Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Class which is most like a Death Knight

Hello Community,
    Although I have been following the Guild Wars 2 information for quite a while, it hasn't been until recently I actually started to ponder the possibility of me playing Guild Wars 2. I actually am getting really interested. The only thing which made me steer away from Guild Wars 2 is the class options. I have fallen in love with that type of class the moment I have touched Warcraft 3 and encountered the "Death Knight" spells and mechanics, the love became a reality when WOTLK came out. Just love the idea of fallen heroes etc... Now I just want to say yes I know there is no DK's in GW2 and that is just copy yada yada yada. And it has been one of my biggest reason I haven't considered playing the game till recently when I started to get really bored in WoW. So I understand there are no Death Knight-esque classes in GW2, but I have an idea and want some thought on it.

These are a few factors which may change my class decision in GW2:-
    -That Death and Decay element -Its relative mechanics to Dk's (Aura's, consistent damage, pets, self healing etc...)
    -Dark and evil like armor - A Form of magic in combination with melee
    -Heavy Armor - Mobile
    -Melee - Two Handed weapons

These really are the types of factors I am looking for in a class I want to role. Now the main problem, two classes I have found fit these roles half-way. Necromancer and Guardian. Now I know what you are saying, "What... these classes don't play like Dk's". Well think about it this way.
    Necromancer: Death and Decay covered, Dark and evil like Armor covered, some form of magic and melee and some mechanics like self healing and pets.
    Guardian: Heavy armor and focus's on melee and magic. Has forms of "Soul spells" (Reminding me of a soul reaper from other games). It also can use two handed weapons, and has that relative game mechanics such as auras, buffs+de buffs and some AoE.

Now I may be wrong in some information, please do correct me! But I am at war with myself as with what to play? No the fact that I can dye armor will cover that dark armor all the time. But I am a very one character sort of player, I love to do everything on just my main character. So I want the communities opinion, what do you guys think would fit my vision for a Death Knight-esque class.

P.S If Necromancer staves can be like scythes and have a melee spell on it I would consider that a two-handed weapon

---------- Post added 2012-05-06 at 04:39 PM ----------

Oh and I thought I would say this, I have a passion for Swords and horses, dunno why I said that but I think it may help you guys see what I am trying to see
    \

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wollveren View Post
    Now I may be wrong in some information, please do correct me! But I am at war with myself as with what to play? No the fact that I can dye armor will cover that dark armor all the time. But I am a very one character sort of player, I love to do everything on just my main character. So I want the communities opinion, what do you guys think would fit my vision for a Death Knight-esque class.
    I know what you mean, I'm the same way, and my main in WoW is a DK so I think I could give you some insight.

One thing to note is that gear isn't class based, but only based around it's type: Light, Medium, and Heavy. So you can be a Guardian with an evil looking set if that's the way you want to go.

What spec do you like the most with a DK?
    If you like Unholy, Necromancer is probably the one for you. You can be melee, but you won't have a 2-handed melee option, but you can dual wield in melee.
    If you like Frost or the combat of unholy and not really the pets and unholy theme, then Guardian is a good choice since it's very close to the spell warrior archetype that the Death Knight is.
    If you like Blood, my personal favorite DK spec, Guardian would be a good choice for the same reasons above for frost. If you like the Blood's life steal, then Necromancer might be a good fit as well.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there's a profession in Guild Wars 2 that has all of your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Wollveren
    These are a few factors which may change my class decision in GW2:-
    -That Death and Decay element -Its relative mechanics to Dk's (Aura's, consistent damage, pets, self healing etc...)
    -Dark and evil like armor - A Form of magic in combination with melee
    -Heavy Armor - Mobile
    -Melee - Two Handed weapons
    A Guardian is a melee profession that has great self-healing if you want it. It can also have aura's and sort-of pets with the Spirit Weapons. It wears heavy armor, can use two-handed weapons (Hammer, Greatsword and Staff) and can, with the right build be quite mobile. It has no dark and evil tone though. The archetype of a Guardian is more in line with that of a paladin.

