Stood in the Fire andy_mitchelluk's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

what's the best high end GPU for Diablo 3

ok, so what's the best GPU for Diablo 3 ?

gtx680 2GB
    gtx680 4GB
    gtx690

?

i'm considering gtx680 4GB but maybe will go berserk and buy 690.

go 680, 690 is dual GPU and I dont think D3 makes good use of dual gpu tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    I dont think D3 makes good use of dual gpu tech.
    Correct. Remember, this is a Blizz game. I was able to play it just fine w/ everything maxed on a 4x core Amd 3.2 GHz w/ an old nVidia Geforce 8800 512. Only difference between single-player and multi- was dropping shadows down some. This is not the game that will force you to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Steve View Post
    Correct. Remember, this is a Blizz game. I was able to play it just fine w/ everything maxed on a 4x core Amd 3.2 GHz w/ an old nVidia Geforce 8800 512. Only difference between single-player and multi- was dropping shadows down some. This is not the game that will force you to upgrade.
    Darth makes a fantastic point, everyone I talk to seems to have this idea that they will need to go nuts and buy a 79xx or GTX 6xx series for Diablo 3. It's a great idea to upgrade your gpu in general, but doing so over a hack n slash dungeon crawler isn't a reason. But I would suggest, sure upgrade just to upgrade!

Yeah, it'll run at high fps on ultra on GTX 5xx or HD 69xx series as well.

Meh I run perfectly fine with a intel quad at 3.2 and a ati 4870

If the rest of your pc is the one on your sig you're in dire need of getting a new processor instead of burning 1000$ for a gtx 690 which will simply cause extreme bottlenecking. If not a simple 680 2gb is more than enough for diablo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    If the rest of your pc is the one on your sig you're in dire need of getting a new processor instead of burning 1000$ for a gtx 690 which will simply cause extreme bottlenecking. If not a simple 680 2gb is more than enough for diablo 3.
    I would be inclined to agree with this guy. Take some of the money you'd blow on the GPU and upgrade to a better CPU.

I ran Diablo 3 at 60 FPS (vsync'd) on max settings with a GTX 285 and 3ghz quad core.

Deleted
    Dont go either of them for D3.. its a waste of money, unless you play something els thats really intensive and run either 2560x1600 or a 120hz monitor, its not worth it.

I got a gtx 680, I also have a surround / eyefinity setup and got a single monitor with 120hz for games that dont support surround / eyefinity well ( dont make this into a flame war about frames/ 60hz vs 120hz ect, its getting old )

What I can tell you is, that it runs BF3, skyrim and games like that, at 55-60 frames stable in my eyefinty setup and it performs near between 90 and 120 frames in the same games in a single monitor setup, this is at 1920x1080.

So unless you got a :

- Surround eyefinity setup
    - 120hz monitor and require a constant 90-120 frames
    - a 27" or 30" monitor that runs 2560x1440 or 2560x1600

You dont need it, you should rather go look at the AMD 7870 or wait for the 660ti to arrive at some point, those cards will run Diablo and games like that with out issues and will handle 60 frames most games as well at 1920x1080.

Buy the new midrange cards, such as 7870 / 660ti and buy a i5-2500k or something like that, but this will most likely also require a new Motherboard / ram as well..

Stood in the Fire andy_mitchelluk's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post

it's not my account. it was faster to use it for posting than registering a new one.

my rig is i7 920, 6GB, 120 SSD. and now i only need a GPU and maybe some good 2.1 speakers.

My AMD 6870 ran it well enough, so I think anything you are thinking about is way overboard. I was able to turn all settings up and get frame rates consistently above 45-55. That's plenty enough for me. As others have said, you need other upgrades more than a vid card.

Deleted
    You don't need such a powerful machine to run D3, to be honest futureproofing is often a big waste of money.

My ~900$ machine runs D3 with a Powercolor HD 6950 on max without any problems, neither I have any problems with BF3, MW3 and other "bigshot" games.

I don't know why you're thinking about getting a 680/690 for D3, an older gaming machine i gave to my brother in law (gtx 460, i5-2500k) with slight overclocking played the beta maxed out with 60+ FPS (vsync always on)

So to be honest a 560ti would last you a year or more depending on monitor resolution and game settings and it will certainly run D3 for a long time to come..

I think your best bet would be to reinvest some of the money you have to buy a 690 into better components, mobo/ram/cpu/ssd/cooling solutions etc
    Last edited by Lolsteak; 2012-05-01 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

I have ati4850, which is really old (3-4 years probably?) and I ran the game smooth on ultra high. On some occasions, probably once per hour I was getting slight lag when there were aloooot of mobs and 5 players doing tons of spells. So I don't see any reason going crazy and buying top video card for Diablo.