Opinion on Hp Envy 15

I plan on going to college after summer and am in need of a new laptop that is slim, easy to carry around and can fulfill my school needs while still being a powerhouse when it comes to gaming.

After doing a very small amount of research, the Hp Envy 15 seemed to fit this almost perfectly...besides the price.

I have a budget of around $2000 for this machine, which again the Hp Envy 15 fits. But I want to make sure i'm getting the best for my buck. I have little to no computer building skills, so i'd rather just go through a company such as Hp to deal with the building and compatibility issues + warranty is always nice.

Not really helping, there are tons of options under HP Envy 15.

Also gaming and slim & easy to carry will never really meet because gaming requires cooling which increases weight and size of the laptop.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Well with a budget of 2k,

Would customize it a bit more

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh.../ENVY15_series

10+ Year Old Account
    You're going to get much more performance out of this:
    http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-0nc0...wconfigure=yes

With the new GPU line & 3rd generation of Intel processor, it's going to last you for a quite bit

You could throw in a little more dosh in, but the only I'd suggest is:
    "3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3720QM (2.6GHz - 3.6GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)"
    "Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU"
    Full Size Black Aluminum Notebook Cooler
    System recovery disc
    & Ofcourse the extended warranty.
    Downgrade to "4X Blu-Ray Reader / 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive" to save some money, the extra money for 6x Blu-ray reader is not really worth it.
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-04-30 at 03:38 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    You're going to get much more performance out of this:
    http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-0nc0...wconfigure=yes

With the new GPU line & 3rd generation of Intel processor, it's going to last you for a quite bit

You could throw in a little more dosh in, but the only I'd suggest is:
    "3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3720QM (2.6GHz - 3.6GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)"
    "Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU"
    System recovery disc
    & Ofcourse the extended warranty.
    Downgrade to "4X Blu-Ray Reader / 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive" to save some money, the extra money for 6x Blu-ray reader is not really worth it.
    Wow, this computer seems absolutely amazing. Do you think there will be any issues seeing as some of the parts literally came out in the last week?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was unaware of this website and they seem very reliable. I might get my laptop for this September from them too seeing as how they ship to Canada, which is nice.
    Professor Necomi - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Necomi/simple
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

10+ Year Old Account
    Latus, they've been on the testing bench for a couple of months now, if there were any parts blowing up I'm sure they would delay the launch of Ivy Bridge & the new line of GPU's =)
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Latus, they've been on the testing bench for a couple of months now, if there were any parts blowing up I'm sure they would delay the launch of Ivy Bridge & the new line of GPU's =)
    Sick, that's good to know. If I were to get this laptop (which is a very big chance) i'd go with the GT60 simply because of the smaller size and easier to carry. Could you recommend to me some upgrades that you think are necessary?

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 07:08 AM ----------

Bump
    10 letters

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bump threads, ever.
    (Next time a mod is going to punish you)

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt60-0nc0...wconfigure=yes
    3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3720QM
    120GB Patriot Pyro SE Solid State Drive
    750GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer
    Clean Windows Installation
    Disable Raid and Set up Hard Drives as Independant Drives
    $2097.15

Armory

Kk looks good and in my budget.

After doing a little bit of research on reviews and what not, a few people were complaining about the space bar being faulty. I'm going to have to wait awhile to see if this is a major issue because I plan on using this in college as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the spacebar is being faulty then the warranty covers it.

Armory