Best gem/enchants for me right now? (Prot Pally)

Hi, I've just been lurking the forums for a while, and I decided to finally join the forums.

Someone told me to go on this one Dr. website to optimize my gear (I can't remember it for the life of me), but now that I've been looking around the forums, people are bashing it.

So my question is, can someone teach me how to do it myself? How to get/maintain CTC cap while getting as much stamina as I can afford.

Here's my armory. Thanks in advance

EDIT: Since I'm so new, it won't let me link my armory. So I'm Irodak on the realm Illidan.
    Last edited by kreeva; 2012-04-29 at 02:33 AM.

Well I kinda go with a trial and error with reforging and if I see that I can switch gems for stam I go for it. I use the ctc macro, see where I'm standing, do some changes to reforges and check again. I get kings and food buff (I think theres no other buffs that might increase your avoidance) and in my case, and yours too actually, I have Resolve of undying so I hit the dummy to get the stacks and check.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    Well I kinda go with a trial and error with reforging and if I see that I can switch gems for stam I go for it. I use the ctc macro, see where I'm standing, do some changes to reforges and check again. I get kings and food buff (I think theres no other buffs that might increase your avoidance) and in my case, and yours too actually, I have Resolve of undying so I hit the dummy to get the stacks and check.
    Battle shout increases parry(str).

Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    See, I want the math for it. Sure, you might get something better than you had before, CTC wise, but I want it to be optimized.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rodak/advanced

This be you. There is a thread about prot paladins which Morphex started and I've been answering questions on, so take a look at that.

Your weapon enchant is horrible, it's equivalent ot about 50 hps. Your bracer enchant should be +50 dodge.

The buffs increasing your avoidance are obviously food/elixirs, Kings, and Battle Shout. Those are the only ones you can take into account for CTC apart from the Spine trinket.

You can't have the maths for it, because you get diminishing returns on dodge and parry, causing you to have to deal with logarithmic curves, so to work out how much of a benefit a certain amount of stats would give you relative to stamina (which is obviously going to be a linear bonus) you would have to do calculus, and it's not worth doign calculus for every tiny amount of stats.

Check the prot paladin thread for the general gemming advice, do it until you hit CTC and then begin gemming stamina and reforging into mastery as you cannot reforge into stamina. That's pretty much all it comes down to. You get more stamina from using 1 stam 1 avoidance trinket rather than 2 avoidance and extra stamina gemming. Eventually in BiS gear you'll be able to use 2 stam trinkets and gem pretty much full stamina with good reforging.

AskMrRobot is the website you're talking about. Don't use it. It really is going to come down to learning roughly how much 20 mastery increases you avoidance, I think it's about 0.45% but I've not been playing in almost 2 months so I've forgotten. Dodge and Parry are very hard to map due to the before mentioned logarithmic curves, and unless you want to differentiate logarithms all the time then I really do not advise looking up the equations (assuming someone has worked them out).

Hope this helps but your enchants look generally fine, gem to hit CTC whilst keeping parry about 200 rating below dodge due to Battle Shout, so you get hurt less by dimnishing returns (we aren't warriors so we don't get a benefit on parry over dodge) and then just slowly gem stamina. My armory is in my sig if you want to see how to do it right, think my raid buffed CTC was probably around 102.41% as I never went above .50% and I was pretty much always at the lower bound.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    If youre over the CtC cap and want to see where you can replace mastery gems remember that

1% avoidance (in terms of block i.e. mastery for you) is 80 mastery rating. So for each % over the CtC cap you are you can replace 2 non epic yellow gems or turn 4 puissants into solids.

Edit: unless im really mistaken there's no way the Spine trinket will give you the needed 5.79 % avoidance youre currently lacking. Dont gem pure stamina until youve gotten to the actual CtC cap
    Last edited by mmoc241f3fedf6; 2012-04-29 at 11:32 AM.

Okay, I re-forged everything again. Lost some mastery but gained some parry/dodge (AskMrRobot told me to forge parry/dodge into mastery, but I forged hit/expertise into mastery now)

And what enchant is better then? Windwalk? But after CTC cap, does it really matter that much?

