Poll: Favorite profession?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I wanted to play Thief, and Mesmer. Then I played Thief and Mesmer.

Hellooooo Necro & Engineer. Had a blast on these two, really thoroughly enjoyed myself. I have no idea what I'll play in the long run, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

If I could figure out how to PVE with mesmer without dying(and likewise without images dying in 1 hit...hard to use them with em exploding within a second of being summoned), I really enjoyed this class. I love the idea of confusion and such, I just all around felt week in PVE. Although sword was a bit of fun.
    Last edited by Yoshimiko; 2012-04-30 at 12:36 PM.

I started off my beta experience thinking that I wanted to be an engineer, so I started the BWE playing a ranger so I wouldn't spoil the engineer on launch, and I immediately fell in love with it. I tried an elementalist afterward and the same exact thing happened with that. THEN I played a warrior and wanted to play that, then I went back to the ranger to do personal story stuff and wanted to play that. In the end though, I ended up trying the engineer and as soon as I unlocked the flamethrower I knew that this profession was for me.

Deleted
    Originally I wanted to play Elementalist, with Mesmer a close second. After the BWE I now think I prefer Necromancer. It was just a lot more fun in general and I had a great time with it in pvp.

Mesmer... I loved the class. Had a lot of fun in PvP and Pve with it, after figuring out that shattering was good xD

10+ Year Old Account
    After some solid hands on Mesmer is my choice the shattering mechanics and interesting weapon switches, Thief ended up a pretty fun class leaping death blossom and the move sets looks awesome and not as squishy as some people were claiming

Necro was the one class i couldnt stand for some reason
    Last edited by Window; 2012-04-30 at 12:56 PM.
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

10+ Year Old Account
    The Mesmer is now my new main. I am not too surprised by this, but it is the one class that I felt in tune with while playing. I always liked more subtle characters and the Mesmer defintely is subtle. Mind you, I did very little pve this time around because I wanted to see which five classes I would be playing and I think I might have done that this weekend.

So far it is: Mesmer>Thief(mostly for pvp)/Guardian (For PvE mostly)>Necromancer>Ranger/Engineer

Disclaimer: I only played the Guardian a little after figuring out how to do the traits, but then it got too laggy when I finally figured out how to use him. He felt really good and had a ton of survival, but felt a little like a sitting duck compared to my Pistol/Pistol Thief and Greatsword/Staff Mesmer. As I said, lag killed it for me but I will try him out in pve next time for sure. So I won't be changing my sig just yet, but after the next Beta Weekend I might if the Mesmer is still my favorite.

Sadly I could not choose between the Ranger or Engineer this beta weekend. I spent A LOT of time on my Mesmer and Thief so I did not have time to spend in-depth on every character. However, these are the ones that I played and they stuck with me. The Warrior is pretty fun as is the Ele, but the Warrior sort of feels flat when I compare it to my Guardian, and the Ele feels way too fragile for me to seriously use. Yes, it is nice in pvp when you can nuke a choke point (so in WvWvW they would be annoying) but if people know how to move out of the way, they can two shot you if you are not careful.
    Last edited by Speedy92286; 2012-04-30 at 12:55 PM.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    If I could figure out how to PVE with mesmer without dying
    Dodge?
    The 1handed sword's 2-skill is great as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    I leveled most of the professions this weekend, the ones I enjoyed and played most were the engineer and guardian.

I leveled a guardian two times though. The first time, I went in thinking like a paladin, which I play on wow. I wasn't enjoying it all, and got frustrated and deleted my guardian. As the weekend progressed and I leveled some other professions and got used to the combat system, I decided to try guardian again.

I loved it the second time leveling!! I started out with a mace and shield, but then I picked up a scepter and focus and that sold me on the profession. It was amazing. Its a caster that can shield and block itself and people around me. As I got higher level, I picked up a sword and shield and started switching out weapon sets based on my situation(even played around with scepter and shield). It was by far, the most fun I had leveling in a long long time. If I had to describe it, I would say its like an inquistor cleric from rift with a little bit of wow paladin, but still different and better.

I know it's only beta and there are some bugs that still need ironing out, but now I am even more excited about this game coming out. There are so many different ways to play each profession, its mind-blowing.
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

I played an Ele, War, Rang, and Necro, all of which were quite a bit of fun, but of those four I had the most fun with the Elementalist. Doing the stance dance with the Ele was a ton of fun. I ran mostly as a Scepter/Dagger (Ride the Lightning FTW!) and once I started doing the stance dance, my DPS and survivability went way up. Necro was a little more fun that I had anticipated, while the Ranger was a little less fun, but that was most likely due to the lag issues on Friday. Warrior was fun as well and really opened up at L7 once I got the weapon swap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless they buff Warrior survivability or nerf overall Monster damage, I probably won't be going Warrior. First, no regeneration like the Guardian, so you have to rely on your heal for health: Problem is, they are ALL very weak (at low levels, anyway) and the regeneration signet is on a 40-second Cooldown... If you end up using the signet, you won't have ANY source of healing unless you're with another person or you use a Utility skill.

I dunno, but if you give me a warhammer or greatsword to charge into enemies, why would you make events (and even just general enemies that are put into packs in the wild) where they can all kill you in 5 seconds WITHOUT scaling? I dunno, but I've learned that if you aggro more than 3 enemies as a Melee Warrior, the enemies better be weak trash or you won't last long at all.

I liked how many passive regeneration/defense skills the Guardian has, but they felt too "Supporty".

I'll probably be trying out Ranger and Elementalist next beta.

Deleted
    Let me put it this way, now I know which classes will take up my 5 character slots: Mesmer, Necro, Ranger, Ele and Guardian.

I went in thinking that I would want to be Warrior for sure, but after playing the other classes (didn't try warrior- saving for release) I may have to go back on that. I loved the way the Guardian played, I thought it had a great blend of survivability, damage, and team usefulness. It felt like a Paragon really should have felt, standing on the front lines instead of the back throwing javelins. I know that I will for sure be playing mostly melee classes in GW2, I love the harder challenge to stay alive and use dodge very strategically. It just feels way more action-y than standing far away plopping arrows or rifle shots at a target.