Deleted

Xbox live - who is the host?

I've always wondered, when you play games on Xbox live, and you join a game, is it true that one of the players is the host? and if so they are using their bandwidth, so IF this is true, why are they charging you to play if your not using their bandwidth? Do they host dedicated game servers?

What would you say if they had an Xbox 'premium' where when you played on their hosted servers and they kept silver for user hosted?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I was under the impression they charged you the "premium fee" to maintain the account, achievements and the like, not to host content that they already charge for.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
    I've always wondered, when you play games on Xbox live, and you join a game, is it true that one of the players is the host? and if so they are using their bandwidth, so IF this is true, why are they charging you to play if your not using their bandwidth? Do they host dedicated game servers?

What would you say if they had an Xbox 'premium' where when you played on their hosted servers and they kept silver for user hosted?
    It entirely depends on the game and what the developers of said game choose to do. For example Gears of War uses the player to host matches, hence why back in gears 1&2 host advantage was a pretty big deal. On the other hand games such as CoD and Battlefield are hosted by Activision and EA respectively.

Microsoft have nothing to do with hosting game servers (Unless it is a Microsoft Studios game ofc) it is up to the developers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    It entirely depends on the game and what the developers of said game choose to do. For example Gears of War uses the player to host matches, hence why back in gears 1&2 host advantage was a pretty big deal. On the other hand games such as CoD and Battlefield are hosted by Activision and EA respectively.

Microsoft have nothing to do with hosting game servers (Unless it is a Microsoft Studios game ofc) it is up to the developers.
    Thanks for the info, I'm not a big console gamer.

10+ Year Old Account

Isn't Call of Duty P2P?
    I know Battlefield have dedicated servers either by them or 3rd parties.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah COD games use hosts.

10+ Year Old Account

The cod games uses p2p to, that's why theres a big deal with host advantage in CoD4 WaW and Mw2
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad they started with the whole P2P thing in Cod6 on PC, worked great with dedicated all the way to 5.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Danjal View Post

It depends on the game, Different games use different host configurations, some games are hosted entirely off the devs servers some are hosted off of MS's servers, some are hosted off of the players servers.