Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    You get more buttons to press than you would with a normal keyboard though. Especially with your thumb.
    I disagree.
    My thumb presses the yuiopåghjklöä-.,mnbvc-range comfortably. I'm not just leaving it a the spacebar. This is obviously assuming ESDF and that I play it slightly at an angle.
    The only buttons I don't reach comfortably, although I may reach them, are 7890+´¨'backspace and enter, f6-12.
    I also make use of the macro buttons to the left of the standard layout, whom also have three different setups.

With ctrl and shift modifiers to these buttons, and alt to the ones furthest away to the right, I wouldn't be having enough with a gamepad.
    I'm happy others enjoy theirs though.

I'm personally more of a bare bones player. I can't stand keybinding when it gets stupidly complicated. Take wow for example, I don't keybind much as a tank, or as a dps, its only when I am healing that I start to keybind more than say 5-6 things.

Seriously considering getting a Logitek G13, as it would more than suit my needs for keybinds in guild wars 2.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use a wolfking warrior. I am lost without it. So much better than a standard keyboard.
    "Canada is a country where fake girlfriends live"
    I may not go down in history, but I'll go down on your sister.

10+ Year Old Account
    Belkin N52TE here.

But I mostly have it as a simple setup. However I have to say it's a huge difference from playing on a laptop keyboard.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I'm extremely reluctant to accept your perspective though. I had a hard time wording this post, since I didn't want to come off as harsh, but no matter how I try to word it, it just comes off as harsh. Please note that this isn't my intent.

Frostmane EU is a "swedish" realm, the dutch are in extreme minority. The few I've encountered were friendly (I played on Frostmane EU, horde side, but had chars on alliance side as well), and seemed to love having fun. But they didn't strike me as "knowledgeable" players. Yeah, I know, generalization at its finest.

Now for the harsh part. 7/8HM today is either very low end semi-hardcore, or maybe respectable very casual. Yours is stated as semi-hardcore, while having about twice as many raids per week compared to what we did. My guild, Whipe@Frostmane EU, was a guild torn between a semi-hardcore and casual status. T13 was without a doubt the worst tier we did in Cataclysm (we managed to steal a Realm First against Memento Mori in t11, they were ~40WR at the time, and we managed some pretty decent WR kills in t12), and we still cleared t13 three months ago.

Our raid leader helped another horde guild progress a month ago on Blackhorn, a guild that are higher ranked than yours, and he streamed it for me. There's no way anyone can convince me that those were good players. They reminded me a lot of a guild I played in during TBC, that was stuck in SSC for over half a year for apparently no reason. Sort of casual in the head, but spent more time playing than a true casual, if you understand. The guild our RL helped were definitely friendly, but on a scale with "clueless" on the left and "definitely know what they're doing" on the right, I'd place them all somewhere on the left half without a second thought.

Maybe you're the guy carrying your guild. I wouldn't know. But from what I gather, if a mouse+keyboard is hampering your performance at your level, I've got to say, there's definitely something wrong. When you say that you care about your own performance, maybe you're right (I wouldn't know). But I truly can't see how the statement means the same to you as it does to me, since I claim to care about my own performance as well.

With all that said, I really appreciate that you took the time to give me an in-depth reply.
    No offence taken by the way

Of course, I can't convince you into buying one and using it, I'm only offering you my point of view towards the G13. We all start somewhere in WoW right? I started clicking my spells and tried healing with that, yeah, that didn't work out. So I had to find something that would be easy to adapt to as I don't really have too flexible fingers to do alt+# combinations with and such.

I came across the G13 in a local store and at first sight it looked awesome as hell. The thing is with the G13, you have your entire hand to map keys to and the freedom to map the joystick to WASD. This way I have the top row mapped to offensive spells and some cooldows, and the entire second row mapped to my healing spells. I might be a better player if I took the learning curve back to keyboard, but after playing with the G13 for so long, it has become second nature in WoW (I only use it in WoW, it just feels useless to me in any other game) and it's just too hard for me to step down (or up?) to keyboard again.

