Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    At the moment I have 374 hours played. I still find sometimes quests and stuff that haven't seen before or at least don't remember. I remember when I got the game...I just played... really. I woke up, started up comp, ate something, played, went sleep. Well not perhaps exactly, but pretty close. It is a while since I have loved any game so much.

Yeah, there are some bugs, but by now I don't really encounter any bad ones. There used to be dragons that flew backwards and other stuff, but thats gone now.

Only problem I'm facing is that after playing so many different type of characters I can't seem to think of new interesting ways of playing (help me!).

It's worth trying it, i did not enjoy it much tbh. Promises a lot but as you progress it does not deliver much. Quests are boring, characters are bland, voiceover is annoying, dungeons are repetitive, crafting is broken, char progression systems are poor. Exploration is fun tho.

No idea if patches fixed anything, probably it's better now, still it's not my type of RPG really.
    Last edited by mixerii; 2012-04-28 at 12:36 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Only real bug I've had in Skyrim was in Markath, but a patch fixed it.

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mixerii View Post
    It's worth trying it, i did not enjoy it much tbh. Promises a lot but as you progress it does not deliver much. Quests are boring, characters are bland, dungeons are repetitive, crafting is broken, char progression systems are poor. Exploration is fun tho.
    Crafting being broken doesn't really matter in a singleplayer game. Dungeons being repetivive? In what way? The way that they all have an entrance, enemies, treasure and an exit? They are all visually unique - unlike in Oblivion. Char progression is just fine really, bit too dumbed down imo, but fine overall. Whether or not stuff is boring and bland, well that's all as subjective as it could be.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    i recently saw skyrim at a really cheap price and i was wondering if its worth playing if u havent played the other elder scrolls games.
    i'v heard that its the best game ever and all but i'm not sure if i'm gonna get the game if i havent played the early games.

is the game similar to fallout3? or fable? is there any mmorpg that resembles skyrim?
    it is very similar to fallout 3, if you like fallout 3 and you like games in medieval time-settings (i.e. knights with armor and swords and bows and arrows etc) then you will love skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Only real bug I've had in Skyrim was in Markath, but a patch fixed it.

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 12:35 PM ----------

Crafting being broken doesn't really matter in a singleplayer game. Dungeons being repetivive? In what way? The way that they all have an entrance, enemies, treasure and an exit? They are all visually unique - unlike in Oblivion. Char progression is just fine really, bit too dumbed down imo, but fine overall. Whether or not stuff is boring and bland, well that's all as subjective as it could be.
    I know it's my subjective opinion, game was obviously a success, no matter what i think of it.

Dungeons being repetitive means there's a cave, dwemer run, northern ruin, everything is from point A to B, amount of interesting items is very low, same goes for enemies inside those dungeons. They lack small details that give hints of backstory to the place, it just seems more like levels in action game.

Deleted
    I felt the game to be lacking... good, but lacking.

Why? It's pretty solid, the story is interesting but i didn't feel very immersed like other games I've played, particuarly BioWare games if we're to maybe compare the immersion to something like Dragon Age. The combat is simple and executed well and the leveling system gives you a whole variety of ways to play your game.

So they're the good points, bad points? Sure it looks fantastic and props to Bethesda for the work on this engine but there are still game-breaking bugs like other games such as Fallout 3/NV and Oblivion. Fortunatly these are rare and more often than not the bugs you'll find will just be a bugged mob or something, nothing serious.

Whilst there is plenty to do, I found myself just straight up not interested in some of the stories. Like i said I didn't care about any of the characters in Skyrim so they all felt like questgivers from WoW rather than a unique chracter I get to interact with on a personal level which is 100% needed for an RPG to really immerse you. The main story which will take around 10 to 15 hours at a "standard" pace doesn't climax well, I wont spoil the ending (Not that it's very hard to guess from about an hour in, no massive twists or anything) but after the conclusion I didn't feel like I'd beat the game, I just felt like I'd finished another pointless sub-story.

Overall I'd reccomend the game but I can't justify saying it's the best Action RPG of the past year or even ever like some people are claiming. It's a good game, worth the money and has, i'd say, around 40 hours of enjoyment in it but of course if you get it on PC then there are mods which can add stories and even improve mthe current game such as UI changes.

