Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    That's all well and good, except for the fact that some of those conditions aren't noted by the one suffering from them. So even following a diagnosis, they might not be aware (or think they're perfectly fine) of anything wrong with them.
    That is why I put the caveat of initial treatment in there and left 5% for the minority. You're going to see far more "I don't want to take my meds, they make me feel funny," than "I talked to Jesus, he said I'm fine."

Quote Originally Posted by evoco View Post
    That is why I put the caveat of initial treatment in there and left 5% for the minority. You're going to see far more "I don't want to take my meds, they make me feel funny," than "I talked to Jesus, he said I'm fine."
    Agreed. I'd just give it a bit more than 5%, but agreed.

I understand some mental illnesses people can't help...and I would say first case of him acting out with his bi-polar disorder would be to make sure he takes his meds (which do help a lot). Usually people who are bi-polar may not realize it until they have an outburst, and even though someone may get hurt in the process, it is sadly sometimes the only way to find out that hey, this person does have a mental problem. Especially if it develops later in life.

However, I do not think that the kind of behavior that man is doing is acceptable. To me, it means he is either not taking his medicine, or he is doing it on purpose. Either way I think it should be treated like a 3 strikes and you're out scenario when it comes to mental illness. I say hold him in a mental health facility where they can ensure he gets the medication and therapy he needs.

I have known bi-polar people and when they take their medicine you wouldn't even be able to guess they were bi-polar. They just deal with having a mental health condition and accept it's who they are. But at least they do their best to be a good person and fight through the disorder instead of letting the disorder hold them back. To me, it sounds like this guy is just using his condition as an excuse. And for that I say he needs to be put in a mental health facility...he needs to be off the streets because he is a danger to himself and others. One day he could pick a fight with the wrong guy if you know what I mean.

I know some people have legitimate outbursts, and you can usually tell who those people are because it's something that happens every now and again, and it's nothing a little therapy or medicine won't help.