Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Want to start getting into shape.

So a little about me.. I've never exercised in my whole life and I'm not overweight, as I have a fairly active metabolism. I weigh 73 kg, my height is around 180 cm (5'9 - 158.73 lbs) so about average I guess. (I'm 19)

I thought about just running, but it seems kind of boring as I'd also like to work on other parts of my body. The catch is, I don't have a gym anywhere near me, and the closest one is 50 km away or so, so I'd like alternatives to the machines.

Atm in my thoughts it's pretty much just running and crunches. I'm not strong enough to do push ups, so I'd like some help on an alternative to get stronger without weights, so I can stand doing them without my arms breaking

Insanity workout

No need for weights

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that you don't have a gym means absolutely nothing.
    Take for example Rocky 5, I think, look at the training he does, no gym anywhere close. Also look at Jackie Chan's drunken master training. If you want something more than just pure strength and condition, watch "Myths and logic of shaolin monks", it's quite a nice documentary.

Anyways, start with running to give your body the message "hell yea, I'm serious!" then start some easy push ups, doesn't matter how many you do, just do them often. And then start working depending on what you want.

Moral of the post: youtube is your friend when it comes to exercises!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    The fact that you don't have a gym means absolutely nothing.
    Take for example Rocky 5, I think, look at the training he does, no gym anywhere close. Also look at Jackie Chan's drunken master training. If you want something more than just pure strength and condition, watch "Myths and logic of shaolin monks", it's quite a nice documentary.

Anyways, start with running to give your body the message "hell yea, I'm serious!" then start some easy push ups, doesn't matter how many you do, just do them often. And then start working depending on what you want.

Moral of the post: youtube is your friend when it comes to exercises!
    I don't think watching movies will get the results he is looking for...

OP. have you got a swimming pool nearby? Swimming is excellent for all levels of workout. Jogging is good for working a sweat and losing a little weight, but that alone won't get you very far.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2012-04-27 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    So a little about me.. I've never exercised in my whole life and I'm not overweight, as I have a fairly active metabolism. I weigh 73 kg, my height is around 180 cm (5'9 - 158.73 lbs) so about average I guess. (I'm 19)

I thought about just running, but it seems kind of boring as I'd also like to work on other parts of my body. The catch is, I don't have a gym anywhere near me, and the closest one is 50 km away or so, so I'd like alternatives to the machines.

Atm in my thoughts it's pretty much just running and crunches. I'm not strong enough to do push ups, so I'd like some help on an alternative to get stronger without weights, so I can stand doing them without my arms breaking

I've been "thinking of working out" for five years now. I'm in the same position as you, 19, not overweight... got lots of gyms around here though but I'm just lazy... my point is, just go out and jog. Don't say you don't have time because you are supposed to be somewhere within 1h etc like I keep doing. Bring with you your phone or ipod for music, and it doesn't have to take longer than 10m, the point is that you've taken the first & hardest step, to start. Then make it a routine.

You aren't strong enough to do push-ups? Not even 1? That doesn't seem right to me at all...

Be that as it may, push-ups are good and you should do them. Start off with your knees on the ground and do them that way, it makes a big difference and you should be able to do a few sets of 10 that way. Then as your strength increases you can mix and match being on your knees and then being on your feet, and then just be on your feet all the time.

Read Convict Conditioning, you can get it online. It's basically a bodyweight routine so you don't need any equipment (just the odd bar to hang from), most importantly it will give you a balanced physique if you follow it properly. You'll also be able to build a workout routine based on your level. For example, if you can't do normal push ups you can do pushups with your knees on the floor.

It's also good for a novice just to get a better understanding of the basics of fitness.

Oh and don't even bother with crunches.

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    Read Convict Conditioning, you can get it online. It's basically a bodyweight routine so you don't need any equipment (just the odd bar to hang from), most importantly it will give you a balanced physique if you follow it properly. You'll also be able to build a workout routine based on your level. For example, if you can't do normal push ups you can do pushups with your knees on the floor.

