Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Racism at its worst...

So last night, the Washington Capitals beat the Boston Bruins in overtime to win game 7 and advance to the next round.

The person who scored the goal is Joel Ward. For those of you who don't know, Joel is African American. After he scored the final goal, tons of racism and hate began to pour out into the online world (mostly twitter).

Here is an article about this:

http://capitalsoutsider.com/2012/04/...ted-by-racism/ (WARNING: CONTAINS QUOTES THAT ARE VERY VERY VULGAR AND RACIST)

Do you think these people should be charged for hate crimes? This is in no way a representation of hockey fans, and is completely uncalled for. I personally feel each of these people should be arrested one by one.

How do you feel about this?

Deleted
    lol you amerifgts are so weird

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-04-26 at 12:36 PM.

Deleted
    I don't want to go into detail about what I think, but I'd bet that everyone that sent in those tweets/etc wouldn't have the balls to say that in public. Anonymity's a bitch.

As for punishment, threats, yes, racial slurs, no. Especially not with the nature of the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately, seeing as how its a bunch of retards on the internet, there's really no recourse of action against them.

But people like that disgust me. There are two types of people I hate. People who are intolerant of other cultures, and the dutch.*

*Goldmember quote, don't take it seriously
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2012-04-26 at 12:28 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Just like those posts that surfaced after Japan won in Womens Football Cup...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty ridiculous, sorry to say. Some people take sport way too serious, and then take it out on the wrong people in a very very wrong way. Sadly nothing can be done about it either. Internet offers them complete anonymity.

I feel pity for thoose who have to use racial prejudice to vent their anger. Doesnt think jail will affect their opinions at all only boost them. But a big ticket maybe can keep their mouth shut!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by K0rr3 View Post
    lol you amerifgts are so weird
    Cute.

People are idiots, plain and simple.

people are allowed to have strong opinions, you cant punish them for that.
    warp field to weaken its armor, let it close, then tech armor! - Turian hipster

The internet is gradually becoming part of everyday life for most people. I can't see how it can slowly become more integrated into daily living and at the same time maintain its resistance to being governed by societies laws.

In my opinion people who post racist remarks should be called to account. People will of course disagree because at the moment we are in a grey area where the boundaries are blurred. I would argue that in the not so distant future what you say to someone over twitter will be treated just the same as what you say to someone in the street.

Going by another thread, with similar circumstances, the majority of posters will say that the internet shouldn't be censored and no one should be held accountable for what they say on it. Then it will devolve into the typical "Free speech" debate about the constitution giving you the right to say whatever you want .

My personal feelings on it are the tweets should be deleted and action taken to close the accounts by twitter. The guys posting death threats should be looked into by the police as thats pretty serious.
    Last edited by Activi-T; 2012-04-26 at 12:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    I don't want to go into detail about what I think, but I'd bet that everyone that sent in those tweets/etc wouldn't have the balls to say that in public. Anonymity's a bitch.

As for punishment, threats, yes, racial slurs, no. Especially not with the nature of the internet.
    you dare to speak of anonymity with the current state of internet provider logging?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Just like those posts that surfaced after Japan won in Womens Football Cup...
    this, you americans do it as well, so stop crying if u happen to be the target

its pretty pathetic, but why would they be charged with a hate crime, when they haven't committed a crime.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Ahhh Twitter... Bringing the best of people....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    i'm really "flexible" when it comes political correctness, but one should trace those guys down, and get em to court for this. i love 4chan and lots of other weird stuff, but na, that's not cool.

stupid rednecks...

:-/

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield View Post
    The internet is gradually becoming part of everyday life for most people. I can't see how it can slowly become more integrated into daily living and at the same time maintain its resistance to being governed by societies laws.

In my opinion people who post racist remarks should be called to account. People will of course disagree because at the moment we are in a grey area where the boundaries are blurred. I would argue that in the not so distant future what you say to someone over twitter will be treated just the same as what you say to someone in the street.
    The internet is far less anonymous than it was five years ago. You are already getting your wish.

Just slap them around a few times(and hope to hell they don't carry a handgun while doing it) imo, should teach them.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Twitter has become just as bad as 4chan and YouTube comments, yet the media keeps taking it seriously.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

On topic:

While I don't think anyone should be arrested, aside from the guy who made the explicit death threat, this shit is insane.

Boston's always been batshit insane about their sports teams. ALWAYS. I'm not sure why, but they and New York have the worst, most hate filled fans, in all professional sports. Their team loses and they always take it as a threat against themselves.

On hockey:

I'm glad to see some different teams advancing. Here in the Western Conf. there's been a "changing of the guard" so to speak, and the usual teams were all kicked out first round.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    Going by another thread, with similar circumstances, the majority of posters will say that the internet shouldn't be censored and no one should be held accountable for what they say on it. Then it will devolve into the typical "Free speech" debate about the constitution giving you the right to say whatever you want .

My personal feelings on it are the tweets should be deleted and action taken to close the accounts by twitter. The guys posting death threats should be looked into by the police as thats pretty serious.
    I do agree that the people making death threats should be hunted down and punished by the due process of law. And yes, perhaps the non-threatening should have action taken against them too (closing twitter accounts, etc) but the problem is the massive amount of work, the logistics behind it. When thousands of idiots, half of whom might just be trolling, are being idiots on the internet, do the authorities have the resources to punish them? And will it have a lasting effect?
    Putin khuliyo