Thread: Mounts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    You don't really need a mount in PVE. Your first time through areas are all about exploring. Yes if you die you will have to run back to some locations that down have nearby waypoints requiring you to rekill mobs but GW2 is meant to be played with other people and running with a group of friends or randoms will keep you alive, Also unless its a full wipe at some event someone will see the dead players and try to res them. I was ressed multiple times in PVE situations fighting champion and veteran mobs. No one wants to run back and they will rez you as long as it doesn't kill them when they are trying.
    Even during the beta, with the servers filled with players, there were plenty of occasions that I traveled alone, both in PvE as in WvW. They implemented waypoints because they didn't want to waste anyone's time, but (especially in WvW) I feel like I'm more running around than actually playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    This would be a bad idea. I know it's a bit of a silly comparison, but imagine if, say, Arathi Basin in WoW had teleports you could take to go from flag to flag. Defenders shouldn't be able to have that much freedom of movement, or attackers will never gain any ground.
    Agreed, defenders shouldn't be able to teleport into a besieged keep. How about this? Put a waypoint outside of the keep or tower and make it buildable with supply (as opposed to money) and also make it destroyable (not even that strong). That way travel is faster, and it adds another layer of strategy.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    but if WvWvW every tower and keep will have a waypoint, imagine conquering that, while U must run to siege it, and defenders are just tping and soon U get flooded by them Yes, more waypoints are needed there but hmm, maybe just give all speedboost while not in combat.
    I agree, and I like your suggestion at the end, but I can see potential problems with it. Like, one person entering an enemy into combat, and then having a cluster of people just descend onto the poor enemy victim.

Honestly, I can't really see a solution that wouldn't come with some sort of negative side effect too. I really wish there was a solution though.

I remember running down from the top of the Borderlands, all the way to one of the bases at the bottom of the map surrounded by water. My team had busted through the gate before I arrived, but I noticed a downed player outside of the gate. I stopped to revive the player, and then the guards spawned on top of me and I was killed. I rage quit right then and there. Not only for having wasted my time running there, but for also having my "good deed" return negative consequences. I sure as hell wasn't going to take that little journey again.
    Last edited by Pandolfo; 2012-04-30 at 11:48 AM.

Deleted
    At least in PVE I don't see the need for mounts. Can't speak for WxWxW tough.
    Last edited by mmoc8aa8707625; 2012-04-30 at 11:49 AM.

yea, seems complicated a bit, hmm. I posted that on official forums, wanna see feedback there

This WvW speedboost would only work out of combat and would be switched on and off and 2 conditions:

1.) U can switch if on 15 seconds after the fight
    2.) if U switch it off, U cant use abilities for 10-15 seconds (I just dunno how to explain the meaning of this cooldown)

Dunno, I just quickly wrote my first thoughs. Have been playing onlines for 8 years and in every mmo I am trying to find the ways to improve general experience (there will always be some % of haters so just ignore them, try to maximize the % of happy ppl). It is geat training for a internet developer which I am.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2012-04-30 at 11:55 AM.

HAHA, I just thought of something. You know those little speed pads on the ground in Mario Kart? What if those were placed distances apart on top of roads, that gave a Speed Boon when walked over?

Yeah, it's not much different from the suggestion I quoted and talked about; but I thought it would be funny to throw out there.

I am a mount collector in WoW, It takes up loads of my time and I often feel frustrated about mounts that I can no longer obtain for silly reasons. I used to want mounts for GW2, but after playing for 24 hours I can honestly say that I don't want them in this game...the running is vibrant and faster than in any other game I've seen, there's things happening in the world meaning you'll never just run on a road with mobs wandering about not caring about you as long as you stay on it. Many classes I think have speed buff abilities, like Ranger using a warhorn gets a boost to speed and damage, fairly short CD and lasts for quite some time.

No, GW2 doesn't need mounts. It would only take up precious time and unless they'd make you have ONE mount available through personal story, it would just feel silly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandolfo View Post
    HAHA, I just thought of something. You know those little speed pads on the ground in Mario Kart? What if those were placed distances apart on top of roads, that gave a Speed Boon when walked over?

Yeah, it's not much different from the suggestion I quoted and talked about; but I thought it would be funny to throw out there.
    Hahaha i would be fun
    Well , until u see mobs , in this formation :

Splats

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I am a mount collector in WoW, It takes up loads of my time and I often feel frustrated about mounts that I can no longer obtain for silly reasons. I used to want mounts for GW2, but after playing for 24 hours I can honestly say that I don't want them in this game...the running is vibrant and faster than in any other game I've seen, there's things happening in the world meaning you'll never just run on a road with mobs wandering about not caring about you as long as you stay on it. Many classes I think have speed buff abilities, like Ranger using a warhorn gets a boost to speed and damage, fairly short CD and lasts for quite some time.

No, GW2 doesn't need mounts. It would only take up precious time and unless they'd make you have ONE mount available through personal story, it would just feel silly.
    This.

