Thread: Mounts

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I wouldn't be sorry to see them in game. I love mounts.
    That said, have some faith in the developers' visions. They might just have some inkling of how to make a game. Just a hunch

Jokes aside, I'll say this: it's a lot easier to implement something later, than having it to begin with then taking it out.

Off topic: I bet there are times when Blizzard regrets adding flying mounts. But then they count all the $$$ they made from selling sparkle ponies and sparkle lions and sparkle dragons and they feel better!
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

Not having mounts is somewhat tedious in pve, but i played eq for years so it didn't bother me that much. An out of combat sprint would solve it fairly well. Wouldn't be good enough in WvW, the lack of waypoints and the size of the zones makes not having a mount extremely painful. As someone else pointed out, don't come at me with that "well you can build waypoints" bullshit because nobody does and my server utterly dominated all 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythax View Post
    I never had issues running past mobs when I was on my warrior. In fact I found it fun. Felt like a burlier version Indiana Jones, dodging past mobs, dashing past artillery crossbows, sending people flying if they were in my way, it was fantastic! The game has a very satisfying way of letting the player feel powerful, but at the same time being VERY punishing to people who don't "get" it.
    I agree. I saw often in chat about people struggling with engineers being underpowered, but I felt like an exploding, gun wielding god on mine. I'd throw down rifle/rocket turrets, run in and blunderbuss blast to the face, followed by a powerful knockback, double rocket stomp right on top of the enemy, flame boot to the face, rocket jump backwards, and I could almost one-shot a veteran without even taking damage. It was glorious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally loved the fact that there were no mounts in the game, I've always disliked them a bit in other games. There were plenty of waypoints to get around quickly and no mounts means you actually need to think a bit about what you are doing and where you are going. It gives you the time to look around and discover places you otherwise wouldn't have.

I can imagine the lack of mounts and speed to be rather frustrating to many people though.
    Oh and the WvWvW could use 1 or 2 more waypoints as well, not too many mind you as things will desolve too much into a zerg / suicide fest if they add too many, but some walks were rather long (on the other hand it did give me the time to enjoy the awesome fortresses and castles they made )

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I agree. I saw often in chat about people struggling with engineers being underpowered, but I felt like an exploding, gun wielding god on mine. I'd throw down rifle/rocket turrets, run in and blunderbuss blast to the face, followed by a powerful knockback, double rocket stomp right on top of the enemy, flame boot to the face, rocket jump backwards, and I could almost one-shot a veteran without even taking damage. It was glorious.
    I only got to level 3 on my Engineer, but I saw screenshots elsewhere... Lightning Whip has got to be the coolest looking skill.
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

10+ Year Old Account
    I only felt I need mounts during WvW (and when I ran out of money for waypoints). According to the GW2-forum you can upgrade keeps to have waypoints, but I never saw them, and they're quite expensive at lower level. WvW is awesome, but you need to run for 2 minutes in order to get to the awesome.

I wouldn't need mounts, but anything to improve this could work. Traveling between waypoints is a pain, especially if you get ambushed by a couple of mobs and die.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post
    Off topic: I bet there are times when Blizzard regrets adding flying mounts. But then they count all the $$$ they made from selling sparkle ponies and sparkle lions and sparkle dragons and they feel better!
    That may be, but I bet they've never regretted adding land mounts.
    And land mounts are what we are talking about here, not flying ones

Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post
    I only got to level 3 on my Engineer, but I saw screenshots elsewhere... Lightning Whip has got to be the coolest looking skill.
    It does look sweet, but I still vastly preferred using a rifle over pistols.

You dont really need a mount in PVE. Your first time through areas are all about exploring. Yes if you die you will have to run back to some locations that down have nearby waypoints requireing you to rekill mobs but GW2 is meant to be played with other people and running with a group of friends or randoms will keep you alive, Also unless its a full wipe at some event someone will see the dead players and try to res them. I was ressed multiple times in PVE situations fighting champion and veteran mobs. No one wants to run back and they will rez you as long as it doesnt kill them when they are trying.

