Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Yeah I'm not getting why the hell the research times are long, this is a sub game right?

Also I'm really disliking the upgrade system being chance based. Looks like it came right out of a F2P game. It's incredibly frustrating. You can fail a 90% chance, 90%! It happened to me.
    I've even heard of some people failing a 100%.
    Same reason Eve has it, they want you to stand out eventually instead of everyone being the same. With this system, in 3-6 months if you want a specific item enchant there will be specific crafters you have to go to.

In terms of failing, you can take the risk but I never do that. I always go for 100% to craft. The crafting at 100% failing was a bug that was fixed. It happens when you close out of the crafting screen too quickly after the item is created.

Deleted
    Is there a 10-day free trial version of the game like with wow??

Deleted
    Why are these features 'f2p' what makes a feature 'f2p' I for one like the features alot. It might not be the best way to gate (research time) but it's the better then by just letting everyone research every item in a day and letting everyone make the same items from the get go. This makes being able to craft certain items much more special and fun in my opinion.

Besides the upgrading of items, you don't have to take the chance, just go for the full 100% and use the materials or do a little gamble. I think it's a fun way of upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by zylathas View Post
    Why are these features 'f2p' what makes a feature 'f2p' I for one like the features alot. It might not be the best way to gate (research time) but it's the better then by just letting everyone research every item in a day and letting everyone make the same items from the get go. This makes being able to craft certain items much more special and fun in my opinion.

Besides the upgrading of items, you don't have to take the chance, just go for the full 100% and use the materials or do a little gamble. I think it's a fun way of upgrading.
    Fail rates for crafting/learning are generally associated with F2P games, as it's a thing you can monetize. Want to reduce fail rates? Cash shop sells items that do that for you. Generally games will also include time consuming methods of reducing the fail rate in-game, but the easiest way is the cash shp.

As for the long research times, same thing. Want to bypass the overly long research time? Pay to reduce it. Otherwise, just wait it out.

Pretty much any time/failure-based progression system like that is easily monetized in F2P games. Hell, the entire Zynga model is based around monetizing time; time to build/create things, and time you can play the game, n

I have said it several times in guild chat. The research time appears to be from my experience this.

Research time = 6*2^(number of reasearches done).

So first research is 6*2^0 = 6*1 = 6h
    2: 6*2^1 = 6*2 = 12h
    3: 6*2^2 = 24h
    4: 48h = 2days
    5: 96h = 4days
    6: 192h = 8days
    7: 384h = 16days
    and the last one 6*2^7 = 768h = 32days

Choosing the crafting passives can reduce the time, but imo, not that significantly really. If you could have 20% time reduce (is it 20% cant remember) right from the start, all you would save at the end of last research is total of 12days and 18hours. Well... it reduces the total time for researching one item type entirely from about two months to ~1.5months.

This all, ofc if my quick calculations and assumption on research times are correct.

So, if you keep playing and get the passives you should be getting in probably something like half year all of the researches. Personally I havent found any "must have" set locations anywhere. Best that I'm using myself requires only 4research to craft thus required time to get all items with set I want, is rather small. I dont find the research times to be problem....yet at least.
    Last edited by Morae; 2014-04-23 at 07:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Fail rates for crafting/learning are generally associated with F2P games, as it's a thing you can monetize. Want to reduce fail rates? Cash shop sells items that do that for you. Generally games will also include time consuming methods of reducing the fail rate in-game, but the easiest way is the cash shp.

As for the long research times, same thing. Want to bypass the overly long research time? Pay to reduce it. Otherwise, just wait it out.

Pretty much any time/failure-based progression system like that is easily monetized in F2P games. Hell, the entire Zynga model is based around monetizing time; time to build/create things, and time you can play the game, n
    The fact that f2p games make money with it does not make it a f2p feature. The f2p feature is the ability the shorten the research/increase chance (although in eso you do that by using more items you can have a 0% fail chance when you use enough materials) but the fact that it takes time = no f2p feature, just the shortening of the time = f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I have said it several times in guild chat. The research time appears to be from my experience this.

Choosing the crafting passives can reduce the time, but imo, not that significantly really. If you could have 20% time reduce (is it 20% cant remember) right from the start, all you would save at the end of last research is total of 12days and 18hours. Well... it reduces the total time for researching one item type entirely from about two months to ~1.5months.