A Necromancer is mostly a ranged profession. It also has aura-like abilities, it has minions (pets) can self-heal a bit, but it doesn't wear heavy armor and can only use a Staff as a two-hander. Like most other professions it can be played quite mobile. I'd even say it probably relies more on mobility than a Guardian. It does have the "death and decay"-aesthetic.

So, in short: Playstyle-wise, you're probably best of with a Guardian. If you find looks and aesthetic more important, pick a Necromancer.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me take your list and put classes that fit the bill.

-That Death and Decay element = Necromancer and only Necromancer
    -Its relative mechanics to Dk's:
    Aura's = Guardian,
    consistent damage = any class really,
    pets = Ranger, Necromancer,
    self healing = every class
    -Dark and evil like armor = every class
    -A Form of magic in combination with melee = Necromancer, Guardian, Elementalist, Mesmer
    -Heavy Armor = Guardian, Warrior
    -Mobile = Any class really
    -Melee = Any class really
    -Two Handed weapons = Mesmer, Guardian, Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist to a degree

Guardian shows up 9 times
    Necromancer shows up 8 times
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I know what you mean, I'm the same way, and my main in WoW is a DK so I think I could give you some insight.

What spec do you like the most with a DK?
    If you like Unholy, Necromancer is probably the one for you. You can be melee, but you won't have a 2-handed melee option, but you can dual wield in melee.
    If you like Frost or the combat of unholy and not really the pets and unholy theme, then Guardian is a good choice since it's very close to the spell warrior archetype that the Death Knight is.
    Yeah I sort of like the Unholy combat of it, you know less focused on the "BOOM" and more of the depth of it. I was just curious but does all of Guardian's spells radiate blue? because I just hope there is no yellow involved like Paladins xD Saw some videos and was pleased by all the blue.
    \

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I sort of like the Unholy combat of it, you know less focused on the "BOOM" and more of the depth of it. I was just curious but does all of Guardian's spells radiate blue? because I just hope there is no yellow involved like Paladins xD Saw some videos and was pleased by all the blue.
    Classes have a color stapled to them.
    Guardian is blue
    Warrior is yellow orange
    Elementalist is red
    Thief is black
    Engineer is Orange Brown
    Ranger is yellow green
    necromancer is green
    mesmer is purple

Yeah, all their skills are blue,
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-05-06 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me take your list and put classes that fit the bill.

-That Death and Decay element = Necromancer and only Necromancer
    -Its relative mechanics to Dk's:
    Aura's = Guardian,
    consistent damage = any class really,
    pets = Ranger, Necromancer,
    self healing = every class
    -Dark and evil like armor = every class
    -A Form of magic in combination with melee = Necromancer, Guardian, Elementalist, Mesmer
    -Heavy Armor = Guardian, Warrior
    -Mobile = Any class really
    -Melee = Any class really
    -Two Handed weapons = Mesmer, Guardian, Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist to a degree

Guardian shows up 9 times
    Necromancer shows up 8 times
    In my opinion it's a bit more nuanced. Every class has self-healing, but with Guardian it's a part of the profession's identity. Dark and evil armor is indeed a possibility of every profession, but the general aesthetic of each profession doesn't really work with that. Being dressed all dark and evil and then exploding in a shower of butterflies is a bit weird. All of the abilities on a Necromancer have this "dark" feeling to them, whereas the Guardian is much more "holy fire" in terms of aesthetics.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Classes have a color stapled to them.
    Guardian is blue
    Yeah, all their skills are blue,
    Oh phew that actually brings some peace to my mind, favourite colour is actually blue. Seems like Guardian is shaping up to the be the class which fulfills my wants
    \

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    In my opinion it's a bit more nuanced. Every class has self-healing, but with Guardian it's a part of the profession's identity. Dark and evil armor is indeed a possibility of every profession, but the general aesthetic of each profession doesn't really work with that. Being dressed all dark and evil and then exploding in a shower of butterflies is a bit weird. All of the abilities on a Necromancer have this "dark" feeling to them, whereas the Guardian is much more "holy fire" in terms of aesthetics.
    Understandable, but I like the image, personally, of a guardian adorned in black skull-ed armor fighting with rays of blue spiritual light.

