Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

My previously accounted for $15 a month.

My WoW subscription, which has been active since 2007, conveniently expires at 6:43am PDT on May 14th and I was thinking to myself.."hey, that frees up $15 a month I can spend on other things! woot!"

Now, it's definitely not a huge windfall, but it does create a little wiggle room for those of us on tight budgets. Assuming you are like me and cancelled your wow subscription for D3, do you have any ideas/plans for your now unaccounted for $180 a year?

I used this logic to justify buying a hands-free HD mini-camcorder that I will be mounting on the barrel of my paintball marker. With a huge fundraising game coming up on the 20th, I can't wait to break the sucker out and get some PoV clips of me laying down some paint
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    To vehemently defend the claim like OP would is to present to these very forums a ludicrous display of ignorance and unawareness so profound and comical that it might actually deserve its own time slot on The History Channel.

In before the camcorder ends up getting destroyed by paint balls and Good luck with the fund raiser. I'm stuck in AP atm for D3 so blizz still has a chance to prove to me my 15 is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by fhnhf View Post
    In before the camcorder ends up getting destroyed by paint balls
    Thought of, and accounted for. I paid another $40 for the shock absorbent, waterproof case....as per the suggestion of people who have done it before me.
    To vehemently defend the claim like OP would is to present to these very forums a ludicrous display of ignorance and unawareness so profound and comical that it might actually deserve its own time slot on The History Channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    playing magic: the gathering, although it costs me way more than 15 a month
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Paying 15$ a month for WoW is the most economical way to save money, simply because you will spend way more time on your computer rather than going out and buying 15$ drinks in clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by BestPriestWorld View Post
    Paying 15$ a month for WoW is the most economical way to save money, simply because you will spend way more time on your computer rather than going out and buying 15$ drinks in clubs.
    Hehe, I sorta ran into that problem when I stopped smoking weed. I used to spend $60 a week on bud, and when I quit to save money I made up for the lack of chemically induced entertainment by going out to the bars.....and spending almost $100 a week in the process.

Epic fail.

Well, it will be easy to earn 15 dollars a month from playing Diablo 3...

So Diablo 3 will permit you to pay for your WOW addiction and perhaps will allow for some change to buy a real world ... pants.

Happy gaming )

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Well, it will be easy to earn 15 dollars a month from playing Diablo 3...

So Diablo 3 will permit you to pay for your WOW addiction and perhaps will allow for some change to buy a real world ... pants.

Happy gaming )
    RMAH won't allow non-bots to make real money. There will be bots in week 1 farming everything you're trying to sell and undercutting you to pennies.
    You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Aethilus View Post
    RMAH won't allow non-bots to make real money. There will be bots in week 1 farming everything you're trying to sell and undercutting you to pennies.
    You can't corner a 500.000 player economy.

And

You can't use bots in the highest difficulty, because they'll be dead in 3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    You can't corner a 500.000 player economy.

And

You can't use bots in the highest difficulty, because they'll be dead in 3 seconds.

Clearly you underestimate the power of money and greed.

Bots will be rampant in private games or games where bot "companies" (and I use that term loosely) are all running together.

The $AH will be flooded.

The online pay in D2 was suppose to stop bots and hacks and dupes then as well. It did not and now that some real cash is involved, the type of people that are botters, hackers and dupers will work twice as hard. Much harder than blizzard ever will.

RMAH, Diablo 3 CE, A lot of kopparberg ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Clearly you underestimate the power of money and greed.

Bots will be rampant in private games or games where bot "companies" (and I use that term loosely) are all running together.

The $AH will be flooded.

The online pay in D2 was suppose to stop bots and hacks and dupes then as well. It did not and now that some real cash is involved, the type of people that are botters, hackers and dupers will work twice as hard. Much harder than blizzard ever will.
    The real question is, what will Blizz do about them. Hopefully they crack down on it hard. This is more online than D2 was, very little happens client side, so they can monitor much easier. If they want the RMAH to work right for the players, they will keep an eye on things and keep it locked down well, if they can. On the other hand, they make as much money from a bot as they do a player. So if the bots are running and making money, Blizz is making money. Players can still buy what they want in a safer way through the RMAH and everyone wins except the guy getting beat when his bot doesn't bring in enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    The $AH will be flooded.
    I really hate to make a comparison between WoW and D3, but since we're talking about auction houses and not the game itself, I suppose it can work this time.