So, go for PC, it isn't very taxing on your system, I was surprised. My PC is about 4/5 years old and on 1280x720 I could run Medium/High fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Put it like this: I loved it, and let my fiance (who never plays video games and lightly bashes me for doing so) try it. She's hooked.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

I didn't like any of the other TES games, but I quite like Skyrim. Worth the price of admission IMO.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I know it's my subjective opinion, game was obviously a success, no matter what i think of it.

Dungeons being repetitive means there's a cave, dwemer run, northern ruin, everything is from point A to B, amount of interesting items is very low, same goes for enemies inside those dungeons. They lack small details that give hints of backstory to the place, it just seems more like levels in action game.
    The lack of details is what the many, many MANY books found in the game are for. Also most of them are pretty much either just, like you said, caves and such. How much backstory can a cave has? I mean, if every single hollow-mountain had a story it would be way over the top. And most of the dwemer ruins usually have either a few books saying what it used to be (9 out of 10 times it was a dwemer city) or a quest in there saying what it was, either in the form of bandits, a dead adventurer or insane people.
    Last edited by Venziir; 2012-04-28 at 12:57 PM.

And you gotta mod the game, if you buy it for PC. This website offers everything you need for improving your experience of Skyrim. You might need to get a bit into the game first in order to be able to evaluate the mods on the matter if you think they improve your game or not. I am running with tons of mods which aim for a harder difficulty in mid/late game or graphical and AI improvements. And you can easily modify the game yourself by using the construction set.

Vanilla Skyrim is awesome, but a modded Skyrim is a dream. Believe me . You can add or alter (thus improve) so much via mods without destroying anything the vanilla game had to offer. All the mods are usually very well described and the nexus mod manager makes modding incredibly easy.

Just my 2 cents.

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 01:03 PM ----------

It's worth trying it, i did not enjoy it much tbh. Promises a lot but as you progress it does not deliver much. Quests are boring, characters are bland, voiceover is annoying, dungeons are repetitive, crafting is broken, char progression systems are poor. Exploration is fun tho.

No idea if patches fixed anything, probably it's better now, still it's not my type of RPG really.
    And again.. Playing Skyrim without mods is ones own fault. The game offers the possibility to almost alter everything you want. If you are to put some effort in it, you can improve the game in every aspect.

Unless you bought it for console. This game is not meant to be for console. Greed made it come out for console and nothing else.
    Last edited by JayJay09; 2012-04-28 at 01:04 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JayJay09 View Post
    And you gotta mod the game, if you buy it for PC. This website offers everything you need for improving your experience of Skyrim. You might need to get a bit into the game first in order to be able to evaluate the mods on the matter if you think they improve your game or not. I am running with tons of mods which aim for a harder difficulty in mid/late game or graphical and AI improvements. And you can easily modify the game yourself by using the construction set.

Vanilla Skyrim is awesome, but a modded Skyrim is a dream. Believe me . You can add or alter (thus improve) so much via mods without destroying anything the vanilla game had to offer. All the mods are usually very well described and the nexus mod manager makes modding incredibly easy.

Just my 2 cents.

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 01:03 PM ----------

And again.. Playing Skyrim without mods is ones own fault. The game offers the possibility to almost alter everything you want. If you are to put some effort in it, you can improve the game in every aspect.

Unless you bought it for console. This game is not meant to be for console. Greed made it come out for console and nothing else.
    Why exactly do you have to mod it if you play it on the pc? I played it for 150+ hours and only encountered a single bug, and had a blast. If I recall you couldn't even mod it for the first few months. Oh and actually, it was made for consonle ports, which is why the UI and such is utterly terrible if you play using a mouse + keyboard.

The lack of details is what the many, many MANY books found in the game are for. Also most of them are pretty much either just, like you said, caves and such. How much backstory can a cave has? I mean, if every single hollow-mountain had a story it would be way over the top. And most of the dwemer ruins usually have either a few books saying what it used to be (9 out of 10 times it was a dwemer city) or a quest in there saying what it was, either in the form of bandits, a dead adventurer or insane people.
    I could not get sucked into that world no matter how much i wanted to. Did not like a single character, found 90% of quests unimaginative, hated lack of choices (got high in mage's guild as rogue that never used a spell), lack of creative ways to solve situations outside fighting. It just feels like an action game with magic and swords to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    oh ok, i was worried about it being the part 5 of the series i wouldnt be able to get too much into the game.
    thank you guys for all your advice, ill be getting it this weekend!
    Oh there's no need to worry about that. It may be #5, but it's very stand alone. You won't feel very lost without knowing what happened in 1-4. After all, it takes place 200 years after Oblivion.
    Putin khuliyo

