Leveling Leatherworking Problem

Hey i have this level 78 hunter who i've rolled Skinning and Leather working on. Skinning has been a breeze but in the midst of leveling up leatherworking i encountered a bump. my Skinning is 450 while my Leatherworking is 315 and ive been spending tons of gold to buy leathers to level up and im honestly fed up with it.

should i drop Leatherworking and roll another profession? or would be shame to let the gold go to waste?

also is Leatherworking worth it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palapwn View Post
    Hey i have this level 78 hunter who i've rolled Skinning and Leather working on. Skinning has been a breeze but in the midst of leveling up leatherworking i encountered a bump. my Skinning is 450 while my Leatherworking is 315 and ive been spending tons of gold to buy leathers to level up and im honestly fed up with it.

should i drop Leatherworking and roll another profession? or would be shame to let the gold go to waste?

Sorry, there just isn't an easy way around it. You can level skinning in a few hours if you want as it's a gathering profession, and possibly the easiest gathering profession to level. To level leatherworking you'll either have to farm TBC mats till you get up to the point where you can work on WOTLK at which point you'll have to farm WotLk mats to get to current Cata patterns/mats. Or you can dump a load of gold into your AH and power level it.

LW/Skinning is a fine choice for a hunter I'd stay with it.

EDIT: The leveling it up through TBC and WotLK skill levels will be the worst. Once you get to Cata it'll go faster and once you're at max level it'll be easy to level it up in MoP when you're on the current skill range. It'll get better. For now I'd just focus on hitting max level then worry about leveling professions. Just skin stuff as you level up and save the leather for leveling your LW skill later on.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2012-05-04 at 12:52 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Make vicious gear once your leatherworking is capped out. The 377 vicious gear sells great to people trying to get into LFR and HoT's.

Spending lots of gold on leather ... skinner... wut?
    Why don't you just go back and farm some leather?

It gives a +80 primary stat boost and you can make your own leg enchants, saving ~1k every time you get new legs. It's most definitely worth it.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2012-05-06 at 10:11 PM. Reason: typo :(

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Spending lots of gold on leather ... skinner... wut?
    Why don't you just go back and farm some leather?

It gives a +80 primary stat boost and you can make your won leg enchants, saving ~1k every time you get new legs. It's most definitely worth it.
    Not to mention that you get your very own bracer enchant from LW.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Not to mention that you get your very own bracer enchant from LW.
    Ye, that was kinda the "+80 primary stat boost" I mentioned

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    and with all the leather wearing pandas comming out in Mop , the price of leather is gonna skyrocket. just think 100,000 new LWs trying to lvl up. I see 5k for a stack of medium leather the first week.

It also looks like leatherworking will have the same style of blue PvP gear to make coming into MoP, which will sell really well to people trying to level and gear multiple characters at once, so much so that I imagine just skinning and selling instead of leveling may be what I do initially (depending on how quickly my guild needs me to level).

LW is a nice raiding profession (drums of speed still work too). It's a mediocre money-maker. And it kinda sucks for overall utility - I've had it on my main since birth, and have not once wore a piece of gear I crafted.

I put skinner/LW on my (opposite faction) hunter alt. I planned my quest zones for maximum skinning opportunties. Targetted specific instances that were really good (Sunken Temple for one) and ran them multiple times. Even then, I had spots where I did little but grind mobs for most of a level to get enough mats for my LW to keep pace. It takes a ton of leather.

That grinding isn't as bad as it sounds - can try to co-ordinate that with rare pet farming for eg.. I managed to nab 2 disgusting oozlings while farming Silithus for leather. Nice little perk.

Edit: Make sure you're going to DM Faire each month.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Ye, that was kinda the "+80 primary stat boost" I mentioned
    You mean +130?

Quote Originally Posted by deftones View Post
    You mean +130?
    no +80, the normal bracer enchant for people is +50 str/agi/int , LW'ers can slap on +130 - difference of 80

great wrist enchant and super cheap leg enchant....LW is great imo. You can sell vicious gear and leg armors. I believe you can make money with any profession, well, all the profs I've leveled have been profitable if you spend the time. Any prof is going to cost gold and the older content mats will be hard to come by. Just stick with it, it'll pay out in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't read the responses, but I finished my LW recently, sadly there is no easy way around it. You are going to spend a small fortune on the AH, or go back and grind out an untold amount of hours skinning, it really is that simple, and it kind of sucks lol

On a side note, I did manage to sell every piece of PVP gear I crafted the last 25 or so levels, and made up a very large portion of what I spent.

Buying the leather? If you aren't too worried about maxing it up before MoP, you could wait until Aoe Looting is available and skin the shit out of all the mobs around you ;D

Deleted
    Keep leveling it you will make your money back and more when MoP is released

Quote Originally Posted by Tinsoul View Post
    I put skinner/LW on my (opposite faction) hunter alt. I planned my quest zones for maximum skinning opportunties. Targetted specific instances that were really good (Sunken Temple for one) and ran them multiple times. Even then, I had spots where I did little but grind mobs for most of a level to get enough mats for my LW to keep pace. It takes a ton of leather.

That grinding isn't as bad as it sounds - can try to co-ordinate that with rare pet farming for eg.. I managed to nab 2 disgusting oozlings while farming Silithus for leather. Nice little perk.
    Good advice. I am leveling LW with skinning right now on a hunter. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would have just banked leather and leveled with mining instead for some extra $$ at 85. I have only equipped one piece of armor I have made while leveling and stopping to gather the mats for some blue piece while leveling just isn't worth the effort when a quest green will replace it in short order.

Every time you get a quest to kill skinnable mobs, just stop and spend another five minutes killing some extra ones for the extra leather. Piece of cake. You will still need a couple of grinding sessions here and there (for me it was heavy leather I had to grind to level) but we aren't talking about hours here. I think I needed to spend about 25 minutes grinding bears in WPL near the Bulwark and that was the worst.

I'm not sure why people keep talking about TBC LW leveling being bad. I found that very easy with no grinding at all except for about 10 minutes trying to get extra fel scales from ravagers.

Edit: The LW power leveling guide on ShadowPanther is excellent.