Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

LF a mmorpg to play with my gf

Hey, so me and my gf used to play wow together but then got used and bored from it and are now searching for something else to play together, so i turn to these forums for any advice on what game we could play together, possibly free to play mmo.

Here are some things we would like the game to include
    -free
    -not some shit like runescape
    - good pvp
    - fairly new

thanks for the suggestions

10+ Year Old Account
    Free games are free for a reason.

They either
    1) Are ad-supported simple games like facebook games or bejeweled or something
    2) Steaming piles of crap.

Sooo. if its free, take your pick.

Well I've been hammered by ads telling me Aion is free to play these days so you could try that. I've not really heard the best things said about it though.
    "Lordaeron belongs to the Forsaken. Always and forever!"

Perfection is so horribly dull, don't you think?

Deleted
    GW2 is coming out soon, beta testing available in some weekends from today on. Yes, it costs 50 bucks but that's all - No subscription. Check some of it out, see if you like it. looks fun!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're going to need to shell out SOME money for a decent game that will last any sort of time.

If you're in it for the cheap, check out indie games like Minecraft, Torchlight (TC2 coming out soon with multiplayer) or Borderlands.

really i know its a bit out of what you asked for but have you tried doing something >against< each other?

I had a blast playing against some friends, We split into teams of 2 (there was 4 of us) and played Terraria.

Now, I know what your thinking Terraria =/ teams?

We played resource rush. Rules of the server
    PVP had to stay on at all times.
    Large map.

Basically had wars over resources, Land, chests Everything.
    Was awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmilk View Post
    really i know its a bit out of what you asked for but have you tried doing something >against< each other?

I had a blast playing against some friends, We split into teams of 2 (there was 4 of us) and played Terraria.

Now, I know what your thinking Terraria =/ teams?

We played resource rush. Rules of the server
    PVP had to stay on at all times.
    Large map.

Basically had wars over resources, Land, chests Everything.
    Was awesome!
    I was just about to suggest Terraria as well.

Sadly, the games developer has abandoned his project to create a newer and better version of his game concept. Terraria is still quite fun to play. I've managed to log 400+ hours on it, at least 350 of them spend doing nothing but building.

---------- Post added 2012-04-27 at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    There are plenty of great f2p MMOs out there.

The F2P model usually means if you want to see all of the content you have to purchase things, but you can usually get quite high playing just without, although you will miss out on the whole experience.
    -Lord of the Rings online is a great F2P MMO, and is pretty well thought of overall. The PvP side of things isn't so good, but can't have everything.
    - City of Heroes is a great Superhero game thats F2P also, and has some pretty fun PvP, but can be a bit simplistic, but if you just want something fun, give it a go. AMazing customisation also.
    - Age of Conan is pretty good, quite recent, and has OKish PvP, but again some rave about it, some hate it, but its free so

Now, there are also some trial games-
    -Warhammer Age of Reckoning has pretty damn good regular PvP, the trial is from 1-10 only, but the PvP is regular, fun and there are lots of classes to try, with lots of World PvP and BGs for you to play.
    - Rift Free Trial - Pretty much WoW but better GFX, and some say better gameplay, only levels 1-20, but you get to see an awful lot of the game itself.

Give some of those a try, but there are hundreds of Free MMOs out there, but a lot are of dubious quality to say the least
    Don't forget Dungeons and Dragons Online (much better when it was sub based though) You can access a large chunk of the game without making a single purchase, and its a real time combat system. Not turn based. You right and left click to swing your weapons, or use your action bar for your skills. Rogues don't simply turn invisible to stealth.. you have to actually sneak through shadows and the like.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

They either

Yeah like TF2

Wait a minute....

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd recomend: hello kitty island adventures

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Yeah like TF2

Wait a minute....
    I wouldnt exactly call TF2 an "MMORPG". Not only that, but FPS games in general have very poor long term co-op viability. My girl and I love playing games together for long periods of time, and we both enjoy FPS games... But neither of us would want to spend a long period of time playing an FPS unless it was like... borderlands. Maybe the PVP genre is just not too great for that.

