What can you tell me about seriously powerful PC audio?

So I have a 2.1 set with 100 watt woofer. I figured it was good enough for what would be happening on my PC. So I was just playing some trance and managed to shake something off my wall shelf. Suddenly I was infused with this desire to have more. MOoooarrrr

Now I want too much. I imagine to achieve this I will need both a sound card and a huge giant expensive overly powerful sound system. I want that, but I don't know jack about it.

So anyone have an amazing in-door PC system? Or how do I get into this world? For example I can wade through computer parts pretty well and figure out what I want, but how do I even begin to research and seek out powerful in-door audio like this? Thanks guys.

Deleted
    Welll.... im using an old (1979..) 300w stereo amplifier... with 2 old JBL loudspeakers, and one 10" JBL subwoofer.. 300 RMS and 1200W peak.
    just connected from the amplifier to PC with a normal rca wire
    http://www.thewriterscoin.com/wp-con...wire_audio.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_actually View Post
    So I was just playing some trance and managed to shake something off my wall shelf.
    Are you my neighbor?!?!?!?

lol, but seriously, please tell me you don't live in an apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    Are you my neighbor?!?!?!?

lol, but seriously, please tell me you don't live in an apartment.
    Duplex, lololo. But seriously 100W is shit compared to what it could be. What I did today was like a speck of sugar on the tongue, I have a ways to go to reach over load! I want mooooarrrrrr.

Well computer speakers are pretty tiny compared to traditional speakers. If you want the best PC speakers around my personal favorite we're Klipsch 5.1 Promedias with dual 8" subs.

Sounds cards, without going over the top with professional grade stuff, are more than capable of decoding and encoding just about anything a source material is capable of throwing at it. They usually have optical outs or an SPDIF output. Basically, unless you go with a "PC speaker system" you're going to want to utilize one of these outs and hook up a receiver of some kind. Once you have a receiver hooked up the possibilities and the price tags are endless.

---------- Post added 2012-05-01 at 04:31 PM ----------

I realize I didn't even really answer your question. I would start with google honestly. Learn the basics of connecting audio. Then delve into encoding and decoding signals so you'll know what your hardware needs to do based on your inputs. After that I would head to your local audio store where you can listen to some speakers. Best Buy would work for a beginner. The main idea is to find out how you like your sound. Different amplification processes and woofer technology makes for small variations in sound. Once you develop a "clean ear" you'll start to hear subtle differences in the sound. Then it's just personal preference.

If you're looking for advice for a project I would include things such as :

1) the amount of money you want to spend
    2) the size of the room and space you have available
    3) what inputs you plan on using (anything other than PC sound?)

There are quite a few more things we should know but that's a start.

A good start at a fairly good price is something like:

- Onkyo receiver
    - Polk Monitor speakers
    - Bic F12 sub
    - Asus soundcard

With that setup, you are in a really good spot for a nice sound system. Stay away from a HTIB. You can get the sub a little bit later if money is an issue. You also can get just the 2 front speakers and the front mid, forgoing the back speakers too, if you want to save some money.

Plus, this setup is a great all around system, not just solely for a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_actually View Post
    Duplex
    NOOOOOOOOOOO, i feel so sorry for your neighbors

Good luck in your pursuit, but i can not in good conscience help you annoy your neighbors.
    Last edited by Youvegotfail; 2012-05-01 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOO, i feel so sorry for your neighbors

Good luck in your pursuit, but i can not in good conscience help you annoy your neighbors.
    I only play music when they're at work/school