Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    Pretty much every sub-based MMO I've played (WoW and SWToR included) worked exactly like this. Why should this be any different?
    They did not run an "authorization check" when you set up your subscription. Yes, you had to put your CC info in, but there was nothing done until the first 30 days were up.

This is actually the first that I've heard of a company running an authorization check like this before the first months subscription time ended. Because I mean...why do they need to authorize it if they aren't going to be billing you yet? They can authorize it after the free first month, you know, when you're billed...

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They did not run an "authorization check" when you set up your subscription. Yes, you had to put your CC info in, but there was nothing done until the first 30 days were up.

This is actually the first that I've heard of a company running an authorization check like this before the first months subscription time ended. Because I mean...why do they need to authorize it if they aren't going to be billing you yet? They can authorize it after the free first month, you know, when you're billed...
    I don't know about the authorization check (haven't activated my ESO acc yet), however SWTOR did charge me like 0.1 euros when I first created my account.

I don't know about the authorization check (haven't activated my ESO acc yet), however SWTOR did charge me like 0.1 euros when I first created my account.
    So did Rift and WoW back in the day. It isn't a "first" by any means, it is a "first" in terms of people hearing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by c0da View Post
    So did Rift and WoW back in the day.
    Rift I haven't played, but WoW I was 15 at the time so no CC, so I had to buy a Game Card (aka full month sub).

And as it is evident from my screenshot they are trying to charge me FIFTEEN dollars just to be able to buy a $65 game. I have no words to describe this.

At least since 2010 WoW does not require any credit card (and probably never did in EU region as non-refundable payment systems were available there).

So did Rift and WoW back in the day. It isn't a "first" by any means, it is a "first" in terms of people hearing about it.
    I do not remember either game charging me anything when I first started playing them. Granted, my memory of when I started playing WoW isn't great so it's absolutely possible that it was there, but I don't remember it. I feel like that's the kind of thing I would have remembered.

Seriously though, of all the MMO's I've played in the past decade I can't think of a single one that ran an authorization check upon entering payment information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    And as it is evident from my screenshot they are trying to charge me FIFTEEN dollars just to be able to buy a $65 game. I have no words to describe this.
    Obviously they aren't going to charge you for the "free" month. But if you feel like they "stole" from you, you should just ask for a refund and cancel your account.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not remember either game charging me anything when I first started playing them. Granted, my memory of when I started playing WoW isn't great so it's absolutely possible that it was there, but I don't remember it. I feel like that's the kind of thing I would have remembered.

Seriously though, of all the MMO's I've played in the past decade I can't think of a single one that ran an authorization check upon entering payment information.
    How about the most recent subscription game? You might have not notice it, but it is the norm.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/67805...eborn/67215260

Swtor did it, Wow used to do it, apparently Final Fantasy used to as well. I think this is just compaining for the sake of complaining at this point.

Rift I haven't played, but WoW I was 15 at the time so no CC, so I had to buy a Game Card (aka full month sub).
    I subscribed with a CC on the day of vanilla WoW's release. They didn't charge me until after the free month.

What they are doing is utter bullshit and I hope heads roll over this. They probably won't, though.

Quote Originally Posted by vetinari View Post
    What they are doing is utter bullshit and I hope heads roll over this. They probably won't, though.
    They aren't charging anything. It is an authorization that goes away. Just like every other subscription MMO in the history of MMOs has done.

They aren't charging anything. It is an authorization that goes away. Just like every other subscription MMO in the history of MMOs has done.
    Damn, you are faster :P

So long story short: You use a CC, you get an authorization that goes away. You use Paysafe/ Webmoney/Whatever... you have to pay for a month of sub. This is pretty much industry standard (as explained above). The only strange thing that's happening is the authorization amount is the same as the sub price. Other games just charge 0.01$ instead.

The only strange thing that's happening is the authorization amount is the same as the sub price. Other games just charge 0.01$ instead.
    WoW and Rift used 1 dollar. Looks like FFXIV also did the same.

WoW and Rift used 1 dollar. Looks like FFXIV also did the same.
    Yeah the 0.01 was SWTOR and the amount is stuck in my mind now

Deleted
    You know people, if you don't have $15 on your account to pay for the subscription of a game you've paid $40 to buy, then I don't think you're managing your finances adequately, nor should you be buying games like this. Instead you should spend your last remaining few pennies on food. Also, if you have the money, but just bought the game for one month of playing, then let them run the charge and it'll come back to you in 2-3 bank days, a week at most, and then cancel your subscription, uninstall the game, throw out the physical copy if you bought one, and never post in this thread again.

