Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Movies] The Avengers = same plot of Transformers DSotM

[SPOILER ALERT]
    [SPOILER ALERT]
    [SPOILER ALERT]

What is the main theme of Transformers DSotM? "Lets summon an alien race over New York City and enslave the humans." What is the main theme of Avengers? "Lets summon an alien race over Chicago and enslave the humans." The only difference is, its not robots in the Avengers. The war is still fought in a large city in both movies and the main plot is the exact same. They even open a portal in the sky over a major US city in both movies.

[SPOILER ALERT]
    [SPOILER ALERT]
    [SPOILER ALERT]

I guess the point is that does anyone care about an epic story anymore or do they just like explosions and "ohh pretty!"?
    Last edited by Sylarian; 2012-04-29 at 01:29 PM.

Was there a point somewhere in that?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it a good or a bad thing ? cus i totally loved the movie
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

Deleted
    You could say that about Battle: Los Angeles too and other films like that.

They used a well recognised city and personally I loved the Avengers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    I stopped reading at "New York City". Transformer 3 takes place in Chicago.

Also, complaining about a plot in a superhero movie? are you being serious?
    And it's also not really a spoiler, the entire trailer shows him with an army trying to take over earth.

Wasn't it Chicago in Transformers?

*im too slow*

10+ Year Old Account
    That didn't even happen in Transformers, the aliens were already on Earth to enslave the humans. They summoned Cybertron to Earth. The Decepticons were all sleeping on the moon and Leonard Nimoy woke them up. I haven't seen The Avengers yet it's not out in the US until Friday, but aliens have been in the Marvel Universe for a long time so it's not a ripoff.

Mars Attacks
    Independance Day
    War of the Worlds
    Cowboys vs. Aliens
    Skyline
    Cloverfield
    The Faculty
    Signs
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    The Arrival
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Battlefield Earth
    Battle: Los Angeles
    Predator
    The Thing (my favorite alien invasion movie. The ORIGINAL version that is)
    The Inasion (granted just another version of Body snatchers)
    And many many MANY more.

Now I'm not saying which of those are good or bad mind you, some are pure crap. But you're acting like DSotM has the end all for alien invasions. Now not everything I mentioned has *Chicago* (edited to get the city right, my bad) and not all even take place in a city. But come on. You're trying to hard to compare the two. It's going to be the same premise as all of these other movies. Big bad aliens come, we kick some ass, take some names, happy ending with a twist after the credits. The only things that changes are who the big bad alien killers are.

This time, we have a Hulk.
    Last edited by Gizmoe; 2012-04-29 at 01:32 PM.

There you go, Scrapbot. Is my Signature small enough now? Will you finally shut up, you automated pretentious &##(@)!?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The theme of having a bunch of good guys band together to fight a bunch of bad guys is a lot older than both movies, as is the "lets summon alien overlords" plot.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    So what does this teach us?

It's not the plot that makes a movie, it's how that plot is delivered.

So even if The Avengers and Transformers 3 share a very similar plot and setting, the Avengers has memorable characters, solid pacing and a fine dose of humor and irony which set it apart from Transformers 3.

Sounds like OP fell asleep and woke up at the last 30 minutes of the movie

Deleted
    Lol I dont really think Marvel got inspired by the latest Transformers-movie when making the Avengers movie-script. They got HEAPLOADS of stories they can make movies off.

Deleted
    There are a lot of similar movies, and I don't care really. And I doubt a lot of other people do. The Avengers was an AMAZING movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. The Avengers was good but not great or epic. A bit of a letdown overall due to the weak plot and generic alien race.

Transformers need the human race to rebuild their war ravaged world

Avengers, the aliens dont want to enslave humans, but merely 'rule' over them, because they see them as vermin, and themselves as gods (or demi-gods)

oh, and Avengers makes Transformers look like poo..... a sloppy poo at that.

Deleted
    The transformers movie story actuly came from the G1 Transformers cartoon when megatron mind controls humans and transport cybertron to earth and actuly succed in the 3 part episode called Ultimate Doom.

All stories have been told before. It is not about what story is told, but how it is told.

Case in point.

The Iliad is about Aliens (Greeks) summoned (on boats) to Troy by jealous Goddesses (Hera and Athena), who used Helen (the woman they were jealous of) as a means to have the Greeks destroy the city of Troy. That is the gist of the story; and it's one of the oldest recorded tales in human history.
    Last edited by Anthraxxxis; 2012-04-29 at 03:01 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure you missed a lot of the point of the Avengers. The similarities between it and Transformers are few in my opinion.

Deleted
    i just watched it. haha i love hulk in there! but he gets too little screen time as teh green guy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think OP is on to something, I mean, who knew that all movies had similarities? It's just a movie, enjoy it, jesus. ><
    Also, some may say it's not important, but The Avengers had far better humor and writing than any of the Transformers movie, also more character.