Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Why are people so anti-single player rpgs producing an mmo?

It doesn't affect the games previous to the MMO, plus multiplayer makes games a bajillion times better.
    Because there are very few games left that focus on singleplayer, and this could turn over one of the last. Everything is online nowadays, and not everyone is into that.
    Personally, I get almost no satisfaction from multiplayer. Sure it's fun once in a while, but not once the main form of entertainment of EVERY game has become multiplayer.

Oh and by the way, after seeing the screenshots... it only re-enforces my fears. By my standards, this game will likely suck.

So when the previews etc are inc we will have the

THIS GAME WILL KILL WOW FOR GOOD! crowd?

Anyway, not really bothered about this to be honest, only really enjoyed skyrim out of the whole series.

It's the fact that ESO is going to be just your average MMO (as in WoW, WAR, Rift etc) that is dissapointing for me. I would of liked to see something new. CCP can do it with EVE Online so I think the market is there.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

All the features they listed just sound like a Guild Wars 2 clone.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmmm interesting

Intel i5 3570k, Gigabyte 7870 OC 2GB AMD RADEON, Kingston Hyperx T1 2x4GB 1600mhz,
    Seasonic 520w M12, Asrock Z77 Pro4, WD 500GB Blue

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Why are people so anti-single player rpgs producing an mmo?

It doesn't affect the games previous to the MMO, plus multiplayer makes games a bajillion times better.
    I was excited on announcement day for a reason. The Elder Scrolls is as perfect a vessel for building a large-scale multiplayer game as any IP in existence. They're just going in the worst way possible with it.

I have a story that illustrates, broadly, what's wrong with this:

I followed 2 fairly recent Asian MMOs, both handling licenses I was pretty familiar with and enjoyed greatly. Digimon Masters Online, and a Power Rangers MMO. DMO followed the traditional MMO format completely. You gave orders to your digimon through Hotkeys, leveled up to make your digimon evolve, etc. It was monetized in the same way we're all familiar with. The IP has such potential for multiplayer games, and especially MMOs, and yet all the company with the license decided to do was make a traditional Korean MMO with a Digimon skin. The Power Rangers MMO is somehow worse. Developers thought it'd be a good idea to make a Vindictus clone, only bad. How the hell does that fit the Power Rangers at all? Both of those licenses were completely wasted. Were they successful? Of course. They were probably cheap to develop, and the cash shop design centered around what is essentially gambling ensures they'll be scamming kids out of their money for years.

Will ESO be successful? There isn't a doubt in my mind. Does that mean it's putting the IP to good use or that it will be a good game? No. I'm not trying to imply this is exploitative like those two examples above, but anybody should see that Digimon should not be a goddamn hotkey MMO. I hope people understand that reskinning GW for an ES MMO is a sad day for the genre and a terrible waste of potential. I don't expect no-name developers to use their licenses perfectly, but I do expect companies as wealthy and talented as the guys at Zenimax and Bethesda to take some chances.

Oh no Bethesda....no

no,no,no,no,no,no Bethesda no....no,no,no,no

Please no. Oh god why Bethesda...no....please...no

Real reason below V

Bethedsa has little to NONE experience in a MMO environment. They have no idea how to keep servers up and running smoothly 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

Bethesda you have been very successful in making fun,amazing,great selling single-player games. PLEASE FOR LOVE OF CHRIST stick to what you know.
    Last edited by Malcor; 2012-05-05 at 08:06 PM.

Deleted
    I saw screenshots of it, yeah, it's Elder Scrolls. But, it just looks so generic. It doesn't seem innovative. Doesn't get me excited, really.
    It sounds like they're making a mediocre fantasy MMORPG with the name Elder Scrolls strapped onto it.

I'd rather stick to WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcor View Post
    Oh no Bethesda....no

no,no,no,no,no,no Bethesda no....no,no,no,no

Please no. Oh god why Bethesda...no....please...no

Real reason below V

Bethedsa has little to NONE experience in a MMO environment. They have no idea how to keep servers up and running smoothly 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

Bethesda you have been very successful in making fun,amazing,great selling single-player games. PLEASE FOR LOVE OF CHRIST stick to what you know.
    You didn't read anything in this thread, did you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnez View Post
    How does anyone know it plays like WoW? Because it has hotbars? TERA and GW2 have hotbars, for fucks sake the original Planet Side had hotbars.
    Targeting. Nuff said. TERA has no targeting. In TERA you have to aim for yourself which makes pvp there pretty tricky compared to WoW.

