to best it in some way, or make a deal, something, to find out what its name is.---This is most like the old succubus quest if I remember correctly(been a long time) where you had to beat it in a battle or something like that.

This is kinda a mix of all of them, basically you describe the demon in great detail(probably learned from the spirit travel) in your summoning(basically a basic summoning). Could also be used this way to create the demon you describe, but it is dangerous because the strength of the restraints on the demon are matched to your capabilities, you can't rely on demonic circles and whatnot near as much since you can't bind it to that creature without their explicit name, so they are very basic wards.

These are just how the names are found in the first place, obviously most are passed on from one warlock to another, either through books or just verbal.

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    false. when you know a demon's name you have power over him, but not absolute power.

"Knowledge of a demon's true name is rumored to give a certain amount of power over that demon. " - Altruis the Sufferer, Demon Hunter

we used that power to kill Razelikh (true name: Rakh'likh). even knowing his name and having a weapon made with his name inscribed upon it, he still managed to fight back admirably. if knowing a demon's name resulted in absolute control I could just tell him "kill yourself" and he'd suicide.

also if you somehow do the old vanilla quests to learn how to summon all demons you'll see that we never learned those demon's true names. we would just lure them to the mortal world somehow, beat the crap out of them (probably to show dominance) and than bind them to us. According to imp's voiceovers, this appears to be made through a magical contract imposed on them.
    It is more along the lines of if you summon a demon, in your controlled environment, with their true name, you have absolute control over them. However that si still a lengthy incantation and whatnot, and one mess up means they kill you.

knowing a demons true name makes it easier to kill them, but you have to be a master summoner AND know their truename to be able to have absolute control over it

---------- Post added 2012-05-03 at 01:08 PM ----------

Well then this is where WoW's demonology lore differs from "traditional demonology lore."
    not really, coincides quite well with traditional lore, you guys forgot one key component, see ^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Histidine View Post
    WoW is great.
    Not sure what game people are playing; I love the way things are.
    What bosses will be in the Deathwing Raid?
    Quote Originally Posted by MauroDiogo View Post
    Leg 1, Leg 2, Hind Legs is a duo boss fight, Wings, Tail, Head and last Heroic mode only boss is his Chin. Totally optional and only for those hardcore enough. It's jaw dropping!

10+ Year Old Account
    I love my warlock even more