What headset to pick?

Hi there.

I've recently started looking for a new headset, my current Sennhesier 350 PC is completely worn out.

Thing is, i don't know what's hot, and whats best anymore? I use it for different types of FPS games, movies, music and talking to friends.
    I've been glad for my sennheiser, but i need some change for good.

But i've also start wondering: Do you need a soundcard now adays, to get the ultimate sound? My budget is about 120£, so anything you guys would like to suggest?

- I really would like a headset that goes all around your ears, and completely cover them (:

Deleted
    Integrated audio should be okay inside that budget, unless it's of particularly low quality.

Stay away from USB-connected and "surround" headsets, often advertised as gaming or 5.1 headset. I'm not familiar with UK stores and headsets in that particular price range, so maybe someone else can give accurate recommendations.

Deleted
    Sennheiser PC360 in that case. You LOVED your PC350. Why the need for a change. I have them too, and I can't imagine myself ever of switching again unless I feel the need to go with the 360 just cos i want a newer model

Most comfiest headset I've ever owned and the sound quality is amazing. As I'm sure you know.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nunally View Post
    Sennheiser PC360 in that case. You LOVED your PC350. Why the need for a change. I have them too, and I can't imagine myself ever of switching again unless I feel the need to go with the 360 just cos i want a newer model

Most comfiest headset I've ever owned and the sound quality is amazing. As I'm sure you know.
    This or if you want something cheaper but still great quality, I could suggest a slew of $100-200 headphones with an attachable Zalman $9 mic that should give you the same experience or perhaps even better!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, you probably didn't know that PC350 is still probably one of the best headsets out there in terms of sound quality and comfort. This is Sennheiser we're talking about. If you've managed to wear-out your PC350's (you must've used it a LOT lol) the natural upgrade would be PC360. They seem to be deactivated/out of stock in some stores though.

Or even better, do what Delt said and buy some excellent stereo headphones + seperate mic. You seem to use headphones quite a lot. To get the "ultimate sound" obviously a dedicated sound card will be vastly better than onboard, but decent soundcards definitely don't come cheap and combined with a decent headphones it could send you back a good 200-250£
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I really prefer headphones + seperate mic, but if you prefer headsets I am sure you would like the corsair or steelseries headsets. I have heard alot of good things about the Steelseries 7H, that would be my suggestion. I like my HD555 but it's discontinued, I would maybe look into the HD558 I believe is what it's called + a seperate desktop or attachable microphone. The HD555s are extremly comfortable I love them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post
    I would maybe look into the HD558 I believe is what it's called + a seperate desktop or attachable microphone.
    ^ my exact setup (plus Xonar STX), works like a charm

I am however saving up quite a bit of cash to get a high-end 2.1 speaker setup (or maybe really high-end headphones) that does better justice to that soundcard.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-08 at 01:02 AM.

Deleted
    I'm using the HD558 aswell with a Xonar DX... can't get any better for that price

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by R4yn0r View Post
    I'm using the HD558 aswell with a Xonar DX... can't get any better for that price
    Well your headphones are not getting properly powered/driven, unless you have an external headphone amp, but yeah, it's a kickass setup.

I personally am running a Xonar DX with 2x Samson MediaOne 3A studio monitors, paired up with Logitech Z2300 THX 2.1 speakers, and then a 5th speaker being an Event TR5 monitor. All 5.1 with Xonar DX Audio Center set to 2 channels - sounds bloody amazing and gets gorgeously loud with crisp clean reproduction of the music. I do plan to at some point however upgrade the Logitech speakers and perhaps everything.

I use Shure SRH440 headphones however, with a clip-on Zalman $9 mic. Great setup and works well.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Well your headphones are not getting properly powered/driven, unless you have an external headphone amp.
    I would have to disagree (at least partially). A pair of HD 558 paired with a stand alone sound card like the Xonar DX will sound amazing. Sure, it will sound better with an amp, but not nearly good enough to justify purchasing one (at least not a decent one for say $200-300). After all, the HD 558's are only 50Ω and not that hard to drive "properly".

10+ Year Old Account
    HD558's don't need amping at all, they're only 50Ω impedence. Very easily powered by non-amp soundcards, onboard sound and even MP3 players (my Cowon J3 can certainly do it). Generally the higher-end stuff like HD600 or HD700 series (150-300Ω) is where you need amping.

edit: gah Marest beat me to it.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-08 at 01:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I stand corrected!

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 02:42 PM ----------

Should also mention, if I'd known that HD 558s and the like at that power level could be fine without an amp, I would have totally bought a pair instead of my SRH 440s. =/
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Hello there! As OP i'm also looking for a good headset, but i'd like to stay low budget 100-150 dollars, also, how good are Wireless headsets compared to standard ones?

Does anyone perhaps know a good one? because I usually wreck the wire on my headsets within 2 weeks.
    Last edited by mmoc3e0efa8d7a; 2012-05-08 at 05:14 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theorangebox View Post
    Does anyone perhaps know a good one? because I usually wreck the wire on my headsets within 2 weeks.
    Headsets =/ headphones.

If you have trouble with the wire or the microphone breaking on your headsets, I'd suggest swapping teams and go for a good pair of cans instead (headphones) and a stand alone microphone.

For ~$100-150 budget I'd personally get a pair of Grado SR60i and a Zalman MIC1, but the SR60i's aren't the most comfortable cans. Instead, for long gaming sessions, I'd recommend the Audio Technica ATH-AD700.