Unless it is miraculously going to focus heavily upon creating and enforcing a living, breathing world then I really cannot see this as having the same charm as the single player experience. Call me a cynic, but most of the brilliance in the series is in the depth and immersion. I can't envision much of that if 'Argonilol' is jumping up and down whilst screaming about what he is having for tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    Targeting. Nuff said. TERA has no targeting. In TERA you have to aim for yourself which makes pvp there pretty tricky compared to WoW.
    and just like that....im interested in tera now and would have been interested in ESO if it had taken a chance on real combat like skyrim did.....kudos to tera from breaking away from the norm but for the rest of the game cant vouch for it since i do not know diddley about time to bone up on it

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    Too bad you can't move.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Too bad you can't move.
    Good thing you can move.

This Elder Scrolls Online project is really weird, the great part about all the elder scrolls games is the fact that they are sandbox-rpg's but with this MMO they're basically just keeping the worldmap and changing everything else.

This would have been the perfect franchise to create a mainstream sandbox MMO, but probably the worst franchise for creating a themepark MMO.
    I hope they just decide to scrap this whole game before it's too late.
    Last edited by Ighox; 2012-05-06 at 02:50 AM.

From what I read, this game is following Skyrim in that players can become the Aces of all Trades which I find stupid. Factions should be like they were in Morrowind, in order to progress through the ranks you have to possess the skills required for the position of Archmage for example which required 90 in one magical skill and 35 in two others, along with attribute requirements of 35 to two suitable attributes.

Skyrim was way too simplified, ESO needs to take the route of Morrowind/Oblivion. Have players pick their specialization, 2 favorite attributes, and 5/7 major skills with 5 minor skills being a possibility. Or else people will become bored a lot quicker...

The whole deal with crowning players as Emperors is also quite stupid, the Dragonfires will still be dark... So nothing is really accomplished. Since the title is merely for bragging rights, there won't be any quests dealing with the Dragonfires thus leaving a plot-hole in -already-. Unless they decide to kick the player emperor off and place an NPC in which I would prefer, the daedra will still invade Nirn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekbat View Post
    Probably won't have WoW combat. If it does it ain't elder scrolls
    Oh yes it will

Didn't you hear? That's what the cool kids are doing these days. Copying the tried and true MMO action bar template and sticking familiar lore and landmarks behind it, slapping a recognizable name on the box and hoping to rake in sales based on nostalgia and familiarity!

In my humble, extremely biased opinion, this needs to not happen.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Oh yes it will

Didn't you hear? That's what the cool kids are doing these days. Copying the tried and true MMO action bar template and sticking familiar lore and landmarks behind it, slapping a recognizable name on the box and hoping to rake in sales based on nostalgia and familiarity!

In my humble, extremely biased opinion, this needs to not happen.
    thank god its not bethseda making it so basically theyve kept there word of not wanting to do a mmo but zenimax had to go and fuck them over( it just feels like that to me anyways).....
    ...this is just another mmo to milk cash from elder scrolls and mmo fans
    Last edited by Shroud; 2012-05-06 at 05:56 AM.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

Everyone wants in on those blizzard mmo dollars.
    Seriously tho i hope they handle patching and fixes for this better than they have on consoles for skyrim. My theives guild quests still bug out to this day making it impossible to finish the main storyline. yay bethesda! even still i like there games, tho i would much rather they stick to single player rpgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    Good thing you can move.
    Too bad you can't.

You can't move while attacking in Tera. That kind of ruins the point of action combat a little bit. It's like suddenly everyone is a hunter stutter stepping in Wotlk. Move, stop, autoattack, move, stop, autoattack.

SO FUN
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-06 at 06:26 AM.

My TERA archer can move, even while charging her skills.
    We don't even have a choice. We are born with a killer instinct that you can not just turn off and on.
    We have to be right in the middle of the action because we are the warriors.
    And without some challenge... some d*mn war to fight... the warrior may as well be dead.