178. This poll is closed
  • Male

67 37.64%
  • Female

111 62.36%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blockygame View Post
    Got anything to add to the topic, want to suggest the correct off-topic forum (seems this is the closest match eh)?

OT: I'm not really fussed on the gender of the dog to be honest, but I guess depending on breed it can make a difference, especially around young children.
    Young children are not threatened more by one gender or the other, they are threatened by adult humans owning dogs they cannot handle properly. I have owned the race Rottweiler for soon half my life (26 now) and only males. Had them all around my younger brothers/cousins/sisters despite being asked "Do you want your relatives dead??" by ignoramuses.

However females can get cranky during heat, but downright dangerous? No.

love them bitches

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what they are for. If it's just a family dog it doesn't matter to me. If it's a hunting dog then it really depends on what other dogs it will be working with, because there is nothing worse than two males that won't honor the other when they hit on birds. When it comes to hunting females tend to be more apt to honor than to not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    Humping is the owners fault... You have to be pretty damned submissive to have a dog that humps.
    I really don't care what gender the dog is. Males tend to enjoy a good run more than females in my experience though, so I guess I go with males.
    Have two male cocker spaniels my self.
    Dogs hump as a reaction of stress and a situation they cannot handle. They do not hump because they think they're the boss, such 50's theories have been stomped on time and again. Dogs are pack/family animals, they strive for security and social bonds, not to be "the baws". The usual thing that people do when humped, is that they feel insulted and thus take action, leaving the dog even more stressed and clueless since that action might be a kick, a shove, a "NO!" in screaming voice and everything else from time to time.

My "mentor" had a saying, he's been training dogs for 50 years. "You need to be a good leader for your dog, and a good leader does not constantly fear that the ones he lead will overthrow him. Especially not subjects of a different species.".

I'm a woman weighing less than my dogs and the dogs I handle (48 kg, I'm not that tall) and not once have I been humped, and not once have I used methods including "alpha" rabble or seen my dogs as threats to my status.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2012-04-30 at 09:12 PM.

Female obviously, I don't molest male dogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually I don't care either way, but since both my kids ended up girls and even the parakeet ended up being a girl, next dog is gonna be a dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

No real preference, voted for male though.

Deleted
    Female, I cba with raging dogs/having to show I'm the boss all the time.

My female German Shepherd is the best dog ever. I think because she's a female, she is very protective, and thus makes such a better guard dog at night ( i live in a slightly shady place)

15+ Year Old Account
    females,

their aggression is different and I hate having to deal with alpha male egos... dealing with that as a human is enough complications.

But honestly I do not care as far as a single animal goes. When it comes to two or more... one male is as far as I would like to go.

As long as it doesn't hump my leg, I couldn't care less. I guess just for that reason I'd probably vote female, but I wouldn't not buy a cute male dog just because it's male.

I have had both male and female dogs, and currently have a male and female dog. I love them both equally, but I have noticed that most of the male dogs I have owned have always been more active than the female dogs I have owned. My female will play with me on occasion like if she misses me, but if I try to get down and play with her she just prefers I pet her and give her a scratch behind the ears...maybe the occasional ball toss or two. My male dog likes to pounce on me randomly and run around while I chase him a bit, and you can play tug of war etc. So when it comes to play mates males just seem to be more active...the females I have owned will play but not near as much as the males. Maybe it's just their personality...I know all dogs are unique in their own way. I know it's not the breed because both my male and female are mixed with hounds.

But that aside, if I am sitting on the couch watching a movie or maybe when I am sick I prefer to have the female to keep me company. If I am feeling active I love the male!

EDIT: I'd also like to add that my female dog is more in charge than my male dog. But my husband and I never have a problem with their ego's...the male dog a lot of times gets put in his place by the female though. Like if he is trying to crawl over her while she is sleeping she will bark and let him know not to do it lol. But neither of them have bad attitudes. I trained them well to listen and not disobey.

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    I prefer female dogs because I like to rub their tummies.
    As opposed to male dogs who don't have tummies?

Females all the way, but not just any dog, prefer my welsh collie, I've had mine for 15 years now so shes getting on, the next will be a a welsh border collie too, or a husky or alaskan mullet I think its called,

Dogs that are rat sized? no thanks
    Dogs that are big and take a dump the length of my arm? no thanks

and purley like others have said, I just don't like seeing dogs running around the place with its penis sticking out, or if it like to jump up on you to sit down or sleep your bed next to you, I dont want it rubbing against me personally trivial but still

oh and I mean it about the dog next to me, I wake up most winter morning to find my collie in bed with me, under the blanket because its cold shes like a giant hot water bottle <3

Edit

Also seeing as im getting a Tegu soon, I don't want males trying to be dominant and aggressive with it when its fully grown
    Last edited by Rotted; 2012-04-30 at 09:59 PM.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Males are too out of control and dirty minded, much like humans. Females tend to be cute/calm..ish and clean :P females are usually better looking in my opinion :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    As opposed to male dogs who don't have tummies?
    That depends on if you like touching doggy wee-wees
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Male.

I have a female toy poodle that weighs like 5 lbs and I seriously feel like she's my daughter. Idk y it's different but I'm so much more protective of her than I've ever been with any pet. Although it could just be because she's so little. Not to mention perfect in every way. Super sweet and playful. Thinks she's 10 feet tall when we play but wouldn't hurt a fly. She barks at everything. Pretty sure she's the first girl pet that I've had. She's very clingy. That's just the breed tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixup View Post
    Males are too out of control and dirty minded, much like humans. Females tend to be cute/calm..ish and clean :P females are usually better looking in my opinion :P
    Dunno they are pretty darn annoying when they are in heat lol.

male. For 1 reason only, when a female dog is fertile there always a few dogs (from neighbors or strays) on my door barking or trying to get in when I'm trying to get out. It is annoying as hell. However most the dogs I had in my life were females.

Usually I choose for temperament and most of the time I get rescued dogs and I don't have a large variety of breeds to choose from, them I'll get one with a temperament I can handle (which is by far the most important thing to look for when getting a dog and unfortunately overlooked my the majority of people).

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

Female. I have 4 females right now. While I don't mind male dogs, I love rubbing their bellies, and with the males, their dicks get in the way. That and sometimes I like to use their bellies as a pillow, which having a dick behind my head just feels strange to me.