I know 7/8 isn't mind-blowing progress, but we get the job done. We've had some weeks where we just didn't raid at all because of low attendancy and as you pointed out, me and maybe a couple of others kind of carry the rest of the raid, but I'm fine with that. I've been in a true hardcore guild in the past, together with these guys helping the carry, and back there I used the G13 aswell. I guess it's just about what you prefer to use. There's not a thing I can't do with the G13 that one would be able to on a keyboard or the other way around, it's about the player using it.
    At best, it's very comfortable to use when placed next to your keyboard for the obvious reason your arm isn't bent the way it normally is to reach the keyboard in front of you.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I considered at one point but now that I have a mechanical keyboard and can't find a mechanical gamepad, I really see no point.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I appreciate all the feedback here. I am going to see if there are any stores in the area that carry some of these so I can see them in person.

I once tried it, but I could not get over the incredible inconvenience of moving my hand back over to my keyboard to type anything. Where will the keyboard go? Where will the keypad go? Move the keyboard out of the way? Move the keypad way to the left?

I couldn't do it - that is just me

Suppose that would be my next question. Once you decide to roll with a game pad, where should the keyboard go?

I use a G15 keyboard with G13 gamepad and while the G13 is good, I still mainly use my G15 as the primary way of moving around/actions.I just felt that the G13 was somewhat strange in terms of the layout. It's great for those out of the way actions, like health/mana potions, 3-5+ minute cooldowns, party/raid macros, etc. The primary keys that I use in every single battle I felt was better suited for my keyboard, plus, since I still like to chat, it's where I felt my hand should be the most. Keypads, I feel, should not be used to replace keyboards, simply to expand them.

I used the belkin nostromo n52 playing wow for years. I quit playing wow a couple years ago. I got a new Mac and one day I decided what the hell I'll load up wow on my new mac and play some more. Well turned out that my old nostromo wouldn't work on my new mac and I couldn't find drivers.. well there is no way I will ever play wow without a nostromo pad so that was the end of that idea.

However.... I just bought my 1st gaming computer and 1st PC ever (still being built), just so I can play wow again, this time with everything turned up to 11!

I know I rambled a bit there but my point is you will become a much better player using a nostromo pad with well thought out key binds, and you will do it more comfortably than on a keyboard. I will never play without one. That + a multi button mouse and you'll only reach for your keyboard to type.

I used a logitech PS3 style game pad for a while when trying to help out my wife with carpel tunnel. It took a while to figure out how to make it work well for me (I used an add-on that displayed my keybinds in circular layouts like my gamepad had, that helped TONS), but I got all of my 24 keybinds plus a couple more on there. It was much more comfortable and played quite well with one exception. I loved it for PVE. Even for raiding it worked well. The only problem was PvP. I just couldn't get the speed and control required for that, so I'm back to the keyboard for me. I still occasionally pull out the game pad for PVE stuff, especially if I've already been at my computer a long time.
    Last edited by DSRilk; 2012-05-03 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    I'm personally more of a bare bones player. I can't stand keybinding when it gets stupidly complicated. Take wow for example, I don't keybind much as a tank, or as a dps, its only when I am healing that I start to keybind more than say 5-6 things.

Seriously considering getting a Logitek G13, as it would more than suit my needs for keybinds in guild wars 2.
    I think key binds become more important in pvp and arena. particularly if you want to be able to cast on a focus target ets without deselecting your current target. Being able to instantly devour magic (or w/e ability you choose) from yourself, from your enemy or your focus target without having to mouse over or tab though targets puts you at an advantage over people who can't/don't. over the course of an arena match you could be spending 30 or more seconds fumbling for spells, mousing over stuff....

