Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Favorite Keybinds for D3

Being a proper typist, I've always liked to keep my left hand on A-S-D-F, and have customized my games to cater to this. The number of keybinds required for Diablo3 is less than games like WoW. There are only 9 I can think of that require quick reaction time, and two of those are forced to be on your left and right mouse buttons. So coming up with something close to optimal for reaction time seemed pretty easy. Here's what I'm thinking after playing all 5 classes to 13 in the stress test:

F - Stop key. A little annoying this is even necessary, the default is SHIFT. But since Blizzard won't let you unbind move from your left mouse button, I need one of my best keybinds for this. I'm using it all the time. If you play a ranged class like Wiz or WD you'll be using your stop key a lot so you don't accidentally miss click and move toward the target rather than cast your primary ability. A bad click could mean disaster in Hardcore mode.

D - Move key. I preferred moving with the move key rather than the left click. You don't need to worry about accidentally attacking someone rather than moving (see above about Stop key). Downside is my D finger gets sore after a few hours of playing.

Ability Keybinds:
    Left Mouse, Right Mouse, S, A, E, Q
    Have not really settled on E and Q for last two ability keybinds, but they seem to work best while holding down F.

Use Potion - W
    Toggle Items on Ground - V

Can't really think of any other keybinds I needed to use very often or with quick reaction time during the beta.

Deleted
    I pretty much liked the key binds from the beta ... they are alot like D2 ...
    In D2 i used to only rebind "Show Items" from ALT to SPACE ... but guess i'll leave it this time as SPACE is needed for canceling Audio Commentary

Luckily I have a G700 Mouse which offers the exact amount of Buttons i need

So i have my abilities on:

Left Mouse, Right Mouse, G8, G9, G10 (all those Gs are clickable with the Left Mouse finger) as well as G6 and G7 (clickable by thumb).
    G4 i need for TeamSpeak as usual and G5, don't know yet ...

I'll leave "Stand Still" on SHIFT and "Show Items" on Alt ...

so i guess i'll be pretty set

Having a Razer Naga for this game is great. I don't even have to use the keyboard.

Personally, I think you're setup is horrible and would never work for me. I'll stick with defaults as it's the same buttons I am used to pressing in D2, some of them just do different things.

If I were interested in a setup like you are describing though, I would use E for move, D for stop then you can have A, S, F and G for your abilities, all very easy to press while holding E. W could still be potion but put show items on R.

Deleted
    I'll be using default bind with forced move bound to mouse 5(or 4, whichever was the closer to thumb). Worked fine in beta.

I use E for move, Space for stop, wrsf for actions, z for show items, c for inventory, d to skip, q for quests, a for potions and mouse 4 for map.

Ever since my UT99 days I've used esdf for normal movement, guess my hand likes that because even when I'm just typing I have my pinky between shift and z, ring finger on s, middle on e and index finger on f with thumb on space.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-05-03 at 05:22 PM.

umm, weird separated double post, sorry.
    Last edited by Lathais; 2012-05-03 at 05:25 PM.

I have a naga, but i'll probabily use the keyboard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have all abilities mapped to a naga, the only thing on the keyboard I need to play diablo, is the left shift button.

QWER instead of 1234, potion on 1. Makes me feel comfortable after playing League of Legends. Rest is default.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm thinking of going with Lmouse, Rmouse, W, A, S, D and Q for potions. Oh, and Shift for stop.

Moving 1234 to QWER with potions at D

Also moving the force standstill from left shift to spacebar. It's my setup for LoL (spacebar being my toggle lock on/off)

15+ Year Old Account
    left mouse, right mouse, 2, 3, 4, q. 5 for potions. I think i might try moving shift to one of the mouse's thumb buttons. My pinky got kinda tired in during the beta. I never liked hitting 1 in wow. I just always left auto attack there. had 1-9,q,w,e,a,s,d,z,x and shift all bound, and moved with the mouse in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If I were interested in a setup like you are describing though, I would use E for move, D for stop then you can have A, S, F and G for your abilities, all very easy to press while holding E. W could still be potion but put show items on R.
    This may be worth a try with a small change:

E and D for move and stop as you say.

F, G, R, T for the 4 keymapped abilities, all pressed with your index finger.
    F and G for ranged and other attacks that would usually need D pressed.
    R and T for defensive CDs that could be used while moving.
    W for potions.
    And A, S, and Q for whatever else I decide I need.
    The whole bottom row of Z, X, C, V, B would also be available, probably for common out-of-combat tasks.

I tried using a Naga with 16 mouse buttons on the side, but my thumb was just too fat and not agile enough.

I need to find some good finger padding for my index and third digit before May 15th!!
    Last edited by medloh; 2012-05-04 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by medloh View Post
    This may be worth a try with a small change:

E and D for move and stop as you say.

F, G, R, T for the 4 keymapped abilities, all pressed with your index finger.
    F and G for ranged and other attacks that would usually need D pressed.
    R and T for defensive CDs that could be used while moving.
    W for potions.
    And A, S, and Q for whatever else I decide I need.
    The whole bottom row of Z, X, C, V, B would also be available, probably for common out-of-combat tasks.

I tried using a Naga with 16 mouse buttons on the side, but my thumb was just too fat and not agile enough.

I need to find some good finger padding for my index and third digit before May 15th!!
    That's how I play everything. esdf opens up more binds, suppose rdfg would be even better.

r
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    That's how I play everything. esdf opens up more binds, suppose rdfg would be even better.
    Maybe, but ESDF puts fingers in the proper home hey positions so is more natural. Plus if you're like me, your pointer is much more flexible than your pinky and I wouldn't want to have too many things reliant on my pinky.

QWER, space to stop, and scroll up for potions. Feels very natural and everything is easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    r

Maybe, but ESDF puts fingers in the proper home hey positions so is more natural. Plus if you're like me, your pointer is much more flexible than your pinky and I wouldn't want to have too many things reliant on my pinky.
    Oh I agree I feel more comfortable with esdf and have used it as long as I can remember(Q2 I think). I'm just saying my same reasoning for going to esdf would apply to rdfg. It was probably the home row thing and the fact that I only played FPS games and didn't need many binds.

I play with a k90 keyboard and I use the g8-g9 keys and down to g17-18.(with pinky,not in diablo of course) So I suppose I wouldn't gain as much these days switching to rdfg.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-05-10 at 09:53 PM.

A lot of these keybindings people are using confuses me... for combat you only need 6 keybinds, I don't see why anyone would use keys you have to reach for.

Five accessible keys and your scroll wheel is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    A lot of these keybindings people are using confuses me... for combat you only need 6 keybinds, I don't see why anyone would use keys you have to reach for.

Five accessible keys and your scroll wheel is all you need.
    You only need 6 keybinds for abilities, then potions, if you're ranged you def need stop bound somewhere, if you don't you're doing it wrong.