Help with building first computer please.

Hey guys,

Pretty much going to use the Marest Sample Build 800.

MoBo: ASRock P67 PRO3 (B3) – $99.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $219.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x4GB – $39.99
    GPU: ASUS DCII 7850 – $259.99
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB – $79.99
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts 500W – $69.99
    Case: NZXT Tempest 210 – $54.99

Do I need to buy extra fans/USB slots/DVD drives? I'd ike 3 USB slots and 1 dvd drive ideally, is that just a matter of preference or are there limits?

I'm ok to go up to about $1000 on this. I'm in Australia. I use a laptop at the moment, I'll just buy a simple monitor and keyboard. The GPU mentioned there is currently out of stock, could anyone recommend a similarly performing GPU? What power supply do you guys think I would need for this?

Thankyou for reading this and answering any questions you can.
    Like there wasn't seventy fucking thousand fish scales I was scanning already. ~ Slanderize

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    you would need a dvd drive to load the OS from.

many good brands can be had for 18-22 USD (dont know the conversion)

sorry, i forgot, I have an external dvd drive already. I still need to buy usb ports though right?
    Like there wasn't seventy fucking thousand fish scales I was scanning already. ~ Slanderize

your external rear usb ports are built into your motherboard, and any external front/top usb ports are built into your case, and connect internally to the motherboard.

your case seems to have two external front usb ports, and your motherboard has two external rear usb ports.
    Last edited by Rawt; 2012-04-26 at 02:57 AM.
    When Injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can see if they have a Z77 pro 3 or pro 4 if you want to spend a bit extra.

Ok, thanks for that. For the monitor I went for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009306. Reliable monitor?

Think I'll stick with the P67, I'm not too anal about super high or ultra settings. I can hardly tell the difference between high and ultra anyway.

Would: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121424 be a suitable alternative to the Asus DCII 7850? How much of a power/graphics difference would that make?