Old games like Diablo

I'm less than patiently counting down the days to D3 like the rest of us. I started thinking about games to play to pass the time. Naturally this progressed to games like Diablo. That kicked in the nostalgia bug. I remember playing a ton of hack and slash game because of Diablo. I can remember most of their names except for one. Which was oddly the one I played the most. I am hoping other people here can remember it because it is bugging the hell out of me.

I want to say it was released around the time Dungeon Siege came about, but I could be way off. I remember there were 4 chapters and the end boss was some big bad dragon that was basically threatening the one town you had access to that pretty much represented the whole kingdom. I think after each chapter you got a piece of some crystal or orb that could help defeat the dragon. What I remember specifically was that it had a very active modding community the did a lot of reskins of all of the armor and weapons in the game. which i spend countless hours messing around with. I think I was 16 or so at the time, so I'm gonna guess it was released in 1997 or 1998.

does anyone remember the game at all from these details? probably not a lot to go off of here. they need to make a sound hound app for old games i can't remember

Compiled list from another site, you could search them and see if it's the one you're describing

Darkstone
    Depths of Peril
    Din's Curse
    Fate/Undiscovered Realms/The Traitor Soul/The Cursed King
    Loki: Heroes of Mythology
    Revenant
    Sacred/Underworld
    Sacred 2
    Titan Quest/Immortal Throne
    Torchlight

Hybrids:
    Divine Divinity/Beyond Divinity
    Dungeon Siege/Legends of Aranna
    Dungeon Siege 2/Broken World
    Kult: Heretic Kingdoms
    Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
    Nox
    Soulbringer
    The Bard's Tale (2005)
    Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption

Ancient Evil/The Curse of the Snake Cult
    Dawn of Magic/Blood Magic (RU: Магия Крови)
    Dawn of Magic 2 (RU: Магия Крови: Время Теней)
    Greed
    Harbinger
    Hazen
    Mage Knight Apocalypse
    Necromania: Trap of Darkness
    Restricted Area
    Silverfall/Earth Awakening (RU: Silverfall: Магия Земли)
    Space Hack
    Space Siege
    The Chosen: Well of Souls

And the winner is darkstone. funny it was the very top item. thanks that was bugging the hell outta me.