I've never felt so compelled to go out and explore the world, taking in the beautiful sights. Often times I catch myself standing still and admiring the rich detailed world ArenaNet has created. Everything just looks so beautiful in this game I can't help but feel that mounts might hinder one's experience. Mounts aren't needed in this game, but if they added one down the road for collection purposes I won't complain either :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nighties View Post
    . Everything just looks so beautiful in this game I can't help but feel that mounts might hinder one's experience.
    How the hell would mounts hinder one's experience? There are a couple of reason that people can give for not wanting mounts, but hindering one's experience?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I didn't really have any problems with running from place to place. The only time I was running a lot was when I was exploring a new area and hadn't discovered any of the waypoints in that particular part of the map. Granted, I would get frustrated when I died and didn't have a waypoint to respawn at except for the ones from five minutes away, but I always considered that my own damn fault for dying in the first place. :P

Basically, it didn't really bother me not having a mount. I felt that the waypoints were spread evenly enough so that it wasn't an issue. Maybe that was just in the Charr starting zone though, where I spent most of my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    How the hell would mounts hinder one's experience? There are a couple of reason that people can give for not wanting mounts, but hindering one's experience?
    I could see it, honestly. Mounts in MMOs tend to be rather large affairs - they have to be bigger than the player riding them after all - and GW2's areas are already fairly crowded and busy places. Cities are FULL of wall-to-wall NPCs going places and doing things, spaces are oftentimes narrow, and there's literally so much going on in them that even wide open streets can feel cramped. Add tons of players zooming around on big huge mounts into the mix, and it could turn into a total clusterfuck.

Anyways, I don't really see them as being needed or necessary for the game at all. The only time I ever felt like I had to run way too far was when it was my own fault for going off to fight mobs without discovering the nearest waypoint beforehand, and then dying and having to run a million miles to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by dunghoof View Post
    Not needed in Battlegrounds

But!
    All the running around in PVE and WWW -.- Made me wanna hang my self.
    Just make them dismount on combat and speed equivalent to speed boons, maybe a bit more.
    Add more waypoints in www, yes you might be able to build them but I didn't see that happen once! playing on the winning server.

What do you guys think?
    Personally I hope mounts never make it into the game. I just know what will happen, and its firstly making the world feel smaller. And I dont feel there is any need to make this world seem any smaller, I dont want to miss a thing. I dont want to have things fly me by while im cruisin on some random mount.

Getting from place to place is fine as it is, except maybe Word verse World as I didn't play that too much. Getting from one end of a zone to the other is quicker than most other MMOs and it would also ruin the immersion such a beautiful world creates.

I'll wait until after I leveled up a character or two before I decide if mounts are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I'm strictly talking about PVE of course. I can't say the same for PVP since I shamefully forgot to check out WvW.

While traveling on foot I felt I wasn't in a real rush to go anywhere. It was all about exploration, finding the little things in the world that surprises and amaze you. With a mount, it'd be a lot easier for me to miss those things since you're not necessarily stopping to enjoy the sights but going places, fast. I'm of the opinion that mounts are not necessary to enjoy this game. Transportation is already made easy, all you have to do is meet them halfway by unlocking Waypoints and paying the fair.

Will there be mounts?
    Other than map travel and asura gates, there will be no other methods of long distance travel such as mounts, ships, etc in Guild Wars 2 upon initial release.
    source: http://guildwars2.cz/otazky-odpovedi...ildwars2-cz/2/ (interview with a Game Lead Designer and some other devs)
    "Will be there any other kind of traveling across long distances apart from asura gates (e.g. ship)?
    Any of the major (non-capturable) waypoints that a player has unlocked can be travelled to regardless of the distance involved. Prices do vary depending on distance though, and asura gates are free, so a player might find it advantageous to use asura gates in some circumstances. Other than waypoints and asura gates, there will be no other methods of long distance travel such as mounts, ships, etc in Guild Wars 2 upon initial release."

Make it so that you move 50% quicker when your not in combat. Itll force you to stay on roads, but nothing more

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You can't outrun most mobs actually. Many have bleeds, snares and roots and also charge [gap close]. Further if you are in an injured state and a mob is in pursuit [no matter how far they may be] it will aggro any other mundane mob to you. So no, that is outright bullshit.
    I had little to no problems leashing off mobs. Unless it was an event, I don't see this as a problem at all.
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

Quote Originally Posted by Synbaby View Post
    I had little to no problems leashing off mobs. Unless it was an event, I don't see this as a problem at all.
    I actually had quite a few (2 veterans in a row) reset on me, which was awkward.
    They were not attached to any DE, though.
    Not sure what caused it, my kiting was all within about 20yards, I wa smaking very small circles. (wowyardswoo, I can't judge distance in gw2 'range' numbers yet.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I saw no reason in this beta as to why they would implement mounts, at all.

Most, if not all, classes has some kind of speed boost/charge on a decent CD. That together with waypoints is more then enough.

And yes, you could run away from mobs quite easily with the help of some dodging here and there, easier then running away from them on a mount in WoW.