Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    they opted to change the concept instead, making the Barbarian the only character to return as a playable class.
    that doesn't mean it's the same character in the lore, they just meant barbarian was the only class returning from d2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    What happened to the blue tattoo on his face?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    I dont think it was a tattoo. More like Woad. You know, the stuff William Wallace and the other scots (in Braveheart) worn when they fought in battle.
    This reminded me...

Diablo 2 was released June 29th 2000, while Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn was released September 24th 2000.

In BG2, there's a character called Minsc, a bald berserker who has a bluish purple tattoo on his face. When I saw him, I could not but think "hey that's the barbarian from D2". Also, BG2 has an expansion called "Throne of Bhaal", released June 21 2001. In Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, released June 27 2001, Baal has a throneroom with a throne. Also, the werewolf druid in Baldur's Gate 2 looked quite a lot like the werewolf druid in Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction.

These weren't the only things me and my friends noticed between these two games but I can't remember anything else right now. Coincidences I'm sure, but enough to make you wonder.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    This reminded me...

Diablo 2 was released June 29th 2000, while Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn was released September 24th 2000.

In BG2, there's a character called Minsc, a bald berserker who has a bluish purple tattoo on his face. When I saw him, I could not but think "hey that's the barbarian from D2". Also, BG2 has an expansion called "Throne of Bhaal", released June 21 2001. In Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, released June 27 2001, Baal has a throneroom with a throne. Also, the werewolf druid in Baldur's Gate 2 looked quite a lot like the werewolf druid in Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction.

These weren't the only things me and my friends noticed between these two games but I can't remember anything else right now. Coincidences I'm sure, but enough to make you wonder.
    Minsc was in BG1 aswell - from '98. Also Minsc was bald with a purple tattoo (he was a Ranger aswell, only Rangers from Rashemen are more melee oriented), where the barbarian had a ponytail and blue woad. Oh and BG is based upon D&D which is from '74. Not to mention that Bhaal played a rather vital role in BG1 aswell.

And Baal/Bhaal is neither a D&D or Diablo invention (Neither is Mephisto or Diablo for that matter): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal

Oh and it's a werewolf, they tend to look-a-like unless we are talking "Twilight" or "Wolfman".

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    BG is based upon D&D which is from '74
    Well, actually... BG takes place in the Forgotten Realms world, on the planet Toril. D&D is just the RPG system the game uses. Having played pen&paper FR for a couple of decades now, I should know. Nevertheless, I was hardly claiming Baldur's Gate was copied from D2, seeing as though I have pretty extensive experience and knowledge of FR.

Minsc was in BG1 aswell - from '98.
    Yeah, not my point though. My point was that when I saw Minsc again in BG2 I couldn't help but think that my WW barb in D2 was Minsc. Hadn't thought about it before.

Also Minsc was bald with a purple tattoo (he was a Ranger aswell, only Rangers from Rashemen are more melee oriented), where the barbarian had a ponytail and blue woad.
    Saying Minsc is a ranger doesn't really convey the fact that he's pretty much exactly like the D2 barbarian, which is why I called him a berserker instead. Also, I did say he was a bald guy with a bluish purple tattoo on his face, didn't I? Blue or purple, bald or bald with a ponytail, same difference.

Not to mention that Bhaal played a rather vital role in BG1 aswell.

And Baal/Bhaal is neither a D&D or Diablo invention (Neither is Mephisto or Diablo for that matter): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baal
    Again, simply went to show the amazing coincidences in releasing times and content.

Oh and it's a werewolf, they tend to look-a-like unless we are talking "Twilight" or "Wolfman".
    Mm, well being a werewolf fanatic, you will never for as long as you live make me agree with the statement that a werewolf from one production by default resembles that of another. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen. The D2 and BG2 werewolves just were so alike it felt spooky on top of all the other coincidences.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-05-06 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSTMASTER View Post
    Yup I think thats what blizz confirmed too (unless they changed their mind). I had a feeling he was much more 'familiar' with Cain than with the other playable heroes.

As to why he's naked,
    Blizz did a character wipe.

They did change it again. Most likely to avoid having to rework the story to account for one class being so much more familiar with everything going on than the rest.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well, actually... BG takes place in the Forgotten Realms world, on the planet Toril. D&D is just the RPG system the game uses. Having played pen&paper FR for a couple of decades now, I should know. Nevertheless, I was hardly claiming Baldur's Gate was copied from D2, seeing as though I have pretty extensive experience and knowledge of FR.

Yeah, not my point though. My point was that when I saw Minsc again in BG2 I couldn't help but think that my WW barb in D2 was Minsc. Hadn't thought about it before.

Saying Minsc is a ranger doesn't really convey the fact that he's pretty much exactly like the D2 barbarian, which is why I called him a berserker instead. Also, I did say he was a bald guy with a bluish purple tattoo on his face, didn't I? Blue or purple, bald or bald with a ponytail, same difference.

Again, simply went to show the amazing coincidences in releasing times and content.

