Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What router do you use?

Like the title says what routers are you guys using and how well do you like it. At the moment I'm using a Belkin N750 and to be honest it sucks. When ever I try to download large files from the internet (like the MoP beta for example) it frequently disconnects and I'm constantly rebooting the router. Calling tech support is like stabbing your eyes with pencils. I have multiple tickets in about this problem and every time I call they always go over the same stuff the last person told me to do to try to fix the problem (very frustrating..it feels like the are just reading prompts and really have no idea how to fix the problem).
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series | EVGA GTX 780SC with ACX cooler| Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung 840 256GB| Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB |Western Digital 1 TB Black | CM Hyper 212 Evo (with a push/pull config) | Fractal Design Arc Midi | SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze | Corsair K60 | Razor Naga |JVC HARX900 | BenQ RL2455 | Samsung Syncmaster S24B300

Deleted
    The one my ISP gave me.

I had some dc issues as well, after days of calling and several engineers coming over, they finally got tired of me and sent a new one.
    Had no need to contact them since

Routers surprisingly do make a huge difference.

I remember back at the start of WOTLK I kept getting disconnecting in WoW during raids @ peak time. I'd get it anytime we'd enter combat in Naxx 25. I thought it was just because it was the holidays & peak time and my ISP was messed up. After a few weeks of this I thought....mmm hey...maybe it's my router? It's like 5 years old now, maybe I should buy a new one?

The problem went away the second I installed the new router (a D-Link DIR-600)

The internet was fine for downloading/webbrowsing....it was just on WoW with streaming all that combat log during fights...for some reason my old router couldn't handle it.

It wasn't random or a coincidence either. I made sure it wasn't by plugging back in the old router...and the issues propped up again...put the new router back on and it worked properly.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    1) It's called a gateway, not a router.

2) I use a Microsoft ISA2006 server running on my old Intel Core2 Duo E8400 with 4GiB of RAM, dual Intel Pro1000CT cards, and a 60GB Vertex 2.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    A-LINK adsl2+ modem with 11N WLAN

10+ Year Old Account
    i have PFSense

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    eh, not quite, a gateway is your access point to an outside network, a router is a device that routes traffic between networks, they are both the same device most of the time, but not always, they can also be a bridge

where it gets confusing is the difference between a layer 3 switch and a router

Belkin Gaming Router. $72. Had it for a few years, runs like a champ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Netgear DG834G. Got it with my crappy net 6 years ago, runs very well and I've never had a dc problem. Very stable, quite love it for being so good to me for so many years. <3

*touchwood*
    Last edited by Hezron; 2012-05-02 at 06:29 PM.

Have a D-Link DGL-4500 'gaming' router. Still works like a champ. Well, mostly, LAN works great, wireless died (signal is failing to broadcast, even hard typing it in and it won't connect). Regardless, I love the router. Sadly, since I got Verizon Fios and they use MoCA, I have to use their router as the primary.

I had bought a Netgear N900 (the newest one) and it was absolute trash. Just horrible. Wireless kept dropping out, LAN kept resetting. Plus, their interface is horrid. My DLink is quite easy to use and has all the settings I need/want.

I have also had experiences with Linksys, and while decent (from a out of the box setup, *not* DD-WRT) I prefer the DLink routers more.

Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    I had bought a Netgear N900 (the newest one) and it was absolute trash. Just horrible. Wireless kept dropping out, LAN kept resetting. Plus, their interface is horrid. My DLink is quite easy to use and has all the settings I need/want.
    Yea I bought the WNDR-3700(N600) a year ago and it just kept giving me problems with the firmware and when I tried DD-WRT; returned it for an Airport Extreme and it's pretty much been perfect through multiple walls and while I'm on the 5GHz band.
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    Have a D-Link DGL-4500 'gaming' router. Still works like a champ. Well, mostly, LAN works great, wireless died (signal is failing to broadcast, even hard typing it in and it won't connect). Regardless, I love the router. Sadly, since I got Verizon Fios and they use MoCA, I have to use their router as the primary.

I have also had experiences with Linksys, and while decent (from a out of the box setup, *not* DD-WRT) I prefer the DLink routers more.
    Apparently if you set your FiOS up so that it goes over Ethernet and not coax, you can use your own router for Internet traffic and then use the Verizon provided router to support FiOS TV. I am actually going to try it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie View Post
    returned it for an Airport Extreme and it's pretty much been perfect through multiple walls and while I'm on the 5GHz band.
    I was thinking of getting an Airport Extreme. Heard they were quite good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Perderder View Post
    Apparently if you set your FiOS up so that it goes over Ethernet and not coax, you can use your own router for Internet traffic and then use the Verizon provided router to support FiOS TV. I am actually going to try it tonight.
    Yeah, there's multiple ways of doing it, none of which gets me exactly the way I would like mine to be set up. The only possible way that I see it working the way I want it to work is by getting a second IP from Verizon (which is not going to happen). This might be of use to you if you plan on going that way:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Virgin Media SuperHub (Modem & Router combined). VM

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wirel...specifications

Does the job fine, no issues with it myself. Wireless signal is fine (reaches diagonally opposite side of the house, and it's a fairly large house). Depending on the server that i'm contacted, I can get the full 100mbit/s from my service via ethernet cable...
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post

2) I use a Microsoft ISA2006 server running on my old Intel Core2 Duo E8400 with 4GiB of RAM, dual Intel Pro1000CT cards, and a 60GB Vertex 2.
    A router is a gateway sir. They are both the same thing.
    Now if you were trying to differentiate a real router from the home "router" that's a different story, but what you said is still incorrect no matter how you look at it.

15+ Year Old Account
    A router is a gateway sir. They are both the same thing.
    No, they aren't.

That's like saying a hub and a switch are the same thing, except worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    eh, not quite, a gateway is your access point to an outside network, a router is a device that routes traffic between networks, they are both the same device most of the time, but not always, they can also be a bridge
    What are you talking about?

Your home "router" doesn't just move traffic between two networks. You can set it up to perform this function, but the most important and significant function that it performs is NAT and it is therefore a "NAT gateway". It should be noted that -- from a strictly network layer perspective -- NAT gateways do not route traffic between networks. This is because the network layer -- i.e. layer 3 -- addresses used by the outside and the inside are different. The outside does not identify your gateway as 192.168.1.1, or your computer as 192.168.1.100, that is an abstraction that the NAT gateway creates.

where it gets confusing is the difference between a layer 3 switch and a router
    That's not confusing. From a functionality point-of-view they're the same thing. From a hardware point-of-view one uses a general purpose microprocessor (a router) and another uses silicon specifically designed for the purpose (a layer 3 switch).

10+ Year Old Account
    does anybody really give a shit if it's a router or a gateway? so long as it works

i use a BT home hub (version 2 i think), never had problems with the router, but i did have a couple problems with my ip profile a couple month back

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    does anybody really give a shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    i use a [...] hub
    Well very apparently you do not.

Deleted
    I use Linksys WAG54G2 (Cisco) and its very good, no problem at all

15+ Year Old Account
    i have PFSense
    What kind of hardware are you running it on?