DCUO is cool and the PVP is probably the best part in my eyes (and I dislike pvp as a whole in most games).

It fits your criteria and my wife and I enjoyed it when we played it.

10+ Year Old Account
    DC Universe (Free)
    Its free like you want, not that bad of a game at all, full customization is a thing girls like that it offers, world PvP like you've never seen.

World of Tanks. xD

Star Trek Online (if you're into space stuff)

They either

Not even remotely true.

OT: Some suggestions for games that you two might enjoy

Champions Online
    Vindictus (not positive on the PvP)
    Age of Conan

Most of the good F2P games put much more of an emphasis on PvE, but these games all have pretty solid PvP in them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    World of Tanks. xD
    WoT is yet another AWESOME F2P game that goes widely unnoticed. Haven't played in a while (I can honestly only focus my attention span on 2 games ata time tops, and right now im stretched over 3; WoW, Terraria, BF3) Still, WoT provided hours of fun, it has only a slight learning curve.

The concept seems to turn people off at first.. WW2 tanks battling it out in 12 v 12 matches.. But once you get the hang of it, get 5 kills to yourself in a single match and realize you just wiped out almost half the enemy team by yourself.. yeah. It gets addictive. Artillery is really fun to play, because you get a birds eye view of the battle field.

Tanks only show up on the map when they are spotted, so you can actually use camoflage to an extent by hiding in bushes and stuff. For a F2P game thats only been around for a year or so, its very polished.

downsides: queue and play only, with several chat rooms. the garage UI can be slightly overwhelming for new comers.
    -----------------------------
    Vindictus is another superb one, mentioned by EdgecrusherO0. The combat system is very similar to GW2, in the sense that the action bar is minimal. Your big damaging attacks come from mouse clicks and positioning. The game also features an extensive hand to hand grapple system. Boss too big for you? fire a harpoon chain around his legs, and play tug of war to knock him off his feet. 99% of the objects found on the terrain, be they static or rubble from that pillar you just smashes, can be picked up and used to beat your enemies to a very bloody pulp. Its worth giving a try.

Downsides: The game being story line based, uses the quest hub city system. There were few world areas that I experienced, if they could even be called that. (made it to level 30ish, its been a while). Some dungeons have "attunements". Basically gotta do dungeon A 3 or 4 times to get all that you need, to fully unlock the story portion of dungeon B to progress the story line and continue on.
    ------------------------------
    Maple Story is a fun little side scroller. I havent been on in forever and a day, but they have really branched out in the class areas as well as the zones and quests.

Downsides: This is a Korean grind style MMO. You don't just breeze through the levels to the top, albeit certain classes have increased leveling (but with a lower level cap). The player base is massive, and chat channels can go by in a blur, making it difficult to meet and greet with people sometimes, find a guild, etc.
    Last edited by Orodoth; 2012-04-28 at 08:07 AM.
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

I wouldnt exactly call TF2 an "MMORPG". Not only that, but FPS games in general have very poor long term co-op viability. My girl and I love playing games together for long periods of time, and we both enjoy FPS games... But neither of us would want to spend a long period of time playing an FPS unless it was like... borderlands. Maybe the PVP genre is just not too great for that.
    I suspect that was more of a counter argument to the "all F2P games are shit".

Deleted
    It's not fairly new, but try Kingdom Heroes, I played it for about half a year. It was pretty fun, but once you reached max lvl, there was almost nothing to do.
    It is a F2P game set in China during the 3 Dynasties. You get mercenaries that fight for you and the pvp is fun with 2 Wars each week where you and your guild fight for dominance over cities which your guild can capture. when people buy stuff in the city, your guild get some of the cash depending on the tax rate.

there are also some bosses which drop some kind of insignia which lets you transform into that boss for a couple of days and you get special powerful attacks.

good times ^^. anyway try it out.

Deleted
    Would recommend Aion just went f2p.. although the Eu version isn't so much free again than the US.. but you are pretty much able to do everything. All quests, all zones and much more. Their cash shop isn't pay to win since all you can get from there is pets, boosts and so on.. Although the pvp aint that good again.. ranged having a little advantage over melee