10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia

American presidential elections

Hello everyone.

First of all i should say that i'm not American. If you're thinking then why would i care about America or the elections, the answer is because America is (regardless of what "foreigners" would like) the leading country in the world at... well, pretty much everything except particle physics.

The way it seems to a non American (at least to me and my friends) is that the president basically is the centre of the politics of America. This would mean (and it often does seem that way to us) that the views of the people often reflect the views of the president. And the views of America, in the end, change the world.

So, basically, i'm wondering, who seems to be the most likely to win the elections at this moment?

Hard to tell for the republican candidate but Barack Obama will probably be re-elected.

There are two stickied threads for this. As it stands they're still picking a Republican Candidate. Obama being incumbent president will run again. Romney seems most likely to be the Republican Candidate. Who will win between those two is pretty contentious, from a non American point of view, Obama is far better than Romney. Americans however might turn around and shock us by picking him (Romney), it really depends how well they campaign and how much mud they can make stick.

p.s. The President doesn't have the power most people attribute to him, he's more like the first person people blame when things go wrong. This President in particulair has recieved a lot of flack from Republicans whose sole aim is to make sure he doesn't have a second term, it's not exactly reflective of him as a President.

I'm going to go ahead and close this. As Shadowmelded pointed out, we have a couple dedicated threads for this type of discussion already. Feel free to ask there