Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Calling all Star Wars extended universe nerds!

Can someone please tell me who the Imperial Agent is based on? I refuse to accept Grand Moff Tarkin.

Give me someone cool to base my class on!

Probably the guy who was one of Luke's first trainees when he re-found(ed?) the Jedi order... Bakis? Brakis?(From I, Jedi, which is probably the best SW book I've read) I'm not entirely sure he has much of a backstory outside of that book.

It could also be Mara Jade I suppose, although both of them have Force Powers.

The ministry of intelligence and its high end 'operatives' are mentioned in the clone wars animated series alot of times. I remember specifically obi or ana saying " the intel comes from our best operatives " and yoda replying ' too often wrong their information have proven... ". ( Sidius manipulating their reports? ).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xeonix View Post
    The ministry of intelligence and its high end 'operatives' are mentioned in the clone wars animated series alot of times. I remember specifically obi or ana saying " the intel comes from our best operatives " and yoda replying ' too often wrong their information have proven... ". ( Sidius manipulating their reports? ).
    sidius ALWAYS manipulated everything.
    remmebre that Han, at first, was enlisted as an imperial agent. but on EU, i don't remmeber any Ia, besides Mara.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Probably the guy who was one of Luke's first trainees when he re-found(ed?) the Jedi order... Bakis? Brakis?(From I, Jedi, which is probably the best SW book I've read) I'm not entirely sure he has much of a backstory outside of that book.

It could also be Mara Jade I suppose, although both of them have Force Powers.
    the guy from I, Jedi is Corran Horn and i that book he was rescuing his wife from kidnappers

Also along with Mara Jade who was more working for the Emperor rather than IA. you have the Issards Ysane and her father Armand Issard who we both HEADS of the IA department Ysane when she was old enough actually had her father framed and killed so she could take control.

NOW as far as the RACE of Chiss themselves they are based upon the character from a series of books by Tymothy Zhan (awsome writer of this character btw) his name was Thrawn and he was the Chiss Grand Admiral that patrolled the Outer Rim sectors of space(Palpatine wanted him as a sot of secret weapon i guess) he came into the picture a few years after Eps IV RotJ.

the Imperial Intelligence agency was always there just not as in full view as the rest of the Imperial Empire
    Last edited by WoWGoneBad; 2012-04-26 at 12:41 PM.

why would it need to be based on something else in the star wars universe?

I dont think the agent is based on any character in star wars lore. i'd say its pretty much james bond in space.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    i'd say its pretty much james bond in space.
    I'm okay with this.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I believe the agents, as a couple people said, are closer to the Troopers in that they're not really based on someone in particular, more just based on known roles in the universe. The Operative of course would be IA related, and the snipers.... well, there are sniper storm troopers, and some of the gear, especially in the sample pics, does look like those troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by WoWGoneBad View Post
    the guy from I, Jedi is Corran Horn and i that book he was rescuing his wife from kidnappers

Also along with Mara Jade who was more working for the Emperor rather than IA. you have the Issards Ysane and her father Armand Issard who we both HEADS of the IA department Ysane when she was old enough actually had her father framed and killed so she could take control.

NOW as far as the RACE of Chiss themselves they are based upon the character from a series of books by Tymothy Zhan (awsome writer of this character btw) his name was Thrawn and he was the Chiss Grand Admiral that patrolled the Outer Rim sectors of space(Palpatine wanted him as a sot of secret weapon i guess) he came into the picture a few years after Eps IV RotJ.

the Imperial Intelligence agency was always there just not as in full view as the rest of the Imperial Empire
    I know who the main story in I, Jedi is about.

I'm talking about the '3' that Luke first brought before the rest of the students arrived. Corran (As Keiran, iirc?), A Semi-Sith turned jedi by luke in a different adventure, and another guy who was in the Imperial Intelligence who had minor-ish force powers who was used to get a 'feel' for Moffs and other imperial functionaries. That third guy is the one I'm talking about, but I can't for the life of me remember his name, and the wookiepedia page will not launch the 'characters' link for me...

Edit -> I found him under the Jedi Academy series, it is 'Brakiss'. And he has much more of a backstory than I realized.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2012-04-27 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    I'm okay with this.
    I bought the Art of The Old Republic book because I love SW fluff and BW wrote that the main inspiration was space James Bond. The title of the section from From Dromund Kaas; With Love.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnuzze View Post
    considering that TG warriors was here since Vanilla, and DK's got into the World of warcraft in WoTLK... you can say that they have been stealing 2-handed from us.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    I dont think the agent is based on any character in star wars lore. i'd say its pretty much james bond in space.
    That was their goal IIRC. In fact they were quite proud of the fact that the agent was a completely new archetype in the star wars universe. He wasn't something that had been seen before in the EU.

The Imperial Agent class isn't based on any one particular character, I don't think, but it seems rather to be mimicking Palpatine's Imperial Security Bureau - which was kinda like the CIA in space. They do the Empire's dirty work and keep the secrets that no one else will. The only thing I can think of right of the top of my head that dealt with the ISB was Timothy Zahn's Allegiance, and that was really only one or two guys who really only served to push certain plot elements along.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Deleted
    Imperial Agents are not based on a specific character from the SW universe and for me, that's why they have one of the best storyline in game. Bioware said that hey had much more freedom to what they wanted to do with the classes that are not force user as their story, their abilities and their whole background is completely unknown and they could do whatever they wanted. That's why Imperial Agents have the best looking ship and (sometimes) gear as they look closer to Mass Effect than SW

Deleted
    They always remind me of the hand of the emperor and various members of that organisation - As someone mentioned, Mara jade. Although the story seems similar, the playstyle obviously doesn't seem too based on any extended character

Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    Here you go, perfect example of the IA

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Morrigan_Corde
    Another:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ysanne_Isard

And her countless unnamed lackeys.

Its not that (Imperial) Agents havn't been seen in Star Wars and the EU, its that there are so many that they generally aren't single recurring (or even named. Ex: "Many Bothan spies died") characters. Only the ones promoted to positions (Moffs, Directors, ect) no longer fitting an "operative or sniper" are commonly recurring.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-04-27 at 10:35 PM.

Would have been neat if they'd done the parallels as Smuggler & Bounty Hunters being the same, and Trooper/Imperial Agent being the same. Then troopers/IA's could have had a heavy armor tank role and the other ac would be medium armor stealth & heal guy. Works fine as is, but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Would have been neat if they'd done the parallels as Smuggler & Bounty Hunters being the same, and Trooper/Imperial Agent being the same. Then troopers/IA's could have had a heavy armor tank role and the other ac would be medium armor stealth & heal guy. Works fine as is, but still.
    It makes more sense to have Troopers and Bounty hunters be mirrored classes in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    It makes more sense to have Troopers and Bounty hunters be mirrored classes in my mind.
    Sure it does, because that's what they ARE. My point was more Heavy Trooper tank, Heavy Imperial Agent tank or a lighter armored healer/tactical type. Smuggler & Bounty Hunter would then be a more diverse range of dps rather than Bounty Hunter being restricted to the Trooper archetype. Then rather than 2 weapon gunslinger vs sniper rifle agent and massive cannon trooper vs dual pistol BH, you'd have dual pistol bh vs dual pistol smuggler and massive cannon trooper versus sniper.

Not a perfect comparison on either end, of course, but I'd have rather seen Bounty Hunters and Smugglers compared to each other in the "we're part of your side, but NOT part of your government" role.