This is all just people being faced with something unprecedented (in that the amount is the full subscription fee) and throwing a hissy fit because of it. It's not a problem. If it's a problem for you, then perhaps you should take a good hard look at your life, and realize how good you have things.

Capitalists and their undying unwavering lust for a few measly pennies... I just don't get it.

This is pretty much industry standard (as explained above).
    And yet no leading MMOs do that except this one.

On brighter side, people cannot fish due to a bug which was reported in September 2013, and players are able to crash the game server just by playing in a certain 4-rd tier zone. 'Thousands' of beta testers, my a....

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2014-04-04 at 06:43 AM.

Why this Tackhisis guy has to come every week or so just to talk shit about ESO, its really annoying to say the least. We have just 1 thread, can we have a fun environnement where we can talk about the game we love without having to deal with that kind of person? (Doesnt mean we cant critic the game, I meant flamming for the sake of flamming)

With that beeing said, I dont remember for WoW, but I clearly remember the last 3 MMOs I subbed doing the same thing as ESO is doing (FF14, Swtor, Rift) at their launch.To me its just normal, I dont see the big deal in there. You can always cancel your sub and wont have to pay a dime while still playing your 30 days free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    Why this Tackhisis guy has to come every week or so just to talk shit about ESO, its really annoying to say the least. We have just 1 thread, can we have a fun environnement where we can talk about the game we love without having to deal with that kind of person? (Doesnt mean we cant critic the game, I meant flamming for the sake of flamming)

With that beeing said, I dont remember for WoW, but I clearly remember the last 3 MMOs I subbed doing the same thing as ESO is doing (FF14, Swtor, Rift) at their launch.To me its just normal, I dont see the big deal in there. You can always cancel your sub and wont have to pay a dime while still playing your 30 days free.
    The only problem I have is it checking for 14.99 instead of .01 or 1.00 as most do. I don't use CCs. I use paypal for anything online and only add money to it at the end of the month (my way of not blowing money). Zenimax can't authorize my Paypal because I don't have 14.99 on it. So after the early access ends I'll have to wait till the end of the month to play even though I have a free month sitting there doing nothing but collecting dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    I don't understand why he even bought the game after complaining about it for months? Makes no sense.

A lot of people don't notice it because it is charge and then goes away. I haven't set up my subscription yet because I haven't put my key in yet, but it should be 1 dollar, not sure why it is $15 like people are stating, even though even the $15 is temporary, they should only do $1 dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    10$ says that half the ESO community will come running back to WoW because Zenimax just can't launch properly; the other half with run back before the end of the month.

Please post productively and don't post flamebait. Infracted. -Edge
    Nope. Most of the ones that "left" WoW for TESO are '"first timers". I was one of them when Rift was being hyped. This behavior has become quite the norm and there is nothing wrong with it.

This time around as both a longtime Elder Scrolls fan and recently returned Wow'er, I am choosing to play both games. I still spend quite a bit of time on my toons that I am gearing up for SoO, although I am taking my time leveling my main in TESO. Elder Scrolls games are meant to be played differently, the reward lies not in getting geared up as quickly as possible but in taking your time and exploring the world around you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    And yet no leading MMOs do that except this one.

On brighter side, people cannot fish due to a bug which was reported in September 2013, and players are able to crash the game server just by playing in a certain 4-rd tier zone. 'Thousands' of beta testers, my a....

Please post productively. Infracted. -Edge
    I haven't even heard of these issues before... but congratulations for making yourself look funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    10$ says that half the ESO community will come running back to WoW because Zenimax just can't launch properly; the other half with run back before the end of the month.

Please post productively and don't post flamebait. Infracted. -Edge
    Maybe. I'm sure that WoW will eventually pull me back... but its not happening anytime soon. WoW, in my opinion, has lost its whole journey. Its lost its very soul. I have to say, I was kinda hyped at Blizzcon, but I should have expected that what they said were nothing but lies to generate an uber-hype for the fanboys. WoD is barely in its Alpha stage and the Beta is nowhere in sight. A company that cares about their shareholders, not its customers.

ESO, on the other hand... havent been excited like this in a long while.

Now go back to praising Blizzard.