Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Elementium Monstrosity: Still the hardest fight of the expansion?

It may just have been because I had never done it or even tried it on heroic before (I did not start playing again til october really) but we recently went in and did all of heroic BoT for a dragonslayer sell, and I can honestly say that the council was by far the hardest raid boss I have seen this expansion. Even heroic spine was nowhere near this pre-nerf! If we did not over-gear it like crazy, I do not think we would have even killed it to be honest.

Am I just blowing it out of proportion because I had never even seen a video of the fight before and was not sure what to expect? I got the gravity crush thing both times, so healing was just crazy (I was on my holy paladin main) We did one shot it, but every single person in the raid but the one we were selling it to was 403ilvl+, which as you know is quite a bit higher then the loot it even drops.

Pre-nerf rag was quite difficult as well I hear (I was not there for the guilds kill, as I was not raiding yet at that point) so that may beat it out :P

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pre-nerfed maybe when melee could of been hit by the lightning until Paragon if I remember correctly killed it with no melee in there and released a statement, After that statement he was nerfed in terms of the lightning thing. However yes

It was a very very intense / Fight but I will compare it to Twin purple dragon thingies tied to Cho'gall Pre-nerfed

No, just no. You can easily outgear it and zerg it before the healing becomes half difficult.
    When it was relevant content... I don't know, it was definetely one of the hardest encounters they put out there (atleast on 25man, you can't compare 10man to this fight because there's such a drastic difference in healing and dps requirments), but I think Prenerf Heroic Rag was a lot harder, as was pre nerf 25 man al'akir.

Quote Originally Posted by hasslehoof View Post
    No, just no. You can easily outgear it and zerg it before the healing becomes half difficult.
    When it was relevant content... I don't know, it was definetely one of the hardest encounters they put out there (atleast on 25man, you can't compare 10man to this fight because there's such a drastic difference in healing and dps requirments), but I think Prenerf Heroic Rag was a lot harder, as was pre nerf 25 man al'akir.

The problem may have been the gravity crush getting me both times, and we were two healing it, but our dps were not realy trying to be seperate :P maybe it was just poorly executed, making it seem a lot harder.

And I have only done 10 mans on heroic, so I know nothing of 25 mans other then what friends that do tell me!

Ascendant Council heroic took like 3-4 pulls after we went back to clear the remaining t11 heroic soon after Firelands came out; Sinestra on the other hand probably took closer to couple dozen.
    So yeah AC might have been one of the hardest heroic when it was current, but it was very easily outgeared (more so than some others) afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    Ascendant Council heroic took like 3-4 pulls after we went back to clear the remaining t11 heroic soon after Firelands came out; Sinestra on the other hand probably took closer to couple dozen.
    So yeah AC might have been one of the hardest heroic when it was current, but it was very easily outgeared (more so than some others) afterwards...
    This. I am not sure how anyone with DS BiS gear could even notice the nuances of a fight like Ascendant Council, since with current gear every mechanic outside of the orbs in phase 2 can be completely ignored.

Even the orbs can be ignored with enough gear/good enough healers now.. my group went back to get AC down and got hit by the orbs 3x because they refused to kite making the healers cry at every opportunity but we still one shot it. As for when it was current, if you didn't know fight mechanics and have everyone paying attention you were dead, one person standing in the wrong spot would wipe the entire group and we all know how much fun that is.

Deleted
    We did it two days ago for the first time,we basically ignored every mechanic except the frost orb

Went back to do it for the first time, we had some people with, well shit play lol, they couldn't kite the frost orbs. So we just popped hero in the 2nd phase, nuked only 1, ignored the whole "getting the health equal" thing, and just burned through phase 3 with the overgearing. I quickly read Chogal hc tactics and just explained midfight, oneshot it. It's a little annoying to have the 2nd last boss be harder than the last (sinestra not included) again this tier with spine + madness. I'd prefer a proper scaling of the difficulty depending on how far you get in. On 25s this tier it was a little annoying at first, killed Morchok ->Hagara->Ultraxion ->Yorsahj->Zonozz. Was just a little tricky allotting time on the bosses when we were actually progressing, for instance attempting Yorsahj but still trying to leave time for hagara and ultraxion hcs back when they weren't on farm right away. I like the peace of mind of progressing on a hardmode fight knowing all you have left is turn it on normal and clear the end, which takes no time at all, makes for nicer planning.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Killed it after one night of progress in Tier 11. Alot easier than Cho'gall. People just playing bad make the fight hard, if your raid is competent, it's easy.
    Leegion - Turalyon

Stopped raiding in MOP. Pugging Legion!

