There are some interesting encounters in GW2 but they are few and far between. It's not really a result of not having the trinity but the designers making the encounters. The trinity just provides more structure and is easier for developers to design encounters due to less chaos.

Anyway, it's not the trinity or lack of trinity that determines if an encounter is interesting or not.

Hopefully TESO won't be all about "10 vs. 1 big bad giant". I really like the idea of more of an all out PvE war, with several strong NPCs or waves of them against your party.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Hopefully TESO won't be all about "10 vs. 1 big bad giant". I really like the idea of more of an all out PvE war, with several strong NPCs or waves of them against your party.
    Yeah. I remember before SWTOR came out they talked about that same thing. That heroic combat was more about fighting multiple opponents rather than having a raid fight just one bad guy. Too bad they never really followed through with that philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Just a heads up. Tackhisis is known for this...at least in gw2 forums. If I were you, would just ignore him. He doesn't really have a logic here or anywhere to be honest...
    And I was right, as so praised GW2 has managed to lose 75% of players in first 6 months only, for the reason I repeatedly stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    So, you forgot about going into the other faction territories on one character for the 50+ and 50++ content?
    It will be the same content as normal players see, only mechanically buffed to a higher level. That kills replayability right on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    And I was right, as so praised GW2 has managed to lose 75% of players in first 6 months only, for the reason I repeatedly stated.
    Can you provide a source for that please? Or is the source your imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Can you provide a source for that please? Or is the source your imagination?
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/05/ncso...f-total-sales/
    Just ignore him. He has nothing to back up his 75% claim.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted

It will be the same content as normal players see, only mechanically buffed to a higher level. That kills replayability right on the spot.
    Please leave already. You're not contributing anything remotely relevant to this discussion.

GW2 has managed to create some encounters with intresting mechanics without relying on player roles, for example the tentacle monster in the jade fractal dungeon. But scaling in most events just means more NPCs.

I hope the ZO people will manage the scaling of the whole PVE-content without just throwing more NPCs at the players or a flat increase of hitpoints/damage for bosses.

Years of DPSing in WoW i can tell you that when it comes down to it most fights are dont stand here, Move in this pattern, and click this. I dont pay attention to my HP because if im doing what i need to do the healers do the rest. If you take out all the unavoidable damage in WoW raids and give everyone a self heal it would be GW2 but with better boss design. Tanking however does play an important roll as it gives focal points for fights for action to take place.

For instance adds spawning in a WoW raid are picked up by an off tank and focused down, While adds spawning in a gw2 dungeon are spread out and everyone runs around doing their own thing, Its much slower than grouping up the adds and much more chaotic.

Having a main tank helps position the boss in the best spots for the dps to not get hit but also can give some interesting mechanics related to tanking, resulting in Tank swaps or managing CD's.

I dont think the trinity is required for good dungeon gameplay but i think abilites that group up mobs and others that mitgate damage are needed if you dont have a trinity. And then you just need good boss design to where mechanics cant be ignored, but there is some leeway when getting hit by certain mechanics (aka they dont one shot you).

Deleted
    The main reasons for using a trinity are a) the (relatively) easy to structure designs for encounters. If you look through the fancy stuff it's a really straightforward design with only a small number of viable solutions, a bit like chess problems.

But the biggest reason is it takes the need from you to design a good AI. You have a very easy to manage aggro list and can spice this up with little additions here and there like resets, or on-target abilites reducing the number a char has on the list etc. It's really really simple design in terms of AI. Most of the times.

And no, I don't think GW2 has a very good AI. A good AI can also be not the best thing for a game...Enemies which are good at avoidance and can target players with lowest survivability either due to skill or gear could be REALLY annoying.

Break the god damn mold you crazy bastards!

I look forward to seeing this combat system.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Just ignore him. He has nothing to back up his 75% claim.
    I haven't found there total sales numbers or maximum concurrent players in the last month or unique logins in the last month. So it would be reasonable to assume my numbers, proving the mindless 'innovation' not to work.

Are there some undeniable proofs that PvP content will be secondary, optional, comparing to real RPG content? It is not Diablo, so offering to do the same quests in same zones three times on each character albeit with different difficulty doesn't cut it.

We want to know facts that really matter, not being fed with thrifles like ranged mobs keeping LoS or range by the company. It's they who have to proof that they can make a candy out of the most boring and primitive RPG franchise of these days.

Please don't just post to stir up trouble. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-03-30 at 11:56 PM.

I haven't found there total sales numbers or maximum concurrent players in the last month or unique logins in the last month. So it would be reasonable to assume my numbers, proving the mindless 'innovation' not to work.

Are there some undeniable proofs that PvP content will be secondary, optional, comparing to real RPG content? It is not Diablo, so offering to do the same quests in same zones three times on each character albeit with different difficulty doesn't cut it.

We want to know facts that really matter, not being fed with thrifles like ranged mobs keeping LoS or range by the company. It's they who have to proof that they can make a candy out of the most boring and primitive RPG franchise of these days.
    Um... No it would not be reasonable to assume that some random internet guy knows that exactly 75% of gw2 purchasers are no longer playing.

No more reasonable than if I were to say that 100% of gw2 purchasers are still playing.

You are literally make up numbers on the spot based off how you feel. Post supporting evidence.

Deleted
    Good thing you can move during the animation lock!

10+ Year Old Account
    I really want them to release a video showing a play through of a dungeon. They need to start shedding some light on the damn game with some actual decent footage instead of B roll nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Zenimax *claims* that this is their goal. Now, I've been hurt before, so I'm slightly skeptical. But I will literally lose my shit if they keep their promise. I'm getting really sick of poking giants in the ankle...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Zenimax *claims* that this is their goal. Now, I've been hurt before, so I'm slightly skeptical. But I will literally lose my shit if they keep their promise. I'm getting really sick of poking giants in the ankle...
    I'm sure there will be some monsters that are just huge because they are huge not necessarily because they are bosses. I'm thinking of that big flesh atronach thing and also the Daedra that hang about the dark anchors. But normal humans should be human sized. And well giants are already big in Skyrim so why wouldn't they be big in ESO?

From the shadowedmare article...

That works in World of Warcraft, because you have free camera movement, but in ESO you do not, you look where you aim.
    I never really realized that. I know that's how TES games work, but I never added 2 and 2 together. That's going to be like learning how to drive on the other side of the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    looks like something new for ESO not sure if its been posted yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never really realized that. I know that's how TES games work, but I never added 2 and 2 together. That's going to be like learning how to drive on the other side of the road.
    lol fortunately I played TERA for quite some time, so I already got that shit down