Deleted

The "End Game" Debate

Hi everyone

** Just pre-words about my experience so far **

I am currently in the beta on my level 10 guardian. I was kinda "wtf is going on..." all over this game from 1-8 but after that I just kinda landed and it's getting better and better. Amazing world, mind blowing cities, great graphics and animations, awesome combat system with fun abilities (can only speak for the guardian ones), etc. PvP battlegrounds was kind of a let down since you get premade gear for some reason? I mean, I was using my mace outside and then suddenly I was standing there in a ugly helmet and a fucking staff. What's the deal? Couldn't even swap to my mace in the battleground, it was just gone inside. So random it hurts.

** End of pre-words **

Anyway, people keep saying "end game starts at level 1" all the time. I don't understand how that makes sense. End game for me is when you get to the max level, so if this "End Game" starts at level 1, and the main point of the game is to level your character before you reach max level, then what the hell do you do at max level? I mean, the game is fun and all, but I have been killing centaurs the past 10 levels and I don't expect to keep doing that when I reach level 80.

So now, instead of asking "what do you do when you reach end game?", I'm going to ask this: What do you do when you get to max level?

If you choose to Play Now it gives a default set(or possibly last set chosen) of stats/traits/weapons/etc. You can pick up armor/weapons/etc at 0 cost if you enter the Mists first.

End Game in an MMO like WoW or TOR is that the game changes and is focused for the max level player with leveling being a means to an end(though some do enjoy rerolling alts just to level). GW2 there isn't really anything game changing when you hit 80, leveling is more of a guide/progress bar and paces the content so you aren't flooded with everything at once.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's no actual instanced raids in the game. The bosses you will fight are world bosses that are more or less open to everybody above a certain level (or willing to die a lot).

The game focuses more on exploration, so you can get all of your skill points, max out crafting and collecting stuff like new pets (if you're a ranger) and fancy gear.

But yes, end-game PvE like we're used to in other MMOs won't really be happening here, which makes me sad. But it'll keep you occupied for quite some time, depending on how fast they can churn out new content.

The term came about because the game doesn't radically change what you do between level 1 and level 80. You will still do the same activities (dungeons, exploring, PvP, dynamic events ect.) no matter what level you are. Other games pretty drastically change the way you play when you hit max level, turning the time you spent questing and exploring into chain running dungeons/raids for gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    There's no actual instanced raids in the game. The bosses you will fight are world bosses that are more or less open to everybody above a certain level (or willing to die a lot).

The game focuses more on exploration, so you can get all of your skill points, max out crafting and collecting stuff like new pets (if you're a ranger) and fancy gear.

But yes, end-game PvE like we're used to in other MMOs won't really be happening here, which makes me sad. But it'll keep you occupied for quite some time, depending on how fast they can churn out new content.
    There may be no instanced raids but me and a guardian fought a giant corrupted oakheart that was harder then any boss in WoW -_-' so many adds... so much damage... *curls into a ball and twitches*
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Explorable mode dungeons is the real end game stuff and pvp. They claim this will be really difficult. It remains to be seen if it will be wow heroic raid difficulty. Or something that you'll beat in a week or less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madloaf View Post
    End game for me is when you get to the max level, so if this "End Game" starts at level 1
    Can't agree with that. I feel that endgame has nothing to do with level even in WoW (because even after maxing level, you still spend time progressing your character's gear).

The idea of "endgame" is based on the idea that when you complete one form of character progression, you're given an alternate form of character progression that never ends. This doesn't happen in GW2. When you hit max level, you progress your character the same way you did from the beginning, except that you're not gaining power anymore, so much as min/maxing your stats and build and mastering your profession, and then simply enjoying it from there.

Consider this: people in LoL constantly play the same champions over, and over, and over, for weeks, months, even years on end. When I first touched Cho'gath I fell in love with him, and I still play him more than any other champion, because I'm so familiar with the champion that I just can't match up in performance on any other champion.

Yet... there isn't an endgame there! People just keep repeating the same gameplay over and over again because each game is different due to the way the different champions and playstyles interact. That's what looks to be happening in GW2, in both PvE and PvP.

So, if you want a direct answer to your question: when I hit max level I'm going to keep doing dynamic events and heart tasks, same as I am now. If i complete all my heart tasks, by then I'll either have a good idea of where the REALLY good events are, or it'll say where in the wiki - I'll probably end up just wandering aimlessly and/or exploring, hunting for some fun events to do. I also plan to do much more PvP at max level than I do now, because by then I hope to have mastered my profession and be familiar with what builds work for me (Some people like jumping into the pvp right away... I like preparing myself). I also plan to do lots of explorable mode content to build up sets cosmetically, while also collecting different pieces of gear with different stats on them, for the sake of min/maxing one or two different builds just right. (yay transmutations tones!)
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-04-28 at 08:11 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again.... If you want to understand/enjoy GW2 you need to completely remove everything wow taught you about what an MMO is out of your head. Before WoW MMOs werent about getting to max level and then starting to enjoy the game. Games like EQ, AC, M59, AO and traditional MUDs were about the adventure and a persistent dynamic world, and most of all playing with others. WoW did some great things for the Genre, but IMO it completely fucked the community and sense of adventure part of it as it got into its expacs.

GW2 is a game that requires you to go back to the old mindset (with massive upgrades and revolutions to pvp, game mechanics, combat etc to those past games).
    The game starts at level 1, not level 80 means just that. This game isnt about "rush to max level and then you can start having fun".. and until you let that bull shit cock tease of an idea go... you wont enjoy GW2.

Instead of raids @ max level, U will get epic world bosses and world events. This movie is almost 2 years old btw...

This may give U an idea, an epic boss badass dragon.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2012-04-28 at 08:23 PM.