Deleted
    Didnt miss having a mount one single time actually, the waypoints and your "increase speed" skill was enough

Deleted
    I did not miss it. I like the system as it is. I love the fact you have to unlock the waypoint first and that you have to pay to travel. Also the paying when you die is also a good incentive to try and stay alive.
    And for the people who say "what if i do not have any money? do i stay in limbo until someone bothers to ress me ?" If when you die you don't have any money you can ress at the nearest waypoint for free (but this was bugged for some people in the beta). Also the fact that if a "town"/"village" is contested you can not use that point and that is something that will make the people to protect said places
    And finaly the very few waypoints in WvW is for strategic reason.

Deleted
    The problem in this beta was that people,me included, didnt knew how to ''build'' a teleport in some towers. but ones we learn we can travel easily

Quote Originally Posted by Ærion View Post
    Basically my way or the highway, right?
    For the sake of civilized conversation I will not elaborate my opinion of people like you..
    No, U are wrong. I am just suggesting a solution, knowing that ANet won't give us mounts, they never had plans for that besides mount fights (cavalry?).
    I have a nice team of programmers and It was never "my way or the higway", even in private life I fully trust ppl and I let them free to do what they believe is good for them and for others. I just wrote that sentence to Fencers because it's my habit to propose a fast and simple solutions when somebody suffers of smth that is unchangable (mounts in gw2 for exmaple). Got it? U just read my post from the wrong side beacuse alot of ppl on the forum using such sentece I used, would hide in it negative comment. I dunno how to write correctly without a chance of negative feedback, what I wanted to tell, in english, it is not my main language.

If somebody has links about mounts in GW2, this would be appreciated. I am gonna do some search now.

but if WvWvW every tower and keep will have a waypoint, imagine conquering that, while U must run to siege it, and defenders are just tping and soon U get flooded by them Yes, more waypoints are needed there but hmm, maybe just give all speedboost while not in combat.

All I know, is that Speed Boons were abused immensely for WvW. I remember after a WvW server was reset, my team made it to Stonemist Keep first, because the Elementalists and Hunters (from what I could tell) kept chaining their multi-target abilities that granted Speed Boons.

ArenaNet's whole philosophy of "bring the player, not the class", goes right out the fucking window in this instance. Then again, there are lots of things that can be abused, like the Mesmer portals; but not to the extent of Speed Boons being chained.

Kinda off topic... I think ArenaNet possibly fucked themselves over with so few skills, and trying to make them viable for both PvE and PvP, without being overpowered or useless. I thought they were going to implement a divide, so that weapons acted differently or had different skills depending on PvE or PvP? Could've possibly made balancing easier, or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by dunghoof View Post
    Not needed in Battlegrounds

But!
    All the running around in PVE and WWW -.- Made me wanna hang my self.
    Just make them dismount on combat and speed equivalent to speed boons, maybe a bit more.
    Add more waypoints in www, yes you might be able to build them but I didn't see that happen once! playing on the winning server.

What do you guys think?
    In WvW, you will be able to upgrade your keeps other buildings to have waypoints. It will make it a lot less of a hassle. I thought everything was fine. I don't want this game to turn in to a lazy game like WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by u9k13tjc View Post
    No need in pve, lots of way points and pretty easy to get around.

But WvWvW needs something, maybe not mounts, just more way points. Every tower or keep you hold should automatically have one IMO.
    This would be a bad idea. I know it's a bit of a silly comparison, but imagine if, say, Arathi Basin in WoW had teleports you could take to go from flag to flag. Defenders shouldn't be able to have that much freedom of movement, or attackers will never gain any ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was actually kind of fun running around with no mount, especially roaming the cities. Made 'em feel huge and glamorous. I could make out actual players instead of whatever the flavor of the month mammoth or dragon or pigbeast is.

I suppose it would get pretty tedious/frustrating after awhile though. The waypoints were plenty for me, but I also didn't really level up past 10.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

The keeps in WvW have waypoints but they are an upgrade. I would expect once the game gets rolling for more than a weekend and when WvW lasts two weeks most except for your most forward keeps will have a waypoint to use.

Deleted
    Add more waypoints in www, yes you might be able to build them but I didn't see that happen once! playing on the winning server.
    only problem was - averyone is on noob lvl in this beta^^
    you can build in all castles waypoints but you have to pay 50 silver for it - noone had this
    saw a shop with lvl 60 wepons and they was like 10g+ so i guess on higher lvls you make easier gold and upgrades in WvWvW will be buyd

relax - its just cause everyone is low lvl^^