That's another thing; Guardians are described as "spiritual" and not "holy"

Yes I see what you are saying, this whole Necromancer dark feeling is really what is making me put the class up there as an option. But the Guardian fits the role of the rest. In your opinion does the "holy fire" actually look like holy fire (as it is blue). To me it looks like blue spirit lasers or something ^^
    \

Deleted
    Guardian reminds me a lot of a paladin they are very similar and if you like paladins will you like guardians. Both have auras, heavy armor, good selfhealing, can use 2h weapons and 1h with a shield,focus or torch and both have a lot of protective spells for you and your group.
    I guess if you like to dps with a DK would necromancer or mesmer would be the best options but if you used to be a tank should guardian probably be the best.
    Last edited by mmoc0393136459; 2012-05-06 at 01:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Understandable, but I like the image, personally, of a guardian adorned in black skull-ed armor fighting with rays of blue spiritual light.

That's another thing; Guardians are described as "spiritual" and not "holy"
    I know they're not holy :-). Charr Guardians would be a bit weird if they were linked to gods.
    And as much as I understand the love for the black skull armor (Try looking up the book Conqueror's Shadow, by Ari Marmell, if you really like that type of armor. ), it's not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a Guardian.
    The Guardian is more the "Furious Avenger of Justice"-archetype while the "Blackened Conqueror of Doom"-archetype is more the Warrior's thing. But don't let that stop you killing people brutally with scary pointy-bits armor as a Guardian.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    I know they're not holy :-). Charr Guardians would be a bit weird if they were linked to gods.
    And as much as I understand the love for the black skull armor (Try looking up the book Conqueror's Shadow, by Ari Marmell, if you really like that type of armor. ), it's not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a Guardian.
    The Guardian is more the "Furious Avenger of Justice"-archetype while the "Blackened Conqueror of Doom"-archetype is more the Warrior's thing. But don't let that stop you killing people brutally with scary pointy-bits armor as a Guardian.
    Yeah; this is the armor I was thinking of btw:

So awesome.

Yeah that armor from "Conqueror's Shadow" is kinda what I envision as dark armor Actually I am surprised you said that Warrior may fit that Blackened Conqueror of Doom, but the thing is their mechanics really don't fit the style of combat, very fast paced and aggressive. Dunno what to say, you are now making me think of adding another option
    \

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that armor from "Conqueror's Shadow" is kinda what I envision as dark armor Actually I am surprised you said that Warrior may fit that Blackened Conqueror of Doom, but the thing is their mechanics really don't fit the style of combat, very fast paced and aggressive. Dunno what to say, you are now making me think of adding another option
    Warriors have no magical connection to speak of. But if you like to rip people's heads open with 2handers like a can-opener then Warrior could be a good fit.

Well aslong as I can look like that, that class would be my best bet. Necromancers are light armor so they probably can't look like that Well I must thank you all for your help (and fast)! I think I may be set on a Guardian and just always making sure I dye my armor Thanks again
    \

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah; this is the armor I was thinking of btw:
    Picture of awesome armor
    So awesome.
    You definitely would want to check out The Conqueror's Shadow. It's a bit of deconstruction of the type of person that would wear such armor, while still being totally awesome.

Well, I didn't try out the Warrior last beta, but this would be my Corvis Rebaine, Terror of the East build. I'm curious if it would actually match the fighting style described in the book.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Why would you like to play something you already do in WoW ?
    If you get a fresh new game just give it a try... But dont be like my dk does this and that i want to do the exact same thing again in a new game.

Deleted
    If Arena Net gave Necro's plate then you'd be in luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    Why would you like to play something you already do in WoW ?
    If you get a fresh new game just give it a try... But don't be like my dk does this and that I want to do the exact same thing again in a new game.
    If you like a certain aspect or playstyle or archetype, why shouldn't you play it? I played a Priest because I liked helping and protecting my allies. Same reason I played my Paladin. So when I started playing Team Fortress 2, I played a Medic. When I played my first game of Dungeons and Dragons I played a Cleric. I've always enjoyed this playstyle and the archetype that comes with it. So when I looked at Guild Wars 2, my first questions were: "How can I help my allies? What profession lets me do that best?"

If you enjoy something, why shouldn't you do that more.
    Resurrected Holy Priest