Multiple copies question

A friend of mine 'accidently' got two copies of the game, one is for the US and one is for the EU. The US copy was a mistake, and he got refunded and bought the EU one, but it seems the US one hasn't been cancelled or whatnot. Anet's support said the copy is fine, but US based. Nowww...in a blog post, it says this:

"When you log in to the game for the first time, you will have the opportunity to pick any available server, or home world. If you choose to select a home world that is in a different region from where you purchased your game, you will be logged out for a short period of time while your account is moved to your new region. Once you have selected a home world, all the characters you create will play on this world and will represent it in our world-versus-world (WvW) format."

That makes it sound like (since the game seems to be split just US and EU'ishly) that it would actually be possible to convert this US copy into an EU one, or at least let me play on EU servers? He (the buyer)says that while login from any region is fine for beta, for the actual live version you'd need to login from the region of purchase. Does that mean I'd have to find someone in the US to login and region change it? I dooo have a friend there, but I'm wondering if it'd cost him money to do the region change, via the gems thing...and if it's even possible!

I'm quite confuzzled, and I didn't see a topic along these lines already here. Anyone able to clarify things?

Edit: "Is my copy of Guild Wars 2 tied to my region?

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country."

So going by that quote, would I literally be unable to use the US version without physically logging in from the US? But if I got my friend in the US to region change...would it then be fine for me to use in the EU? Or did Anet mean by region, as in specific servers, and not by the US/EU thing?

Halp.
    Last edited by Kitharia; 2012-04-26 at 08:15 PM.
    To purr, or not to purr...

Deleted
    Yes you'll be able to "change" your region, BUT! it'll cost you 1,200 gems (don't know the ingame gold needed nor the real cash needed. You can chose yourself).
    This is at least what I've heard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Yes you'll be able to "change" your region, BUT! it'll cost you 1,200 gems (don't know the ingame gold needed nor the real cash needed. You can chose yourself).
    This is at least what I've heard
    That isn't true. That fee is for changing your home server after you've already selected. What Anet said that is if you pick a home server outside of your region it will switch your account to one based in that region, so there should be no problems for you OP as long as your friend chooses an EU server.