Mm, well being a werewolf fanatic, you will never for as long as you live make me agree with the statement that a werewolf from one production resembles that of another. Sorry. Ain't gonna happen. The D2 and BG2 werewolves just were so alike it felt spooky on top of all the other coincidences.
    The D2 druid werewolf is hunched, and very slender, with a tail and VERY long claws: http://bestgamewallpapers.com/diablo...ction/werewolf
    The BG2 druid werewolf is very big and bulky, and if anything resembles the werebear more, no tail either: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/4...wolf_super.jpg (brown guy)

... Also you refuse to acknowledge that werewolves from different productions can resemble each other? ... Da fuq >.>

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragora View Post
    They did change it again. Most likely to avoid having to rework the story to account for one class being so much more familiar with everything going on than the rest.
    Aw, that's a shame :s

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Also you refuse to acknowledge that werewolves from different productions can resemble each other? ... Da fuq >.>
    Forgot to say "by default", edited my response to reflect this. You won't convince me, like you were suggesting, that any one werewolf looks just like any other werewolf. I think you said "they tend to look-a-like". Also, going back to that, Twilight has no actual werewolves. It just has shirtless guys transforming into wolves. They have no werewolf form. And no, I'm not going to argue with you about the term "werewolf". To me a werewolf has to have a man-wolf hybrid form, and that's final.

The D2 druid werewolf is hunched, and very slender, with a tail and VERY long claws: http://bestgamewallpapers.com/diablo...ction/werewolf
    The BG2 druid werewolf is very big and bulky, and if anything resembles the werebear more, no tail either: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/4...wolf_super.jpg (brown guy)
    Both have a similar form as opposed to a lot of other werewolves in games, cinema or TV. Both could be werewolves from oWoD, just different tribes. They don't look like a guy in a poorly made suit or just a mask and some chest hair. Silver Bullet (based on Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf) is a great example, mentioned only because its one of my favorites. Albeit that style has been in use later on as well. You mentioned the Wolfman. There are plenty of others as well.

Being in a hunched stance or being more slender, more bulky or more fat, or having a tail or not having a tail aren't really what I was talking about. Also, D&D werebears aren't quite as puny as the werewolf. Werewolves are, IIRC medium in their "war form", whilst werebears are large. Medium is human-size, whilst large is somewhere around 10 feet tall minimum.

In any case, me and my friends found these things to be quite similar back in 2000/2001. You or anyone else is quite welcome to disagree now, if not back then. Besides, this is quite off-topic for this thread, and while I just posted what I thought were fun coincidences and what I personally found amusing back then, I should've expected someone to post with poison and bile basically saying nothing else than "NUH-UH"! So I guess we can leave this OT discussion here.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-05-06 at 11:48 AM.

Didn't Tyreal send the Heroes through a portal before he destroyed the worldstone? I assume they all survive that event, at least.

Blizzard has already said that a few of them, if not all of them, will make cameo appearances throughout the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Blizzard has already said that a few of them, if not all of them, will make cameo appearances throughout the game.
    Great to hear.

So far we got.

Barbarian - Possibly the very same barbarian you were in D2.
    Sorceress - Possible mentor of the witch. Could also be the mother of the witch I think.
    Necromancer - Possible corrupted boss. I would like to see something less cliche personally. Like he died of old age shortly after D2, but when we go to hell(if we do) we find him causing havoc down there for the prime evils. Would be hilarious and epic.

Some of my opinions and what I'd like to see with the other classes maybe.

Amazon & Assassin - Teamed up following the events of Diablo 2 and combined their orders talents. This led to the creation of demon hunters.

Druid - Has been living a nomadic life safeguarding nature and keeping in touch with the Barb(Barbs and Druids become close after Arreat) Occasionally shows up to help your party in some shitty situations or appear as a guide like Medivh in WC3. Comes out of nowhere in crowform in the wilds somewhere, etc..

Paladin - We find out recently perished in recent times due to a heroic sacrifice smiting 1000 demons and undead by himself when the demon hordes began reemerging in defense of a town. We come across the town he saved under siege and a statue in his honor. We go to kill the demon king who slayed him but are overwhelmed until a certain angelic pally comes to our aid and kicks some serious ass.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-05-06 at 01:54 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    Fuck.. now I have to name my D3 Barb after my D2 Barb. Lets go Bubba, we have to think about our 12 year only decision and mistake.
    Hehe, I named my last and most succesful Barbarian WillyWallace. You know, with the blue paint on his face and all.
    I think it's pretty cool to continue with him in Diablo 3. Though I guess we'd see some stupid names indeed, haha.

Blizz already comfirmed that D3's barb is not the same barb from D2 anymore. They changed it. The sorceress from D2 is dead too according to wizard short story.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    Paladin - We find out recently perished in recent times due to a heroic sacrifice smiting 1000 demons and undead by himself when the demon hordes began reemerging in defense of a town.
    Smiting 1000 demons and undead by himself does sound like a paladin. But if he had been a Hammerdin instead of a Smiter, he could've taken tons more!... ... =p

Now having read the Book of Cain myself, I wonder if the assassin from D2 is the same mage hunter that was sent after the wizard of D3... I also wonder if that will actually come up in-game.