Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New Updates on US soldier killing spree in Afghanistan?

Not trying to ignite some anti-American sentiment here. We can all agree it was a horrible tragedy and needs to be dealt with swiftly and sternly. I poked around the internet but have been unable to find any updates, anyone know if the court-marital has been held? Sentence handed down?

If you need your memory refreshed.
    Story Coverage

Deleted
    Some court martials can take months to arrange, no doubt he is cooling in a military nick while they get things sorted.
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2012-04-29 at 04:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Some court marshals can take months to arrange, no doubt he is cooling in a military nick while they get things sorted.
    Yeah I just remember reading a US army general saying that 'he would not be leaving afghanistan and they were pushing for a very expedient trial.'

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Yeah I just remember reading a US army general saying that 'he would not be leaving afghanistan and they were pushing for a very expedient trial.'
    I thought they had already shipped him back to the US. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to try him in Afghan courts or perhaps sent him to the Hague to be tried by the international court?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I thought they had already shipped him back to the US. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to try him in Afghan courts or perhaps sent him to the Hague to be tried by the international court?
    You don't hand over your troops to foreign courts for trial, no matter what he has done. You keep it in house.

10+ Year Old Account
    The US will not turn over it's military members to be tried in a foreign country like that, same goes for int'l court.... It's not really a question of justice but a level of trust between the US and it's troops.

You don't hand over your troops to foreign courts for trial, no matter what he has done. You keep it in house.
    I agree. No matter how horrific the crime, every country should do whatever they can to bring it's citizens to justice in their own country.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackfu View Post
    I agree. No matter how horrific the crime, every country should do whatever they can to bring it's citizens to justice in their own country.
    Thats funny, last time I checked war crimes were an international affair. Being able to operate outside of international law leads to a feeling of impunity. We tried the the Japanese military command after WW2, why shouldn't the people of a country we have attacked have the right to prosecute those who commit atrocities on their soil? If what you are saying makes sense then we could just ship everyone in Guantanamo back to their respective countries for trials.
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Deleted
    Thats funny, last time I checked war crimes were an international affair. Being able to operate outside of international law leads to a feeling of impunity. We tried the the Japanese military command after WW2, why shouldn't the people of a country we have attacked have the right to prosecute those who commit atrocities on their soil? If what you are saying makes sense then we could just ship everyone in Guantanamo back to their respective countries for trials.
    Impunity? this guy is looking at a life sentence at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    The US will not turn over it's military members to be tried in a foreign country like that, same goes for int'l court.... It's not really a question of justice but a level of trust between the US and it's troops.

not true. i know that some US troops are siting in Japanese jails because of some things they have done. with that said though he probably wouldnt make it to trial if Afgan was holding him they would probably just kill him

Impunity? this guy is looking at a life sentence at the very least.
    I wonder, if you really think about it, do you suppose that people feel different about this case as opposed to say some dude that goes on a shooting rampage at the local mall? In the case where the massacre happens inside the country everyone is quick to disavow the killer and even his entire family, yet in this circumstance people seem to still feel like he is 'one of us.'

Something that makes this case even more horrific is the number of young children that were slaughtered, if that happened in this country imagine the public reaction.

Deleted
    International courts for war crimes like Den Haag, Nürnberg, the trials against the Japanese, have one major rule: Vae victis. Woe to the loser. There are some rare exceptions, some token Croatians like Godovina, if the country is small enough, but you won't even see a Russian or Chinese being accused, no matter how horrific their crimes would have been, much less a NATO member.

Deleted
    I wonder, if you really think about it, do you suppose that people feel different about this case as opposed to say some dude that goes on a shooting rampage at the local mall? In the case where the massacre happens inside the country everyone is quick to disavow the killer and even his entire family, yet in this circumstance people seem to still feel like he is 'one of us.'

Something that makes this case even more horrific is the number of young children that were slaughtered, if that happened in this country imagine the public reaction.
    To me it is just as serious an offence, if not more so because he did it in an occupied country wearing a uniform.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by velgian View Post
    not true. i know that some US troops are siting in Japanese jails because of some things they have done. with that said though he probably wouldnt make it to trial if Afgan was holding him they would probably just kill him
    Getting hammered drunk in Oki and doing dumb shit is completely different from killing 16 unarmed civilian in a war zone. I guarantee if he were tried in afghanistan we would not be sitting in a jail cell.

This is getting off topic though, this is not a discussion about whether troops should be tried in host countries or not it's merely an inquiry to see if anyone has case update info.

10+ Year Old Account
    I havn't heard any updates recently, which is a good thing. Let the investigators do their work, then let the media chime in. Last thing we need is another Trayvon story where everyone makes assumptions without knowing all the details.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by velgian View Post
    That's because we have a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with Japan. Not so much with Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_forces_agreement
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2012-04-29 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    That's because we have a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) with Japan. Not so much with Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_forces_agreement
    im aware of that. the statement was in reply to him saying The US will not turn over it's military members to be tried in a foreign country. which isnt completely true. some cases yes some no. the japan case wasnt in reference to dumb drunkeness more like 3 military members rapeing some young girl doesnt exactly fall under the stupid drunk military while not murder spree still terrible. in the case of the guy in afgan it would be correct. in others it would not be. anyways no i have not heard anything new in the case nor do i want to. the guy will get whats coming to him.
    Last edited by velgian; 2012-04-29 at 07:13 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Was this RL based on a movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0257756/
    Did he base his actions on a movie? I very much doubt it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of where his trial takes place, he's obviously got some issues that need treatment and he should probably be in a facility (either criminal or psychiatric) for a long time for his own and other peoples' protection.