The same issue occured to me.After viewing your amory thanks to MerinPally you should change your gems in BiS parts for example your back and relic with their epic counterparts (Fractured lightstone) this should help you reach ctc much faster so then you can change your puissant gems with solid ones and start stacking stamina.Since you have Goriona's Collar from normal you should epic gem that too asap and check your ctc as it stands then.If (any I think you will reach ctc cap after switching some gems with epics) you reach the cap then you start switching blue socket gems (puissant dream emeralds in your case) with solid ones.Also switch your Weapon enchant with windwalk since you should switch your mop...I mean gavel of peroth'am (I used that weapon too for a LOOOOOOONG time...it sure looks very much like a mop :P ) with either hand of morchok (for it's mastery bonus and you can avoid its red socket bonus by just gemming a sold gem in there or a mastery one for the cap again because let's face it +10 str won't make THAT much of a difference) or souldrinker from either lfr or normal version and these are a bit tough to obtain.

Quote Originally Posted by Plwmar View Post
    The same issue occured to me.After viewing your amory thanks to MerinPally you should change your gems in BiS parts for example your back and relic with their epic counterparts (Fractured lightstone) this should help you reach ctc much faster so then you can change your puissant gems with solid ones and start stacking stamina.Since you have Goriona's Collar from normal you should epic gem that too asap and check your ctc as it stands then.If (any I think you will reach ctc cap after switching some gems with epics) you reach the cap then you start switching blue socket gems (puissant dream emeralds in your case) with solid ones.Also switch your Weapon enchant with windwalk since you should switch your mop...I mean gavel of peroth'am (I used that weapon too for a LOOOOOOONG time...it sure looks very much like a mop :P ) with either hand of morchok (for it's mastery bonus and you can avoid its red socket bonus by just gemming a sold gem in there or a mastery one for the cap again because let's face it +10 str won't make THAT much of a difference) or souldrinker from either lfr or normal version and these are a bit tough to obtain.
    Ahh I totally forgot the BiS items I had! And I run DS10 every week with a dedicated group. Is the Hand/Souldrinker THAT hard to get? Because I only have about ~11k gold, and after the 5 epic gems, it's gonna be a little hard for me to pay for the Windwalk enchant

And I totally transmogged the gavel haha. It was so ugly I couldn't stand it

EDIT: I just checked my CTC after hitting the dummies, getting a warrior to shout me, and eating my food. It was 102.71. That's good right? And Fractured Lightstones are 2.1k gold on my realm...
    Last edited by kreeva; 2012-04-30 at 11:17 AM.

well in your guild aren't there any jcers to cut the gems for you?I gathered all of mine from runs and I had to buy 2 lightstones from ah (about 800g each).Also the same rule applies for the enchant aren't there any enchanters in your guild to make you the enchant and you just buy the mats needed?102.4% is the ctc cap.did you count ctc with all stacks from resolve?in that case you wouldn't need windwalk actualy (apart from the speed burst but you could switch boots with pure mastery with just lavawalker for the movement speed).so in which case if you are ctc capped then dont go for windwalk rather than landslide to help in your raids with some more dps(mending heals you some points but it's not that much imo).

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 02:00 AM ----------

Furthermore after viewing your armory again for your reforges I believe you should switch your reforges on your shoulders from expertise-> mastery to parry->mastery your gains will be far greater (since you will eventually gain more block chance with mastery hence easier ctc cap) and the same for your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Plwmar View Post
    well in your guild aren't there any jcers to cut the gems for you?I gathered all of mine from runs and I had to buy 2 lightstones from ah (about 800g each).Also the same rule applies for the enchant aren't there any enchanters in your guild to make you the enchant and you just buy the mats needed?102.4% is the ctc cap.did you count ctc with all stacks from resolve?in that case you wouldn't need windwalk actualy (apart from the speed burst but you could switch boots with pure mastery with just lavawalker for the movement speed).so in which case if you are ctc capped then dont go for windwalk rather than landslide to help in your raids with some more dps(mending heals you some points but it's not that much imo).

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 02:00 AM ----------

Furthermore after viewing your armory again for your reforges I believe you should switch your reforges on your shoulders from expertise-> mastery to parry->mastery your gains will be far greater (since you will eventually gain more block chance with mastery hence easier ctc cap) and the same for your back.
    Yeah, my friend's a JC'er and I'm an enchanter. The raw mats are more expensive than the cuts on my realm right now, pretty much an upside down economy.

And I thought the pally talent Pursuit of Justice already gives you the max move speed and doesn't stack?

It does not stack with other movement buffs.Did you choose that talent?didn't check your talent selection usually this is for retri palas (since the moment you pull aggro on first hit or taunt the monster comes at you anyway...) and we use either boot enchant lavawalker for the movement buff or mastery (for pure mastery gains).But either way the effects dont stack