On topic- Merc Stealth with built in game bad- LOVE IT especially with the software that comes with it, makes me able to use 7890-= again with out a stretching to far and its none mechanical so late night gaming doesn't bother the person I'm with or heard to much.

off topic- Key bindings are essential in pvp and PVE. Using Key binds I have been able to take a 30+ button system down to about 10 using ctrl/shift/alt modifiers for my most used items and just shift/ctrl for a few things

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I disagree.
    My thumb presses the yuiopåghjklöä-.,mnbvc-range comfortably. I'm not just leaving it a the spacebar. This is obviously assuming ESDF and that I play it slightly at an angle.
    The only buttons I don't reach comfortably, although I may reach them, are 7890+´¨'backspace and enter, f6-12.
    I also make use of the macro buttons to the left of the standard layout, whom also have three different setups.

With ctrl and shift modifiers to these buttons, and alt to the ones furthest away to the right, I wouldn't be having enough with a gamepad.
    I'm happy others enjoy theirs though.
    I'm sorry but there is no way you can reach Å comfortably, that's a 6 inch reach with your thumb alone. If you have that kind of thumb reach then you are sitting on 15 inch hand span which would put you in the record books. The only way you could reach that far with your thumb is if you stretch your hand to reach the button - which is not comfortable or 'easy' movement.

Game pads like the G13 aren't about having lots of buttons total, its about having as many buttons as possible as close as possible to minimise hand movement and maximise usability. It has 28 buttons not including modifiers and the left side of your WASD is easier to use due to the shape and positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    I'm sorry but there is no way you can reach Å comfortably, that's a 6 inch reach with your thumb alone. If you have that kind of thumb reach then you are sitting on 15 inch hand span which would put you in the record books. The only way you could reach that far with your thumb is if you stretch your hand to reach the button - which is not comfortable or 'easy' movement.

Game pads like the G13 aren't about having lots of buttons total, its about having as many buttons as possible as close as possible to minimise hand movement and maximise usability. It has 28 buttons not including modifiers and the left side of your WASD is easier to use due to the shape and positioning.
    1) I don't run WASD, so I have enough buttons on the left side anyway.
    2) I run the keyboard tilted.
    3) My thumb is on the å-button while resting, I certainly don't stretch it.

Don't make assumptions on how other people play and say there is 'no way' :P
    Game pads have too few buttons regardless, and it's not comfortable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    If anyone made a mechanical one, I'd probably give it a try. Hard to get used to non-mechanical keys once you're used to not bottoming out keys while typing/gaming.
    This is my problem as well. I currently use a Ducky DK9008S. I actually have a G13 as well on my desk but after using the Ducky I just can't use the G13. It's pushed to the back of my desk and does nothing. The keys are almost painful to use for lack of a better word.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiveron View Post
    This is my problem as well. I currently use a Ducky DK9008S. I actually have a G13 as well on my desk but after using the Ducky I just can't use the G13. It's pushed to the back of my desk and does nothing. The keys are almost painful to use for lack of a better word.
    Somewhat amusingly G13 is the reason why I haven't bought a mechanical keyboard yet. Since most of my gaming is done on the G13 there's not much point on getting new expensive keyboard on the side. Also would love to see G13 as mechanical.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Have any of you guys used both the Nostromo and the G13?

As I mentioned already, I have always used the Nostromo, it's very comfortable and easy to hit all the buttons. I have a pretty small hand... are any of you having a hard time hitting all the buttons on the g13? That top row of buttons looks like a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwnyboy View Post
    Have any of you guys used both the Nostromo and the G13?

As I mentioned already, I have always used the Nostromo, it's very comfortable and easy to hit all the buttons. I have a pretty small hand... are any of you having a hard time hitting all the buttons on the g13? That top row of buttons looks like a stretch.
    Hitting one or both of the top corner buttons might require moving your hand, depending on where you've bound movement keys on it. On the plus side you gain a lot of buttons for thumb that you don't have with Nostromo.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.