I think a lot more guilds had more trouble with this fight in the first tier compared to cho'gall.

Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    just burned through phase 3 with the overgearing. I quickly read Chogal hc tactics and just explained midfight, oneshot it. It's a little annoying to have the 2nd last boss be harder than the last (sinestra not included).
    You can't determine difficulty based off outgearing content by 2 tiers. What made cho'gall hard was the splitting of dps, the control of the elementals health, the organzing and having the raid cds, the balance of dps on the bloods and on him to beat the enrage and the dps in p2. The reason people killed Cho'gall before council was because a. more and better loot and b. to unlock Sinestra no one gave a crap about council if they weren't a top 100 world guild. Spine and Madness....well thats a different story, however at the same time they are both deathwing so technically one encounter.

Al'akir was worse :<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Alcatraz- View Post
    Pre-nerfed maybe when melee could of been hit by the lightning until Paragon if I remember correctly killed it with no melee in there and released a statement, After that statement he was nerfed in terms of the lightning thing. However yes

It was a very very intense / Fight but I will compare it to Twin purple dragon thingies tied to Cho'gall Pre-nerfed
    You are mistaking their statement for al akir

Quote Originally Posted by narzhul View Post
    Nope, Council was almost impossible pre-nerf with more than a handful of melee, the Chain Lightning in P3 was chaining to melee, killing them instantly. Paragons world first kill of Council was with 2-3 melee if I remember correctly, maybe not even that.

The nerf came with only allowing the Chain Lightning to hit ranged enemies, as long as there are enough standing out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by narzhul View Post
    Well, aside from them both having lightning, no.

AC Heroic had discharge that would chain onto any melee, meaning they'd naturally take a shit ton more damage than anyone else. That's why their very first AC kill, as I remember, had only 1-2 melee, if any at all. I can't remember. It was nerfed shortly after that.

Al'akir also was nerfed as well, his Lightning Strike used to be a killer on Heroic.

Anyways, we went back into it and with current gear levels, it seems to be the hardest fight in there atm, since you at least have to sort of follow tactics. V&T can just simply be zerged now without even sending anyone into the Twilight Realm. AC without adequate CDs, Frost Orbs will still fuck you up if they aren't done correctly. Either way, we avoided a lot of them by just zerging Terrestra down and dealing with the extra 6 million in Phase 3. Wasn't a huge deal. Took us maybe 8 wipes since we had some people who had never saw it, not even on normal.

Cho'gall, however...he went down in 1 attempt after 2 Adherents. I remember struggling to push him after he created the 5th one on Heroic. Good times.
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2012-04-30 at 03:27 PM.

Deleted
    Didn't attempt it when it was recent, but me and a few socials/new recruits as well as a very small handful of our regular raiders went in last week and 2 shotted it without any issues. The last phase was close and I think we had 3 deaths, but I wouldn't say it was a difficult feat.

We had more issues with Sinestra, Omnotron and Maloriak for a comparison.

tl;dr
    While outgearing it, we had more issues with other bosses. Pre-nerf I have no idea.

Deleted
    at that tier the 1st time you kill it, yeah id say it was, harder than chogall at least

Was clearing old heroics in tens with my guild, we're in BiS normal DS gear, with little/no heroic gear. Phase 2 had us for 2-3 days of attempts on this boss, due to the two-three people in the raid who apparently have no awareness. Hardest heroic we've done in first tier or firelands, harder even than the dragonsoul heroics we've done now. Heroic cho'gall went down in two pulls.

when our guild went through BoT a few weeks ago we just set it to normal for AC, didn't even want to bother with heroic.
    pretty funny on normal, we just tanked the ooze in the center and didn't move it all and all the melee just sat in the puddle. did hardly any damage.