Diablo 3 loot mechanics

After playing open beta, I came to find out some weird new aspects when it comes to looting, for example, each new characters FIRST kill on the skeleton king, always yielded a yellow item, never again in the many many many times farming him, did it ever drop a yellow.

So to test / farm that mechanic, I would carry a level 1 friend through the boss fight, a new character never before slain the Sking, I did over 30 runs, each time the level one (which was deleted and then remade after each kill) would ALWAYS get a yellow item, sometimes even 2 yellow items, while me, the one running, had NEVER gotten a yellow other than my first kill.

Beta is beta, but... if this mechanic goes live, and follows up with all the other bosses in the game, it kinda makes the magic find gear pointless, and gives a BIG advantage to farmers, and in my personal opinion, doesn't stay true to the nature of the diablo series. Has there been a blue post on this?

They've already said that bosses won't be the main thing to farm, and those who did nothing but kill bosses would be missing out.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As D2, You spammed bosses and such however in D3; You aren't going to be doing that, In fact your pretty much failing at item hunting in terms of D3 if you try doing the D2 way which is spam End bosses.

Every unique / Mob should be killed
    Every pot / Chest thing should be looted / Broken

Yada yada

Obviously you don't know a thing about the "nature" of the diablo series, because that very mechanic was there in Diablo 2. First boss kill always awards Rares, after that its up to the gods of RNG.

Also, like everyone else is saying, farming just bosses is not the way to do it anymore. Ideally, you clear out the whole act, stack Massive magic find with Nephalem Valor, and then kill a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun-Ra View Post
    After playing open beta, I came to find out some weird new aspects when it comes to looting, for example, each new characters FIRST kill on the skeleton king, always yielded a yellow item, never again in the many many many times farming him, did it ever drop a yellow.

So to test / farm that mechanic, I would carry a level 1 friend through the boss fight, a new character never before slain the Sking, I did over 30 runs, each time the level one (which was deleted and then remade after each kill) would ALWAYS get a yellow item, sometimes even 2 yellow items, while me, the one running, had NEVER gotten a yellow other than my first kill.

Beta is beta, but... if this mechanic goes live, and follows up with all the other bosses in the game, it kinda makes the magic find gear pointless, and gives a BIG advantage to farmers, and in my personal opinion, doesn't stay true to the nature of the diablo series. Has there been a blue post on this?
    MF gear is never pointless, unless you want to spend time grinding out all of normal, nightmare and then hell just to kill the bosses in inferno for that extra loot. Your best bet would be to just kill everything in inferno instead of try to do that... much more efficient use of time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    MF gear is never pointless, unless you want to spend time grinding out all of normal, nightmare and then hell just to kill the bosses in inferno for that extra loot. Your best bet would be to just kill everything in inferno instead of try to do that... much more efficient use of time.
    Plus, clearing cathedral as opposed to rushing boss would net you more magic items anyway. When leveling up, I found (with the level limit imposed), crafted items to be a nice buffer while you look for an item, especially if you're getting a bit behind on gear.

Quote Originally Posted by widowkiller View Post
    Obviously you don't know a thing about the "nature" of the diablo series, because that very mechanic was there in Diablo 2. First boss kill always awards Rares, after that its up to the gods of RNG.

Also, like everyone else is saying, farming just bosses is not the way to do it anymore. Ideally, you clear out the whole act, stack Massive magic find with Nephalem Valor, and then kill a boss.
    This is pretty much what they want to happen

I have to wonder though if it will be possible to invite a level 1 and have them teleport to you at any boss in any act, on any difficulty...if so then i suppose it'll come down to bugging friends alot to make new characters for a single boss kill ><
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Deleted
    Zerfallen is right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRabidDeer View Post
    Not to mention that the buff disappears when you leave the game, so killing everything in other difficulties won't help ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sun-Ra View Post
    The higher drop chance(its not guaranteed) on the first kill of a boss isn't so farmable as you might think. Not in the way you describe. Noone cares what the first boss drops. Its not even a big deal what the last boss of the game in normal drops. Its fun for twinking, sure. Real endgame loot and good progression gear to make jumps into the next difficulty are much more valuable, and compare how much time you're going to spend rerolling new characters to get kills at those difficulty levels as opposed to just playing your existing and well equipped character.