While I understand that WoW realms are limited from thousands to a couple tens of thousand accounts, in WoW AH there's no limit how much stuff you can pump into the AH, and there's nothing to stop you from cancelling your auctions and undercutting people 24/7. Yet even with all this it's possible to make money from the WoW AH.

The D3 RMAH, while having a lot more people selling items, will have severe limitations, such as having a maximum of ten auctions at any given time, as well as having your auctions locked after five minutes to 24 (or was it 48) hours, so you can never really cancel-undercut people.

Add to this the fact that WoW accounts cost 15€ while D3 accounts will cost 50€, and there are millions more WoW players to be scammed to get free accounts, and it'll be a much bigger deterrent to be caught botting and having your account banned.

Also, I do understand that a gold-driven economy is much different from the RMAH, and there will be a lot less people buying items from the RMAH and for a lot cheaper, but that will also drive down the supply, and it will cut down on professional bots because it won't be profitable for them.

The RMAH might be flooded but you might be surprised at how possible it still is to make some money in it.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-05-09 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    The real question is, what will Blizz do about them. Hopefully they crack down on it hard. This is more online than D2 was, very little happens client side, so they can monitor much easier. If they want the RMAH to work right for the players, they will keep an eye on things and keep it locked down well, if they can. On the other hand, they make as much money from a bot as they do a player. So if the bots are running and making money, Blizz is making money. Players can still buy what they want in a safer way through the RMAH and everyone wins except the guy getting beat when his bot doesn't bring in enough.
    As I said you can not corner a 500.000 player market. You can't control anything with such numbers. People - or organisations - who will try that will loose money BIG time.

Secondly: the difficulty of the end game (where the best mats and loot is found) can not be botted. The bot is dead on arrival in such levels.

Thirdly like you stated: Blizzard THIS time around has ALL the tools in hand. Of course they have the central tracing tools already in place.

So anyone banned is simply losing 60 bucks on yet another Diablo 3 copy.

And perhaps the most important part: I undercut any organisation by a wide margin because I play for fun and 1 dollar profit is a dollar of "fun" to me not a bread on a plate.

Deleted
    People bickering about RMAH, how do you not realize what having the items serverside means for D2 kind of cheating?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    People bickering about RMAH, how do you not realize what having the items serverside means for D2 kind of cheating?
    People will still find ways to cheat. Packet altering to trick the server into thinking things happened that didn't can and will happen. I believe some things already happened in beta. Blizz is smart, but there is always someone smarter. I have no doubts that cheating/botting of some sort can and will happen. Excluding that, chinese farmers will probably be able to control parts of the market as well. It will be more difficult, and more than likely monitored and shut down quicker due to the RMAH and things being server side, but it will still happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are really no hobbies that cost as little as 15$ a month. If they do - you arn't participating in a hobby, your just screwing around.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
    My WoW subscription, which has been active since 2007, conveniently expires at 6:43am PDT on May 14th and I was thinking to myself.."hey, that frees up $15 a month I can spend on other things! woot!"

Now, it's definitely not a huge windfall, but it does create a little wiggle room for those of us on tight budgets. Assuming you are like me and cancelled your wow subscription for D3, do you have any ideas/plans for your now unaccounted for $180 a year?

I used this logic to justify buying a hands-free HD mini-camcorder that I will be mounting on the barrel of my paintball marker. With a huge fundraising game coming up on the 20th, I can't wait to break the sucker out and get some PoV clips of me laying down some paint
    I would grow too bored with w/e I bought with the $180 in a matter of days, maybe hours; then just go back to WoW to keep my boredom at a safe level.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    It's apparently that you we're either not around for D2 or just not around at the beginning or maybe you forgot.

D2 was sold with the online option as well. It was to be this massive limitation to hacking, duping and cheating cause toons that were created for online only use was never stored on your PC. They were blizzard servers only.

In the end, D2 had massive hacks, duped items and bots. Difficulity of the final level will not matter. As it seems that particular level of content will be hard for everyone, no group gets excluded.

However, nightmare will not be and thats where money will be made, as it gets people ready for Inferno.

The hacks, bots and duped items will be there just as they were in D3.

Lathais had it right though. What will blizzard do when it happens cause it will happen. Why? When real money is at stake some people will do anything for it.

Deleted
    do you have any ideas/plans for your now unaccounted for $180 a year?
    I can sell you my 5 year-old drum set. Become the world's greatest drummer for only 180$!