This all, ofc if my quick calculations and assumption on research times are correct.

So, if you keep playing and get the passives you should be getting in probably something like half year all of the researches. Personally I havent found any "must have" set locations anywhere. Best that I'm using myself requires only 4research to craft. I dont find the research times to be problem....yet at least.
    Yeah, I'm in the middle of a 4 day crafting research right now. So I'm sure it's right. However, I'm not 100% sure how the time reduce works. I don't know if it's cumulative or a flat rate. Meaning, it says 5%, 10%, 15%. Is that a total of 30% or does it max out at 15%?

Personally, this doesn't really bother me. Neither does the upgrade system.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Tera and Aion had those features and they shipped as subscription. Not sure about FFXI and FFXIV do they have the same system?

Eve and Firefall have this system. What other games have long research times? Just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharuko View Post
    Tera and Aion had those features and they shipped as subscription. Not sure about FFXI and FFXIV do they have the same system.
    As far as I remember most of the pre-WoW sub MMO's I played had failure rates on crafting or upgrading as well.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    As far as I remember most of the pre-WoW sub MMO's I played had failure rates on crafting or upgrading as well.
    As well as the opposite, but still accomplishing the same thing, where you have a chance to crit with crafting. This has all existed in normal MMOs and RPGs for a long time.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Just looked it up and FFXIV has the same exact success/fail rate all based on RNG. There goes the F2P only thing out the window. But I am sure when the game goes F2P/B2P it will come in handy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just spent an hour trying to complete the puzzle in Lost City of the Na-Totambu -public dungeon.

Is that even possible to do? -_-

Deleted
    Pretty sure candy crush came before Tetris right ? Right ?

F2P games didn't invent much, they usually just add shortcuts and bypasses.
    For example most F2P games have some kind of currency used for not having to restart the level from scratch when you die. Looks a lot like Mario's mushrooms (1Up's) if you ask me (and probably other games before)

Lineage 2 also had crafting failure, even before going f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Yes.
    /10chars
    Yes!

Yeah trials look extremely awesome.

Also, on that state of the game post they mentioned class balancing, so perhaps nightblades will get a little bit of love :P

Just looked it up and FFXIV has the same exact success/fail rate all based on RNG. There goes the F2P only thing out the window. But I am sure when the game goes F2P/B2P it will come in handy.
    Um...

That's a pretty gross misrepresentation of FF14s crafting. :/ When you fail to craft something in FF14, it's because you either reached too far or didn't do the puzzle properly. It's not like crafting in other MMOs. It's more like a minipuzzle battle.

This is the second time I've seen you say something about FF14 that is very off base... Perhaps you should come play it
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Well, would it have been better to simply not offer the percent chance of success? For example, instead of allowing each reagent to add 20%, upgrading an item simply costs 5 reagents. Is that a better system? There's no chance of failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can actually make it 100% pretty easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post

So, if you keep playing and get the passives you should be getting in probably something like half year all of the researches. Personally I havent found any "must have" set locations anywhere. Best that I'm using myself requires only 4research to craft thus required time to get all items with set I want, is rather small. I dont find the research times to be problem....yet at least.
    Think that was the results I got out of it some time ago during beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Um...

That's a pretty gross misrepresentation of FF14s crafting. :/ When you fail to craft something in FF14, it's because you either reached too far or didn't do the puzzle properly. It's not like crafting in other MMOs. It's more like a minipuzzle battle.

This is the second time I've seen you say something about FF14 that is very off base... Perhaps you should come play it
    It's easy to misinterpret it if you never bothered with it so... yeah... as you said crafting is essentially a mini game within itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Well, would it have been better to simply not offer the percent chance of success? For example, instead of allowing each reagent to add 20%, upgrading an item simply costs 5 reagents. Is that a better system? There's no chance of failure.
    Well personally, I prefer it as it is. Sometimes, I want to gamble. Sometimes I lose everything. Sometimes I win. Such is the way of life. Same as gambling with unidentified dyes in GW2, and to an extend the cards in WoW.
    Mechanics like this are awesome imo, and if you just don't like it you can always farm all the mats for an 100% chance.