10+ Year Old Account

[Books] Regular Fiction Thread

Most people that frequent MMOC tend to gravitate almost unanimously towards fantasy or science-fiction or a similar genre. So, I thought I'd open the door for people to talk about regular fiction (i.e. non-genre works).

Lately, I've been focusing on a lot of books that border heavily on magic realism (not at all to be confused with genre-fantasy for the uninitiated). A friend told me to read John Updike for his awesomely perfect prose, but I've always been bored by his "Rabbit" series, so I pounced through "Witches of Eastwick" instead. The only conclusion I drew from that book is that the human condition is more frightening than any horror movie. That and, "Bitches, man!"

Please share your own regular fiction experiences here, I feel as though I haven't seen enough of them on this forum.

*Meaning not fantasy, sci-fi, adolescent, romance, horror, etc.

---------- Post added 2012-05-10 at 09:12 PM ----------

I'm honestly going to be sad if no one that comes here reads non-fantasy fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    I'm honestly going to be sad if no one that comes here reads non-fantasy fiction.
    SADNESS BE GONE! For i am here to share some of my favorite fiction of the non-fantasy/sci-fi persuasion...

Firstly I will admit i do read more fantasy than probably any other genre, but I do venture out occasionally. Here's a list of some of the stuff I've enjoyed:

Anything by Arthur Nersesian (The Fuck Up, Chinese Takeout & Unlubricated probably being my favorites). His style can be most aptly described as simply "New York". His works almost always tend to focus on downtrodden individuals just trying to survive in gritty, urban societies. I'm not sure what exactly manages to draw me into his characters, but they tend to feel like real people. They also tend to be artistic in some form or another, and the way he writes their love of their craft conveys his passion for his own.

Anything by Dan Brown (Yes they guy who wrote the Da Vinci Code....hear me out! lol)...While i did enjoy Angels&Demons, The Da Vinci Code and The Lost Symbol I think people only make such a big deal about em because of all the religious controversy that surrounds them. Take that away and they're just decent reads. I liked two of his older books (Deception Point & Digital Fortress) much better and found them to be much more satisfying without all the religious mumbo jumbo added in.

hmmmm, I'm thinking but other than Thomas Harris and the Hannibal Lecter books (which everyone should already know about, even if they haven't read em) I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I'll check my bookcase later when i get home and possibly add more

15+ Year Old Account
    George Pelecanos has a bunch of great crime novels set in D.C. ranging from the 40's to present day. I like James Ellroy (especially the L.A. quartet) and Dennis Lehane as well. Both Pelecanos and Lehane did some writing on The Wire, if you've seen that. Their books are somewhat similar to that.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    SADNESS BE GONE! For i am here to share some of my favorite fiction of the non-fantasy/sci-fi persuasion...

Firstly I will admit i do read more fantasy than probably any other genre, but I do venture out occasionally. Here's a list of some of the stuff I've enjoyed:

Anything by Arthur Nersesian (The Fuck Up, Chinese Takeout & Unlubricated probably being my favorites). His style can be most aptly described as simply "New York". His works almost always tend to focus on downtrodden individuals just trying to survive in gritty, urban societies. I'm not sure what exactly manages to draw me into his characters, but they tend to feel like real people. They also tend to be artistic in some form or another, and the way he writes their love of their craft conveys his passion for his own.

Anything by Dan Brown (Yes they guy who wrote the Da Vinci Code....hear me out! lol)...While i did enjoy Angels&Demons, The Da Vinci Code and The Lost Symbol I think people only make such a big deal about em because of all the religious controversy that surrounds them. Take that away and they're just decent reads. I liked two of his older books (Deception Point & Digital Fortress) much better and found them to be much more satisfying without all the religious mumbo jumbo added in.

hmmmm, I'm thinking but other than Thomas Harris and the Hannibal Lecter books (which everyone should already know about, even if they haven't read em) I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I'll check my bookcase later when i get home and possibly add more
    I've tried reading Harris and Brown. With Harris, I spoiled it for myself by watching the films first and skipping through the books to find the differences. I particularly enjoyed that Clarice Starling turned cannibal in the novel version. With Brown, I admit, I only made it about 5 pages, the way the man writes sentences really turns me off (which is ironic, because a computer program once compared my own writing style to his own); and you're right about the religiosity over-hyping the series. I've heard of Nersesian, especially Chinese Takeout, but have never made an attempt to read him. I suppose I have enough downtrodden urban grit in my own life...

---------- Post added 2012-05-12 at 04:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lzsg View Post
    George Pelecanos has a bunch of great crime novels set in D.C. ranging from the 40's to present day. I like James Ellroy (especially the L.A. quartet) and Dennis Lehane as well. Both Pelecanos and Lehane did some writing on The Wire, if you've seen that. Their books are somewhat similar to that.
    Ellroy is one of those authors you know has to be good, because his film adaptations are so impressive. Judging by your lineup, you must really love anything with a strong noir flavor.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-05-12 at 06:08 PM. Reason: written=>writing; must have been half asleep