Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

What kind of MMO do YOU want?

With recent threads regarding TES: Online (and others) often becoming discussions about what MMOs should be like rather than about the game the thread was created for itself, I thought it might be a good idea to create another of these threads. Afterall, we're all here on this forum because we love, or at one point loved, MMOs and all of us probably want them improved upon or see different iterations of them.

I urge people to refrain from talking about "I want a MMO in the X universe" because the discussion I'm looking for here should be about mechanics, basic setting, aesthetics etc: Everything that every MMO has in one shape or other but we don't have to be so specific as to talk about a already known IP.

Personally I have grown tired of the "Themepark" MMOs. Reason? I see them as inferior games that have to put a carrot on a stick in front of you to keep you playing, most of the time I play these kinds of games, like WoW or SWTOR, games with gear grinds, without even being mildly interested as I know that I'm on a long hike towards the gear that will allow me to enjoy the PvP of the game. Due to time constraints I often never reach that goal and I'm stuck in a cycle where I'm aleays at least one step behind and never get on equal footing gear wise compared to the majority of the people who frequent PvP.

I'm looking for a sandbox game with a big open world where every player can be an asset or a danger. A game that doesn't have levels or gear in the traditional sense but rather has gear drops as solely cosmetic things and a combat system designed around skill, reactivity and adaptability. Think Dark Souls, where a fully armored knight will move slowly and hit slowly yet hard, and a rogue-type character will be nimble and quick but won't last long at all in combat and due to using lighter weaponry will deal less damage. Something like that, I really think it could be done with the technology of today if someone is willing to push some boundaries.

A game with a large open world with city and/or castle building by player guilds or equivalent, wars between said guilds over territory and strategic points, and so on. I am certain that there are games that have had some of these features, but not all of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pokemon.

That is all.

For me the ideal MMO: Condensed good story line for a character with 1-3 companions each with it's own mini story. No bull shit side quests you don't care for should be required to level to max. Challenging pve that does not require fixed raiding schedule. Horizontal gear progression. Rated pvp both solo/duo queue and premades
    . Optional is open world to explore ala GW2 and being able to use alts to form solo group for pve instances.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Personally, I want one that has a good crafting system, not this bullshit that WoW and many others released after it have had. I want a blacksmithing craft that is more than just get some metal bars, then get these other metal bars, then go to someone else to get this really good kind of bar that can only be made once a day, and get some type of element, and if you want to make a really good piece, go into a dungeon and get an orb.
    Player built housing, player built cities, guild cities, all equipment built by players. Art direction that is a bit more realistic looking when it comes to creatures and races, with as little stylization as can be.

Really, I want something that is similar to pen and paper Dungeons and Dragons, but with MMORPG aspects to it. The game world being an absolutely gigantic sandbox.

I want an MMO where only I have what it takes to get the best gear. And the only daily quest is one where everyone else has to kneel before my character and inspect my gear. Also, those that play less than me can only atain the title "n00b", and those that play more can only get the "no life" title. And pirates, pirates would be cool.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    For OT and #4, check out Mortal Online. might be a bit what you're looking food.

As for myself. I want a solid game where skill matters more than gear. I'd like a game without overarching levels. But levels in a skill (sorta how it is in EVE).
    With engaging combat that takes aming etc etc.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    I want something different that entertains, enlightens, and enthralls. A themepark sandbox hybrid that lets the player make their own way in a wide open world that is simultaneously familiar, mystical, and alien. I don't want to feel trapped by GCD's, CD's, or Ability Trees. If I want to make a magic wielding, two handed sword using, bazooka toting, plumber? I want the game to allow, and even encourage, me to do just that. I don't mind if I'm weak in all four because I don't focus on one, "I dropped out before we got to 'plunging' in that class." I still want to be able too.

That's the kind of MMO I want.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

No instances. No numbers.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Space combat sim MMO.

Like EVE except with fully-realized and interactive ship interiors, NPC crews, and player avatars that can be "driven" on stations and on planetary excursions. X3 nearly nailed it but it wasn't multiplayer and didn't have the station/planet components I've been looking for. SWTOR has a chance to kick some ass in this area, but Bioware isn't talking about their plans for space. The potential is certainly there...

I guess I'll keep waiting.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

15+ Year Old Account
    Space done right. Think Mass Effect, with less mass effect and bioware messing around with it. Think Star Wars factions with Star Trek adventures, going where no man or no one has gone before. The key to a space mmo is the difference in every location, what makes them otherworldly is what would make this game. Seeing the same architecture and design on every planet would just make it fail. Chances of my mmo happening, very slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Pokemon.

That is all.
    Ohgodyes.

Or something that feels like less of a chore. The hardcore players can play their 1337tearprocontent and the casuals don't have to be repressed by having little to nothing available to them. And a community that doesn't rapidly degrade into jerkfaces or morons.

And fun to play with an exciting story. Something in which you can immerse yourself.

Deleted
    Star Wars Galaxies.

Sandbox
    Space Combat
    Ressources with stats
    32 professions full of different skills
    Skillpoints spent on any skill from any tree
    Pure non-combat professions in the 32 professions
    Player-driven economy where the best items are made, not looted
    Advanced crafting where stats on ressources decide crafted items quality

And my personal favorite:
    Unbalanced combat. Because life ain't balanced. A chef doesn't do the damage that a soldier does*.
    Of course, life as a soldier is harder and more boring than life as a chef. The game should simply reflect this.

*) Unless the cook is Steven Segal, obviously. - And in SWG, you could be a cook with some nasty melee skills as well.

Deleted
    I want UO with Skyrim graphics , Tera combat , SW:Galaxies crafting and Rifts talent trees.

Guild Wars 2, cheers.

Throw away levels, throw away subscription fees, expand on instances, make a decent story that allows heavy player input and creation, throw away the gear treadmill and don't focus everything on combat. Make it accessible and simple, allow me to make decent progress in an hour of play a day, and accommodate all play styles, hardcore, casual, solo, large group, PvP, PvE, simple casual stuff, everything. Create a living, breathing world out of the simplest of gameplay mechanics, and then let the players themselves create the complexity or thrive in the simplicity.

Basically, I want the best parts of Harvest Moon combined with the best parts of Skyrim combined with the best parts of EVE.

Deleted
    The type I want will never exist. I want a game where I can loot a pvp corpse clean including his bank account ofc. Just kidding or am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Pokemon.

That is all.
    This. Pokemon MMO#1 w/ a bullet.

Or an updated, modern Everquest. Not Everquest 2 or 3. I mean the original Everquest with modern design, polish and feel.

- VO for NPCs
    - World, personal and zone related questing
    - Open and closed, massive and difficult raiding
    - Long milestone cycles
    - Dangerous world
    - Team dependent
    - Multiple paths of progression
    - Massive stat and class building depth
    - Party scaling dungeons
    - Important & decisive faction reputations
    - No PVP bullshit

Give me that in the Everquest 1 world.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-05-09 at 11:07 PM.

pokemon would be awesome, but i would also like to try some really good and cool FPS mmo

10+ Year Old Account
    Post Apoc. Anything that isn't in the realm of medieval high fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Post Apoc. Anything that isn't in the realm of medieval high fantasy.
    Fallen Earth is actually a rather decent MMO set in a post-apoc world. It's sorta a sandbox MMO but does things somewhat different than typical hotkey MMOs. Def. has it's own style but worth a try if you are willing.