It's also good for a novice just to get a better understanding of the basics of fitness.

Oh and don't even bother with crunches.

agreed - abs is basically body fat%, diet/not training. (which will vary from person to person) You can work them out till kingdom come but you wont see anything with a lot of fat over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post

I would say start with body weight exercises.

Things like:
    Body weight Squats/lunges
    bench dips (chair/bench)
    chinup/Pullups (pull up bar, monkey bars, jungle gym, maybe a swing set)
    Push ups - you mentioned you don't have the strength, can you do them on your knees?

All the equipment you would need could easily be found in a park with a child's play area

You could also pick up some exercise bands from pretty much any walmart/target/sporting goods store and use them to either assist you, or to add resistance to the moves.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 07:16 PM ----------

Your core is essential to do many exercises with good form so I wouldn't flat out ignore it. Crunches, hanging leg raises, planks, medicine ball side toss against a wall etc...re all good to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Seriously dude

Start here: marksdailyapple.com

and just read, read, read.

new diet, easy exercise, in-shape (and healthy!) in no time. Plus, you'll feel great! My wife and I did it and have been amazed with the results. I even got rid of my allergy meds, of all things, after this.

Deleted
    hasfit.com
    They have a 30 day get into shape program which ONLY requires dumbells.
    Also dont just run, do crunches and pushups... it might give results the first 2 weeks but then your body will get used to it and it will become really really slow.
    If you think running is boring, you are clearly not motivated enough to get into shape.

Running is still boring, no amount of motivation will ever change that! However "too weak to do pushups" jeez man that's pretty much impossible surely?
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Running is still boring, no amount of motivation will ever change that! However "too weak to do pushups" jeez man that's pretty much impossible surely?
    No kidding, I'm 230 and 5'9 and I can do at least 15 without dying lol

Signature done by Eis

Deleted
    I think the most important thing you gotta realise in terms of workouts is that alot of it is a mental thing. I saw you said ur not strong enough to do pushups.

You can do alot of if u can push urself mentally. If you really want it, you can do it.

Deleted
    I think some of you misunderstood my post, I don't think running is boring per se, but I'd also like to train other parts of my body, other than my legs.

I've got the possibility of pull-ups now aswell, and I guess it's just to keep on and see what happens

Deleted
    If your legs dont grow, the rest wont grow. ( muscle wise )
    You HAVE to do legs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    If your legs dont grow, the rest wont grow. ( muscle wise )
    You HAVE to do legs.
    No you don't. Never seen inverted cola bottles at the gym?

Squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, pull ups, dips. Get good at those. SERIOUSLY clean up your diet, get 7+ hours sleep a night and eat a LOT of protein. You might be able to get away with just adding in two protein shakes a day, I don't know your diet. Don't start thinking about all these specific workouts etc. JUST focus on multi joint exercises.

No gym near me is usually the excuse used by people that are afraid of going to a gym so my suggestion would be to go to a gym and get a good work out routine which you can find at bodybuilding.com

You should get hold of Mark Rippetoe's starting strength book. Fantastic. If you have pretty much NEVER gone to the gym to have to accept that you are at a novice level. Don't just go straight for the most advanced exercises because at the moment you need to build a LOT of strength. Set yourself short, medium and long term goals. For me I want to be able to do 10 planche pressups.

Also, don't try and lift heavy weights, work on correct form. If you seriously cannot do a pressup then there is a problem. Even ONE? Stop with the running that is just burning calories. Eat a lot of protein and do exercises that you can pretty much just do no more of 5 reps. If you are serious about this I suggest you buy an olympic bar and do deadlifts, that exercise is amazing! Also you could get a pull up rack thing and attach it to the door. I cannot stress enough that you should work the MAJOR muscles: back, chest, legs. Do things like jump squats or maybe wall squats. Eventually you will need more weights.