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    I could not get sucked into that world no matter how much i wanted to. Did not like a single character, found 90% of quests unimaginative, hated lack of choices (got high in mage's guild as rogue that never used a spell), lack of creative ways to solve situations outside fighting. It just feels like an action game with magic and swords to me.
    Ooh that I can agree on, the mage college quest.... Good lord! That was indeed terrible. But the idea of getting into the college without being a spellcaster is part of the Elder Scrolls - You can do anything you damn well want to. You can be a companion (fighter guild) and yet never ever having to use a melee weapon. You can complete the thieves guild and dark brotherhood without sneaking, stealing and such. So I'm not sure how you can call a game which allows you to do whatever you want, and build whatever kind of character as "choiceless". I mean, the whole game is non-linear, it isn't like say Dragon Age or any other generic linear RPG where you have to pick a class etc.

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Oh there's no need to worry about that. It may be #5, but it's very stand alone. You won't feel very lost without knowing what happened in 1-4. After all, it takes place 200 years after Oblivion.
    Yeah, and not a lot really happened in those 200 years. And the stuff that did happened is explained in-game, so no biggy.

Why exactly do you have to mod it if you play it on the pc? I played it for 150+ hours and only encountered a single bug, and had a blast. If I recall you couldn't even mod it for the first few months. Oh and actually, it was made for consonle ports, which is why the UI and such is utterly terrible if you play using a mouse + keyboard.
    Well, you don't have to mod it. But modding it offers ways that simply improve this game by so much. And I know that the controls and so are meant for console. Only because you can't convert keyboard and mouse controls to the console that easily, but vice versa. This way was easier for the devs. And it came out for console to increase profit overall. The mod friendliness of the game and the impossibility of modding it on a console speaks for itself, imo.

If you haven't tried mods, then you can't have an opinion on this matter whether mods improve the game or not.

And you could mod it in the first few months. You had to use Fallout and Oblivion programs. It was difficult, but worked. With the release of the construction set, the support needed for modding was complete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played Morrowind for like an hour and got bored. Never played Oblivion. Picked up Skyrim and I haven't been able to stop playing. You can do almost anything in that game! Also time loses all meaning when you're playing LOL. I sat down the other day to play a "little bit" and 16 hours later I was like, wtf?? It's time for bed! So, in conclusion, YES... BUY IT!!! You won't regret it!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JayJay09 View Post
    Well, you don't have to mod it. But modding it offers ways that simply improve this game by so much. And I know that the controls and so are meant for console. Only because you can't convert keyboard and mouse controls to the console that easily, but vice versa. This way was easier for the devs. And it came out for console to increase profit overall. The mod friendliness of the game and the impossibility of modding it on a console speaks for itself, imo.

If you haven't tried mods, then you can't have an opinion on this matter whether mods improve the game or not.

And you could mod it in the first few months. You had to use Fallout and Oblivion programs. It was difficult, but worked. With the release of the construction set, the support needed for modding was complete.
    I do use mods now, just saying that claiming you have to use them to have fun is nonsense.

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 01:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ironik View Post
    Played Morrowind for like an hour and got bored. Never played Oblivion. Picked up Skyrim and I haven't been able to stop playing. You can do almost anything in that game! Also time loses all meaning when you're playing LOL. I sat down the other day to play a "little bit" and 16 hours later I was like, wtf?? It's time for bed! So, in conclusion, YES... BUY IT!!! You won't regret it!
    Yeah Morrowind had a silly thing going: "Let's make a huge world, and map that doesn't really work teheehee" -_-'[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2012-04-28 at 01:42 PM ----------

10+ Year Old Account
    My recommendation is to play Morrowind first. The graphics are way out of date but its gameplay and vastness more than make up for it.

Deleted
    Some quest are really not fun at all, I have to say that.

I do use mods now, just saying that claiming you have to use them to have fun is nonsense.

I didn't say you don't have fun in vanilla... I said that mods improve the skyrim experience by a whole lot.

Edit: And thus I recommended using mods.
    Last edited by JayJay09; 2012-04-28 at 03:51 PM.